Poll: What is the best video game of all time? The best ever made

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

The best video game of all time?

I've frequently talked with some people about what is the objectively best video game of all time, there is a lot of potential games that could be based on certain criteria but I'm just making this poll to get some more results of what people think. My personal opinion is down below. Keep in mind that if your game might be missing then it's because there can only be 20 options

I feel like Ocarina of Time is the number#1 game ever made on most lists for a good reason. The first time I played it as a child I was absolutely blown away. I would spent months.... no... more like 2 years without managing to complete the game yet slowly progress trough it. Everything about it was awesome and flawless. The game is just well made in every aspect and blows away practically every supposed triple A title that releases nowdays with ease.

It had an amazing combat system, good graphics for the time, a huge amount of content, more than single player games have that come out today. A lot of things to collect. A lot of things to discover. A good story. Amazing music. There is so much about it.
    Last edited by mmocfb72b6c64d; 2016-06-28 at 04:32 PM.

It's better if you limit it to genres, games are very diverese. On the topic of OoT: it's shit if you didn't play it back when it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

You're not going to be able to do a poll on this with any finite list of games. There are too many games to cover.

That being said I would probably say the Civilization series is the best game. There have been other iterations that have been better than others but from the first to the most recent one has all been very satisfying experiences.

Ocarina of Time was definitely great....I didn't even care for Zelda, but I still had a lot of fun with it

as far as "best game of all time" -- I could never actually say just ONE. lol

but for sake of the topic. - Mario Kart 64

It was just such a simple game and when you grabbed some friends, you could play all day. The satisfaction you get when hitting your buddy on a ramp and making him plummet to the lower track and essentially going from 1st to potentially being lapped was hilarious. Don't want to race???? Go to the battleground and just shoot the crap out of each other and see who loses their balloons first. lol

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unpopular opinion time: The best video game of all time is no older than 10 years old because of technical improvements made. Only nostalgia makes people look at an N64 game and go "Wow, that game blows even 2016's GOTY away!"

Zelda: OoT.

It was just some thing truly special. It was a time before online guides and I still finished it 100%, good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played Mario in forever but I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 64 being major gaming moments for me.

Mass Effect overall for me, loved every minute of them. If I was able to only choose one game The Last of Us would be it. Not sure what it was but I loved that game and I got invested in the characters.

Mount and Blade Warband (with the help of the modding community) is a top contender for me, I still play it from time to time and it's still great.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

As much as I dislike the current form of WoW, I think saying it's not my favorite game of all time would be disingenuous. I have well over a year played on WoW. Every other game I ever played combined wouldn't even match half of that. Real talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Objectively best: no such thing.

Subjectively best: Planescape: Torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Naralix View Post
    objectively best video game of all time
    There's simply no such thing.

"Best" in this context means the video game with highest quality of all time. And quality in this sense is almost exclusively attributed by human taste and opinion, and therefore impossible to be objective.

I absolutely love video games, and there's plenty titles which I find absolutely amazing in different ways, along with others which I deeply respect for what they are even if I haven't played/finished or even if I don't really like them. Would be impossible for me to do anything resembling of a ranking even in a very subjective way, because when a game is really good most of the times I'm not even thinking about the individual aspects of the game, just enjoying the experience. And it's very hard to really tell which one is "best" amongst several great experiences.

Prety much all the games on the list are quite good (or the series mentioned had very good games) and/or plainly genre-defining/iconic classics.

I will mention a fairly hidden gem of the PS1, though, not for being the best video game of all time, but for being one of the most inventive/unique videogames I tried gameplay-wise, especially for its time, and for being a special part of my childhood:
    Ape Escape
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-06-28 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Unpopular opinion time: The best video game of all time is no older than 10 years old because of technical improvements made. Only nostalgia makes people look at an N64 game and go "Wow, that game blows even 2016's GOTY away!"
    I kiiiind of agree, in the sense that a lot of modern games tend to be objectively better than their older counterparts when viewed in a vacuum. That being said, games can still be judged on the criteria of how good they were *at the time*, and I think it's important to recognise that. There are a lot of old games that were clearly much greater triumphs in creativity and design expertise compared to more iterative modern titles that built upon their successes.

However, even if newer games are sometimes less impressive in terms of the creative work that went into them, that doesn't change the fact that the end result is still something phenomenal that frequently surpasses the old classics. I'm fairly certain that my "favourite game of all time" has yet to be made, and probably won't be until I'm old, since every few years a new title comes out that steals that spot for me. When I was a young teenager I was in love with Final Fantasy. As I got a bit older WoW came along and dominated my gaming schedule for many years. Then I played the Portal games, and Portal 2 quickly became my favourite title of all time. After I played Telltale's The Walking Dead and fell in love with a little game called Awesomenauts, I had to rethink my preferences yet again.

Just last year I played many games that all vied for the #1 spot, and as of today my favourite game of all time is Ori and the Blind Forest, followed closely by Undertale.

Thinking back on how many times I've been wowed by new games over the years really makes me excited for what's to come, because I'm sure my list of favourites will continue to change as the years go by.

It has to be wow by a landslide in shear terms of time investment and replay. I feel it will be a lot of people's best game if they were being honest with themselves. But liking wow is an unpopular opinion.

Nintendo nostalgia though is a powerful thing. Ocarina of time, mario 64, banjo kazooie, super metroid and metroid prime are very much up there as games I was completely obsessed with. Ocarina definitely felt like the most perfect piece of gaming ever made when I got my hands on it.

Deleted
    No baldur's gate, no planescape: torment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pokemon Silver and just the entire series in general. Incredibly simple to pick up but has surprising amount of depth. Great gameplay loop and sense of character progression. And honestly, the fact that I have Pokemon in the latest game that I caught 10 years ago, speaks to how much I love the series.

Considering the list is extremely shallow with big name titles and it's really hard to classify "best" with me I will just state my favorite games from each generation.

8 Bit(1984-1990)- Super Mario Bros 3
    16 Bit(1990-1996)- Final Fantasy VI
    32/64 Bit(1996-2000)- Everquest
    Shaders are born(1999-2006)- Shenmue II, honorable mentions to World of Warcaft and Jet Set Radio Future
    HD(2005-2013)- Persona 4 Golden, Valkyria Chronicles and The Last of Us. No I won't choose between the 3.
    Current gen(2013-) Witcher 3

Some of my fav games:-god of war 3
    -dark cloud 2
    -ni no kuni
    -shadow of the colossus
    -kingdom hearts 2

hopefully:-horizon zero dawn
    -the last guardian
    -ni no kuni 2
    -kingdom hearts 3
    -god of war "4"

Mario 64.

Best platforming experience ever created imo.

There's no poll that could ever possibly cover all of the options...well, ok, one COULD devise such a poll, but it'd take forever and ten days to tally results, unless you count the number of voters on one hand.

I can't pick a single game as GOAT. I've enjoyed far too many games equally to limit myself to picking one above all the rest.