Thread: Dreadstalker AI

Lightbulb Dreadstalker AI

So there are two things I want to address about the dreadstalkers for demonology.

The first is that they are unresponsive to the "command attack" pet function. This may be totally intended or it may not have been considered, but in my opinion being able to redirect your dreadstalkers would add a lot to the fantasy and the overall "feel" of the spec. I've been using the pet attack command a lot in the PTR as I want to have precise control over my demons as a demo lock. I think this is what really differentiates our demons from regular DOTs, at least mechanically. Right now the dreadstalkers just feel like a glorified DOT.

The second thing I want to talk about is how the dreadstalkers look when they're doing damage. Right now they kind of just stand there next to the target, barely moving at all, biting every once and a while. In action they are very boring but I think they have a really cool model and I believe they have the potential to look awesome in combat. If Bliz made them run around the target while doing damage, in a hyena type fashion, I think that would go a long way. Like what I want is for them to sort of emulate what a feral Druid looks like in PvP.

What do you guys think? I know these are really small changes but for me personally they would add a lot to the spec.

Haven't tried warlock on PTR/Beta yet, but i guess the dreadstalkers are guardians, not pets. So they wouldn't listen to your pet commands, but they should change target after a few moments when you directly attack another one, if they do not the possibility to redirect them should be implemented.

Run around the enemy...? Would look nice for the warlock, but would also annoy tanks and melees, heavily

Sad to say, but the AI seems to be working as intended. As guardians all the Demo summons are meant to be glorified DoTs that might switch target if their current one dies.

Although your second idea sounds pretty cool imo, that would actually be a tremendous amount of work, especially when compared to other spells and attacks in-game.

As far as I know Imps and Dreadstalkers will focus the target they're summoned on, unless it dies then they'll assist your current target.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintolak View Post
    The first is that they are unresponsive to the "command attack" pet function. This may be totally intended or it may not have been considered, but in my opinion being able to redirect your dreadstalkers would add a lot to the fantasy and the overall "feel" of the spec. I've been using the pet attack command a lot in the PTR as I want to have precise control over my demons as a demo lock. I think this is what really differentiates our demons from regular DOTs, at least mechanically. Right now the dreadstalkers just feel like a glorified DOT.
    They're guardians, not pets, the inability to control them is intentional. Not to mention it prevents a shit ton of clunkiness, imagine having to dreadstalkers, imps, the beholder and your Felguard/Doomguard with separate binds? No. thank. you. You still have control over your permanent demon, so it's not like you're not interacting with them at all.

Also, there's a thread for Demo discussions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    They're guardians, not pets, the inability to control them is intentional. Not to mention it prevents a shit ton of clunkiness, imagine having to dreadstalkers, imps, the beholder and your Felguard/Doomguard with separate binds? No. thank. you. You still have control over your permanent demon, so it's not like you're not interacting with them at all.

Also, there's a thread for Demo discussions.
    Personally, I don't want individual attack commands/controls for each pet type, but guardians automatically assisting your primary pet would be a very welcome change.

Quote Originally Posted by Smog View Post
    Personally, I don't want individual attack commands/controls for each pet type, but guardians automatically assisting your primary pet would be a very welcome change.
    Right, this is what I meant. I don't want separate buttons. I would just feel a lot more like a master of demons if I could make them all switch targets with one button press.

Quote Originally Posted by Smog View Post
    If the primary pet wasn't a fucking moron, pet AI is broken atm the assist stance for pets means that they will break off combat even with other mobs beating on them when their primary target dies. Put it on defensive and it will never attack, basically you need /petattack macro'd into all your abilities again which something Blizz has stated over and over they don't want people to have to do.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.