Arms vs Fury in Legion

Hey everyone, I'm starting to do some pre-legion research to decide what I want to main (right now I'm between warrior and demon hunter) for heroic and mythic raiding.

Currently my main is a fury/arms warrior. I had a couple of questions as a member of the no-beta club (going through all the pages of the fury/arms discussion threads seemed a little daunting):

1. As they were in WoD, is fury still the single target/burst aoe spec and arms the cleave/execute spec?

2. What are the most notable changes to fury and arms in terms of their rotations?

2. How does fury/arms damage in the latest beta build compare to other classes?

3. Based on your beta experience and in your opinion, do you find the current state of fury/arms to be engaging?
    Last edited by Svendd; 2016-06-29 at 03:28 AM.

I am also interested in this, I am in the same situation.

I'd say Fury is still more of the AoE spec, but it's also the execute spec due to the artifact perks you unlock. Arms hasn't changed as much because it still relies around the colossal smash window (yawn) and fitting in as many big hitters as you can. While fury is still based around enrage, you've got rampage, which is guaranteed to put you in enrage. Bloodthirst still gives you enrage on criticals, but it also hits really hard again now.
    I've literally just finished some heroics and world bosses, Fury seems to be up there near the top much more than Arms but it's hard to judge at this moment in time while they're going through the process of number tuning.
    I really dislike Arms in its current state, it feels clunky and I feel like I have nothing to do at points. Almost like it's rage starved from time to time. Fury on the other hand I've found incredibly fun, a whirlwind of death cutting through everything. It feels meaty with the animations and sound effects. I've done a complete 180 as i've always preferred Arms up until now.
    I remember you... In the mountains

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svendd View Post
    1. As they were in WoD, is fury still the single target/burst aoe spec and arms the cleave/execute spec?
    IMO they can both be specced for sustain/burst, but Arms seems to have the better cleave options.

2. What are the most notable changes to fury and arms in terms of their rotations?
    The Fury rotation is significantly better than it was in WoD, it's a great return to form. It's simpler now which fits better with the spec fantasy, a simple case of using the highest damage ability available.

Arms is also much better because Rend is now an optional talent instead of baseline, it's possible to spec for 100% CS uptime (at the cost of reduced CS effect), bladestorm is now baseline. Basically any negative changes to Arms over the past few years have either been reversed or made optional.

2. How does fury/arms damage in the latest beta build compare to other classes?
    Sorry can't help, only played my Warrior on Beta/PTR.

3. Based on your beta experience and in your opinion, do you find the current state of fury/arms to be engaging?
    Yes, very yes, both are much improved over WoD and as good as they have ever been. The only way they could improve on it is to bring ARP gems back haha.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Yes, very yes, both are much improved over WoD and as good as they have ever been. The only way they could improve on it is to bring ARP gems back haha.
    ARP wouldnt do anything to help the rotation though ...

i'd rather they fix some of the cluttering in the rotation of fury and do something about the quite big rng on arms, but in general: yes, both specs play pretty good (better than wod for sure) and are fun as long as you dont try to optimize too much :P

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post
    ARP wouldnt do anything to help the rotation though ...

i'd rather they fix some of the cluttering in the rotation of fury and do something about the quite big rng on arms, but in general: yes, both specs play pretty good (better than wod for sure) and are fun as long as you dont try to optimize too much :P
    What do you find cluttering about fury ATM? I found it about as straightforward/streamlined as it's been in years. You can get rid of the RNG for Arms by taking the Titanic might talent (which just got buffed).

Preach just released a video today previewing the most recent iteration of Arms. New member though so can't link it.

Preach just released a video today previewing the most recent iteration of Arms. New member though so can't link it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqT_7YOh3Mk

Here ya go.

In the future you can just do watch?v=vqT_7YOh3Mk.

Prior to last nights tuning Fury was super strong in most scenarios, a very well rounded spec. Personally I think Fury is really enjoyable and engaging to play, miles better than live. It has it's issues but I think people shouldn't think that means it's bad, I think Fury is probably the best spec on the Legion beta. As for Arms, it's too RNG for me with Colossus Smash resets giving you wildly varying results, and it's also rage starved in the execute phase, with tactition not making much sense in the last 20%. Titanic Might means 100% CS uptime on sustained targets, but it leaves you no better off when target switching to new targets which is where a lot of the frustrations can come from.

Personally I prefer Fury by a mile and that is where my sights are set for Legion, and I've been primarily Arms since Dragon Soul/MOP. No doubt I will end up playing both quite a lot though, it's hard to really see what niche they will fit at the moment when we're in the middle of tuning/testing.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    No one - NO ONE want this to happen again. As fun as it was on my warrior to smash things, It was not fun to be destroyed by a hunter dropping from his flying mount before I could react.