Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    I just realized, I need to get a network card, right?

Are there any other potential things I might be forgetting? Quick recap: I don't need monitors, a HDD, mouse, keyboard, or a CD ROM.
    Motherboards shouldn't need a network card, unless you want to use wifi. On the windows key I can't really comment. I think a windows 10 pro key from Kinguin is more expensive to save some money you can get a windows 7 pro key and upgrade it for free. Apparently the deadline for the free upgrade is the 29th of July.

Deleted
    @Kilz
    A few options for fans I could get at the same time as the rest of the parts:
    1) ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 - 150 Watt Multicompatible Low Noise CPU Cooler for AMD and Intel Sockets
    2) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

I could link more if needed. I wonder if either of these two would be good, though.

I just realized, I need to get a network card, right?
    The arctic freezer i am not sure its even compatible with 1151 socket but even if it is its...pretty much rubbish barely better than a stock cooler. The CM evo is okish but nothing really good either, used to be the go to cheap cooler a few years back. Both nothing remotely close to a be quiet!dark rock 3, Cryorig (even the h5) or the noctua i linked.

You don't need any network card, mobo's have really good lan chips nowdays, especially on Z boards.

I've decided to go with Newegg for the heatsink. At least there I can get a proper expedited shipment. I'll be paying a little bit more, but if the fan is as good as Kilz says, I think it's worth it. I'm saddened that I couldn't find anything on Amazon that's apparently worth getting and can get here on time. If I do 2-business day shipping, it should be here by Monday or Tuesday, right? I'm going to go with the H7 just to make sure the bulkiness of the H5 isn't an issue.

Really appreciate all the help guys. I plan to make the actual purchases later today. I'm just waiting in case anyone has anything vital to add that could affect my decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll probably do the thumb drive install that Kilz suggested. Would be nice to save $50+ on the OS considering I'm already getting really close to my budget cap.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Dendrek:
    Seems like you were assisted in the time I was out today so that's good.

My recommendation in any case is as thus based upon your comments about how and what:
    Drop the mobo to an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming board.
    Drop the amount of RAM to 16GB but increase speed to 3.200MHz
    You've already bought the Cryorig H7 so that's good.
    Drop the CPU to an Intel Core i5-6600K.
    Grab the Corsair Carbide 200R and don't forget an extra fan.
    Grab the Windows 7 Pro key from HERE! (CLICK ME DAMN YOU!)
    Grab yourself a GigaByte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming edition graphics card.

After that: Build and murder whatever comes across your path.

Awesome advice. Thank you @Evildeffy.

I have the 16GB 3200 RAM, the Intel I5-6600k, the Corsair Carbide 200R (with extra fans -- which I may ask for advice on how to place them once they come in).
    Thank you for the link for the Pro 7 key!

MOBO: For the mobo, I have ASUS ATX Z170-E, and you're saying to go with ASUS Z170 Pro. The Pro is $50 more. Is it worth it?
    GPU: I currently have an MSI GTX 1070 in my cart (chosen because it's Prime-compatible). I've read reviews and MSI seems to be a good one to get. Would you agree?
    FAN: I haven't placed the order yet, but I do have it in the cart. I'm being told by a friend to get a Corsair Liquid cooler. I'm slightly nervous about having liquid in my system. Would you agree with that advice or should I stick with the Cryorig H7?

- - - Updated - - -

About the liquid cooler: I live in California. It can get pretty hot where I live. I don't want something that will generate a lot of heat (I assume a liquid cooler is more likely to do that than fans). It also seems, from what I've read, a liquid cooler will be slightly louder than fans.

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome advice. Thank you @Evildeffy.

I have the 16GB 3200 RAM, the Intel I5-6600k, the Corsair Carbide 200R (with extra fans -- which I may ask for advice on how to place them once they come in).
    Thank you for the link for the Pro 7 key!

MOBO: For the mobo, I have ASUS ATX Z170-E, and you're saying to go with ASUS Z170 Pro. The Pro is $50 more. Is it worth it?
    GPU: I currently have an MSI GTX 1070 in my cart (chosen because it's Prime-compatible). I've read reviews and MSI seems to be a good one to get. Would you agree?
    FAN: I haven't placed the order yet, but I do have it in the cart. I'm being told by a friend to get a Corsair Liquid cooler. I'm slightly nervous about having liquid in my system. Would you agree with that advice or should I stick with the Cryorig H7?

- - - Updated - - -

About the liquid cooler: I live in California. It can get pretty hot where I live. I don't want something that will generate a lot of heat (I assume a liquid cooler is more likely to do that than fans). It also seems, from what I've read, a liquid cooler will be slightly louder than fans.
    Mobo:
    I prefer the Z170 Pro Gaming not because of the name but because it's a no non-sense board with good hardware meant to take overclocks but nothing extreme.
    So yes I would recommend it over the one you selected.
    GPU: If it's the MSI Gaming X variant... cool stuff, no complaints there.
    Fan: What fan have you selected so I can either laugh at you or commend you for picking a proper fan or a delta fan that's basically a vacuum cleaner.

As far as cooling goes... it depends on how far you want to push things with overclocking etc.
    If you don't really care or only want a mild one the H7 will do fine.
    Also California is not that hot, I've done less cooling in Greece where it's 45°C and with overclocking that works fine.

And if you need help on fan placement ... just ask.

@Evildeffy I'm actually slightly worried about the GPU fitting in the case now. My first time building a PC, I got a smaller case and a monster GPU. It only just barely fit and blocked a ton of airflow (and made cable management a nightmare). Any suggestion on where I might look to see if the MSI gtx 1070 will fit those cases you suggested?
    Get the Fractal Define S. I have one myself, and it has a ridiculous amount of room for everything. Cable management is a thing of beauty, and tons of air flow.

Newegg is out of the question it seems. They are doing inventory count for the next few days, and their "2-day" delivery is promised to be here by next Thursday. Screw that.

I was going to use Newegg for the processor, motherboard and fan. I need to find a different retailer for those now.

- - - Updated - - -

What is "Founder's Edition" (for the GPU)? And should I avoid it?

- - - Updated - - -

Founder's just looks to be more expensive. It should be as functional as a normal edition, right? I don't want to spend extra, but I also don't want to wait a month for this computer. I have succeeded in going over my budget, unfortunately, but there wasn't much I could do about that considering I'm getting a really good PC for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't touch a Founder's Edition at all.

Like all reference designs in general it's a pile of crap.
    It's slower, warmer and louder that in any normal tower is worse than almost any custom design.

Don't worry ... you will have access to the proper 1070s very soon, unlike the 1080s they seem to actually have those on stock in shops.
    Unless you are going for a very tight spaced ITX build with VERY little airflow you're far better off with the MSI one.

As I said ... you'll get it just be patient

Well, shit. I already placed the order... Also, like I said, I'm limited to a laptop right now. I can cancel the order, but I really do not want to wait several weeks to get this computer built.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm canceling it. >.> The first computer I built had a graphics card that ran really hot. It caused serious issues for my system. I don't want to deal with that again. I guess I have no choice but to wait for a better version to become available.

That's a fair point. I've been treating the graphics card as an essential purchase right now but gaming is not my immediate concern with this computer: getting off my laptop is :P I did cancel the founder's edition. I'm glad Evil spoke up before the card arrived. I could have still returned it, but it would have been a pain in the ass.

I know there's a thread already open on this subject, but I haven't seen a particularly good answer given yet:

Which versions of GTX 1070 are better? I'm specifically interested in ones that run cooler and more silently. Don't care as much about cost. And I'm not going to nitpick over slight differences in performance.

- - - Updated - - -

I know from MSI, Gaming X is definitely the best it has to offer. And from GigaByte, Gaming is its best version. (Not sure about the other providers.) Between them, is there much of a difference in how silent and cool they run?

Is ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Edition 8GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/3DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card a good version of the card? It's the only version I could find that's less than $500 (and in stock).

I have a GTX 560 TI in my old computer that should still work (I'm not able to test it yet, but I get all the parts for my new computer in tomorrow). Since I'm still waiting to buy a GTX 1070, I will need a graphics card until that becomes available.

Can anyone tell me if the GTX 560 TI is compatible with the motherboard (ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA1151) and CPU (Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake Core 3.5GHz LGA1151)?

That old graphics card should work ok for a while, those things are back- and forward compatible.

Computer is built. (Still missing the main graphics card -- I'm using my old computer's card for now, a 560 TI -- but other than that, everything else is there.) The computer has failed to send a signal to three separate monitors using three different types of cables. (I tried plugging my two old monitors in to my old computer's graphics card, which is in this new computer for now, and also plugging a new monitor directly into the motherboard -- none of these three worked.)

I don't have any idea how to trouble shoot this issue. I'm nervous I did something wrong (I almost certainly did), I just really really hope I didn't do something catastrophic.

The computer is turning on. The power light is on, and some internal LEDs are on as well. The CD Rom opens and closes. I was also able to charge my phone using a USB cable connected to the computer. And the two added fans (both intake, placed on the top) are running. Not sure if everything else internally is working, though.

All of the major parts are connected to the PSU and to the motherboard, unless I'm mistaken or plugged something in wrong.

Quick checklist of what I have and have done when putting it together:
    Spoiler: 
    I have 2 HDDs (1TB and 500GB), 1 SSD (256GB), 1 CDROM, 1 Graphics card (I'm not certain I plugged the power in to that correctly, I'll explain below), 2 sticks of 8 GB ram, the CPU and fan, and 2 added intake fans (in addition to the 1 intake and 1 exhaust that came with the case). I plugged a power cord and SATA into each of the HDDs/SSD/CD. I plugged a power cord into the motherboard and the GPU. The heatsink is plugged into the motherboard (hopefully correctly), as well as the two extra fans (both are working -- which also confirms the motherboard is correctly receiving power).

Regarding the GPU power maybe not being plugged in correctly: I ran 1 VGA power cable to it, which had 2x 6+2 ends on it. The card has 2x 6 plugs, so I plugged the single VGA cord into both (I hope I'm saying this all correctly). I wasn't sure if I should be running 2 VGA cables, one for each plug, or if a single cable was fine.

Is it possible I forgot to plug something in to the motherboard (there are a lot of extra areas where cables can be plugged in to it, and I don't have a clue what goes into any of those)? Could it be a CPU issue (please god, don't be)? A BIOS issue? Something else entirely?

- - - Updated - - -

Heatsink is working as well.

I removed the old graphics card. I also plugged in a monitor that I know works on another computer, and it's not getting a signal either.

Deleted
    When you press the power button after it beeps once like it should does it keep beeping? If it does what kind of beep is it, twice then stops then again, 3, 1? Assuming you got a mobo speak connected to actually hear it doing it. With the gpu removed you still don't get any signal? IF that shutdown pc, remove battery for 10min, put it back on and retry. Keep your old gpu away. Also double check all mobo standoffs are placed correctly.

Scratch that. Turns out I forgot to plug the power supply into the CPU. I honestly don't remember doing that for my previous builds.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the quick reply, Kostattoo. I was really freaking out about this. I don't think I'd have been able to sleep tonight at all if I didn't figure it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would buy a gtx 1070 or if you got the budget a 1080. They are so freakin good and will last for years to come.
    Also a 1TB HDD just for storage and all that. They are very cheap now days.

I plan to buy a 1070 as soon as one becomes available. They're out of stock on every site I've checked.

I currently have a 1TB drive and a 500GB drive (both from old computers) as well as a 256GB SSD.