Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Over the years, I've heard quite a few people use their age as an argument in support of their claims. "I am twice as old as you, I know better!", "You have very little experience; live 20 years more, and then you will get it", etc. I've never seen it as a valid reasoning. Here is my theory on how people's minds develop as they age.

During childhood/teens people form their vision on how the world around them works. That vision naturally comes with strong confirmation biases. As people live more and more, those confirmation biases convince them in that their vision of the world is right. As such, they do not really get smarter or more knowledgeable; they, instead, become less open-minded to the points of view that disagree with theirs, less objective, less fair. Sure, they might become more skilled in their profession or certain life areas - but overall they do not become smarter. As such, their opinion isn't any better than an opinion of a young person.

Do you agree with it? Do you think the young should always listen to the old due to the experience and knowledge of the latter, or that they should give the priority of their own ideas, even if they are not backed by years of experience and observation?
    After 25 it's just downhill. Smooth blissful downhill ^^ You might be more experienced but that's it. I am already "stupid" when it comes to "being bookwise" but I got quite unique life experiences that have shaped how I am now. What I mean young ones should respect older people experiences but sametime think about it with their own brains and make a compromise.

Good example my younger brother is like god among men when it comes to being "booksmart" and overall smart in pretty much every aspect he is like candidate for world president if there would be one. Yet he thanks me for helping him tru the life and teaching him about things he would have thought differently and probably would have failed in many things if I would not been there telling him about my life experiences.
    I am just humble educated blacksmith who pretty much have no real job. I have tried suicide twice in my life because of my body being male and now I am going tru the transition from male to female. I've gone tru long relationship that ended up to the phone message "I am leaving you" and suffered the pain it caused.
    I've told about all those experiences to my lil bro and how small things may change life so much. He thanked me and said that he would not be who he is, not even near, if I was not there scolding him and telling about my life and helping him when he was having bad time.

What I mean is that younger people should listen older ones and learn from it but still think with their own brains and just add from others experiences to own way of thinking.

I really wanna give a hug for my lil brother now! T-T
    Last edited by Ihazpaws; 2016-08-27 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the person.

At 18 you know everything. At 80 you don't know anything. This is proof that you get stupider as you grow older.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland