Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Mentally Ill entitled to Mobility in the UK

Most people won't know what Mobility is regarding this so i'll explain. In the UK if you have a disability you're entitled to a free vehicle which usually gets replaced every 5 years. If you're severely physically disabled you get an adapted van with a lift/ramp. Apparently they're trying to cut back and replace vans every 10 years to save money yet they're now allowing people with mental illness (social anxiety etc) a free car every 3 years because apparently they can't handle public transport

Curious what you think

If it works and is effective, good.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda funny that if they cannot handle public transport how will they handle shopping?
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Most people won't know what Mobility is regarding this so i'll explain. In the UK if you have a disability you're entitled to a free vehicle which usually gets replaced every 5 years. If you're severely physically disabled you get an adapted van with a lift/ramp. Apparently they're trying to cut back and replace vans every 10 years to save money yet they're now allowing people with mental illness (social anxiety etc) a free car every 3 years because apparently they can't handle public transport

Curious what you think
    Sounds expensive. Can't they take public transportation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Kinda funny that if they cannot handle public transport how will they handle shopping?
    Because shopping happens in a relatively open space and I can just leave if my symptoms act up. Also I hate shopping alone too, I usually only go once a month and stock up.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...yet they're now allowing people with mental illness (social anxiety etc) a free car every 3 years because apparently they can't handle public transport
    Not to down talk social anxiety (and yes, they CAN'T handle public transport because social and anxiety), but what would the point be to get a free car if you're terrified to go out in to the public in the first place? As to other mental illnesses... why would they need a free car? Assuming their ability to drive is not impaired in the first place.

Depends how it's screened.

I order all my groceries and stuff online now, from Amazon and Walmart. That will be a real boon for people who can't leave their houses. I kind of miss shopping at times.

Also I have a ton of boxes in the garage.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good that a government is taking mental illness seriously.

Deleted

Curious what you think
    I sometimes have input in that I respond to PIP enquiries from DWP/Atos. The mobility component is not really given for a car as such (I've never replied with such a response for PIP or DLA). It is sometimes the if you have someone who is often housebound with a severe and enduring mental illness but may need to be accompanied by a carer to outpatient clinics, or day care (both of these might even, rarely, be mandated by a CTO), or to complete daily tasks, and it is not possible that they are able to use public transport then the purpose is that they or the carer are not out of pocket. So they rightly qualify for the mobility component.

I think any spurious reporting around this centres on the confusion of how the private leasing companies that provide transportation on a cost renewal schedule linked to the mobility components of some benefits.

It shouldn't be a case of "I'm a bit sad bung me a free car that I can get through the lease companies that will provide one pro rata for me mobility component" though I am sure a minority will game the system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    ASDA, Tesco and ton of other retailers offer home delivery. You just go online, pick your stuff, choose a delivery date, put your credit card and wait on your ass until un-naturally happy delivery guy brings your grub in trays.

In the case of social anxiety it's pretty well understood that avoiding social contact only reinforces the anxiety. You might argue this is a sort of gradual exposure, though I see it more as a crutch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    ASDA, Tesco and ton of other retailers offer home delivery. You just go online, pick your stuff, choose a delivery date, put your credit card and wait on your ass until un-naturally happy delivery guy brings your grub in trays.
    In cases such as this people will often qualify for the lower rate mobility components so that they can pay the deliver charges. It isn't as cut and dried as that as it is a point based system. I don't deal with appeals when actual nitty gritties get argued about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Oh cool. All I need to do is stay on this forum a few more years and I'll get a free car /salty.

But yeah. Not sure it's a good idea. I take it only certain mentally disabled people get their free car?

My first reaction was to say how ridiculous of a thing this is (and I still think every 3 years is way to often) but after giving it some thought, I can actually understand it.

I have rather severe Social Anxiety. I take medication and even then prolonged time spent in specific situations cause some major problems, shakes, hyperventilating, extreme fatigue, even fainting once. For me the anxiety is only really bad in, non-structured social situations with a large number of people, I don't know, where I am "forced" to interact, so this kind of thing wouldn't be necessary for me. For some people being in a small confined space with a large number of people is enough for them to experience these symptoms and others. I met someone in a group once who talked about how she did all of her shopping after 10pm just so she wouldn't be around many people. A private vehicle or taxi (which can easily add up to more than the cost of a car) may physically be the only way for some people to get to doctor/therapist appointments, get to work, go see friends/relatives (without them having to pick the person up), etc. Just getting everything delivered and never/rarely leaving their houses can lead to severe depression and be much less healthy in the long run.

Overall, just saying anyone with a mental illness can get one would be wrong and open to a lot of abuse from people who don't absolutely need one, but there are situations where I can see the need.
    Last edited by Utinil; 2016-06-28 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    In the case of social anxiety it's pretty well understood that avoiding social contact only reinforces the anxiety. You might argue this is a sort of gradual exposure, though I see it more as a crutch.
    Avoidance is a problem, but sometimes when the anxiety is too great starting smaller is more effective at reducing the anxiety.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Oh cool. All I need to do is stay on this forum a few more years and I'll get a free car /salty.

But yeah. Not sure it's a good idea. I take it only certain mentally disabled people get their free car?
    Hint: it's much more usual the DVLA gets written to so that driving is suspended.

10+ Year Old Account
    What car can they get though? A Kia Picanto or something?

Deleted
    I guessed from before I even checked that this was a Daily Mail story (it is).

Essentially what is happening is that some tory cunt in westminster thinks he can save money by fucking over disabled people in some way.

Now there is a problem with that because overtly kicking cripples makes them look bad.

So, they ring up their friends at the Daily Mail and tell them to find stories where disabled people have abused the system. Naturally, there
    are a large number of claimants and a tiny minority are frausters, but it is very easy to blow this out of proportion. This gets reposted
    by right-wingers all round the web.

Suddenly the UK public is up for blood. Then the government introduce the new measure, in this case resulting a vastly reduced quality of life for thousands of desperate people who can't walk.

The amount of money saved will usually be dwarfed by the amount the Daily Mail's owner evades through tax, but let's not worry about that when we can fuck over some of the most vulnerable people in society.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    What car can they get though? A Kia Picanto or something?
    Basically any car you can lease, depending on how much money you want to pay in advance and what rate of care you qualify for;
    http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-sco...finementForm=1

If you sort it from high advance payment to low you can see some mercs and stuff (but it's unrealistic that someone requiring the full rate of care will have £3k lying around).