Thunderstorm in Legion - is it better?

So, I've been kicking around all the characters I'm somewhat interested in working on in Legion by gearing them up on honor week. My shaman used to be my main, but when they took away moving lightning bolt I kinda lost all interest in it. It was just a bad version of other casters, for PVP..and it kinda became a running joke in arena in general, with a massive *one* ele shammy managing to make it work, Etup, by basically playing a 2-healer comp with random ele burst.

That being said, I always enjoyed the super bursty classes and Ele shammy certainly fits that on live. However...Thunderstorm has to be the most infuriating spell in the game. I don't even think classic blink was *THIS* bad. I've tried it dozens of times in duels, bgs, testing with friends, etc...this spell just seems completely unreliable. ~40-70% of the times used in duels/bgs, I found this spell just does absolutely nothing if used when stunned. No knock back, no damage, pretty effects though. In testing with a friend, I couldn't even figure out why this happens. I can't find any consistency in it. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't... Over 10 thunderstorms, my moving friend got knocked back 5 times on a flat surface outside of Orgrimmar. It just seems to work whenever it feels like it.

Well, that's a rant. Anyways: Is it any better in legion?

Only thing I've noticed different is the distance enemies are knocked back. It appears to be a lot larger. Though I've never had an issue using it on my shaman. unless the enemies are near a little bump on the ground geometry, it always knocks back.

I've been doing a lot of duels on PTR. Thunderstorm seem to be as unreliable as ever.

Agreed, did some BGs on the PvP server this past weekend and it feels like it does on live for sure.

Though if your concern is also just being trained by melee I found that in any 1v1 situation starting off with frost shock before flame shock and damage rotation helps a lot since the end result of any duel is who has more gap closers vrs gap makers. It helps to have the constant snare on them is what I'm getting at.

Did they nerf it from Wotlk? I remember it use to absolutely punt people away and now it feels like it hardly moves them. If our defensive cooldown is going to be a fucking knock back at least make it move them.
    Hi Sephurik

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Did they nerf it from Wotlk? I remember it use to absolutely punt people away and now it feels like it hardly moves them. If our defensive cooldown is going to be a fucking knock back at least make it move them.
    Yea pretty much this. Doesn't do shit to people anymore...that's what it feels like. And everyone else has a knockback as well. When this was released back then it was pretty much unique to ele shamans. Just wish they could change this, so let's say whenever you used thunderstorm, it would supercharge all your lightning shield stacks up to 20 stacks or maelstrom to 100. Or it would do a shitton of dmg, like really hurt people/mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Did they nerf it from Wotlk?
    Yes. I rembember people bitching and crying over how a single ele shaman could hold the centre of EoS, knocking people down the rampart and getting essentially free kills.