Thread: mushrooms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Like I said, wasn't an attack

btw. the shroom I listed above costs around $50.00 a pound.
    And then there's truffle. The emperor of all foods. White European truffle costs nearly $4000.00 a pound.
    Not quite mayo level food lol
    Oh I didn't take as one, I was just agreeing with you. Yeah I heard of the cost of Truffle's, that's crazy, id like to try one but damn that's expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Morels are a favorite of mine. One nice thing about being in China is we get a much wider variety of mushrooms than in the US (at least back when I was there). Oyster mushrooms are quite common in Beijing and I've always been rather fond of them.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Fresh morels are awesome. My family cooks them by soaking in salt water (morels are one of the few you need to as super hard to clean) dip in egg then cracker crumbs and fry. Seen dried ones in a grocery store last year. Dried 1/4 oz package was $22. My family picks them in the woods. Different species of morel grow throughout the US, but there is a false morel that is poisonous despite what some people say so you have to know what you are getting. Plz never use the suggestion in a n earlier post to take a small bite to test. There are mushrooms out there that a small bite is enough to do u in.

Can't figure out how to easily take the photos from this spring off my phone and post on here or I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Gotta wander in the forest if you morels.
    Yay! Another mushoom gatherer! ^_^

Just got into that myself, but haven't found/tried any morels yet - only false ones (found... Obviously not tried! ;P). Phesant Backs though I've gotten plenty, and i like because they grow so large and thus you can harvest a lot,

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Just got into that myself, but haven't found/tried any morels yet - only false ones (found... Obviously not tried! ;P). Phesant Backs though I've gotten plenty, and i like because they grow so large and thus you can harvest a lot,
    how do you know the difference between a morel and a false one? I've never been mushroom hunting.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Just got into that myself, but haven't found/tried any morels yet - only false ones. Phesant Backs though I've gotten plenty, and i like because they grow so large and thus you can harvest a lot,
    Don't eat the false ones. There is a lot of documentation on them out there. Basically the chemical that is dangerous appears in varying amounts so while someone may have been eating them for years with little to no effect, if you get one that has a high concentration then you gonna have a bad time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    how do you know the difference between a morel and a false one? I've never been mushroom hunting.
    There is a couple of ways. First is that the true morels have a hollow stem and the false ones are solid. In my area the false tends to be more red in color while true is from yellow to brown to black depending on species and soil but color should not be used as the sole identifier. Also true morel caps and false morel caps are different. Let me see if I can find a picture online

- - - Updated - - -

well I can't post links yet

- - - Updated - - -

the great morel website and mushroom appreciation website under the false morel will give you info and show plenty of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Chiefly how the cap is connected to the stem. If the base/rim of the cap is grown into the stem, it's a morel. If the rim does not connect to the stem (like a normal mushroom does) then its a false one

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah baug, i re-read whet i wrote and clarified before you responded. Never ate a false morel :P

Something interesting to note that I just saw trying to find links. I have seen on other websites and read that half cap morels (verspa species [has a hollow stem and similar looking cap though the cap isn't connected like with a true morel]) are completely edible but thegreatmorel website has them listed as a false and toxic. Luckily I have personally never seen one. Something to keep in mind with trying to identify mushrooms better to be 100% safe and certain when picking them yourself. There is a lot of bad information that can get you hurt that has been put out by so called experts. Alway err on the side of safety

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn it. I thought it was going to be about the other mushrooms.

Chiefly how the cap is connected to the stem. If the base/rim of the cap is grown into the stem, it's a morel. If the rim does not connect to the stem (like a normal mushroom does) then its a false one

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah baug, i re-read whet i wrote and clarified before you responded. Never ate a false morel :P

All good man. We have a lot of people in my state that swear their safe, family have been eating them for years, etc but to me it's like playing Russian roulette. Had a guy on Facebook say that his family had been doing it for years went to NC and picked and ate one spent a day in the woods extremely sick with no one around to get him to the er and it was the same species that we have here