Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Megathread] Friday the 13th Video Game (2016)

60fps better video

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/29/120...source=twitter
    Gun Media's new video game adaptation of Friday the 13th blazed through Kickstarter last year, pulling in an impressive $823,704 in funding. While that's a lot of money, it's almost $1 million short of the $1,625,000 stretch goal that would have seen a "single player survival challenge mode" added to the game.

However, according to Gun Media founder and Friday the 13th: The Game co-creator Wes Keltner, there may still be hope for said single-player mode.

"No questions whatsoever that we want to revisit single-player if the game does well," Keltner told Polygon. "We're taking pre-orders right now. Every single dime we get is going right back into the game to put that kind of stuff in there."

In the initial Kickstarter pitch, Gun Media described Friday the 13th's possible single-player mode as "bring[ing] Jason to life in ways that everyone has wanted to experience (but no one has been able to create to date)." As in the game's multiplayer modes, the single-player would allow players to step into the role of either the murderous Jason Voorhees on a killing spree, or as a counselor on the run.

Speaking to us, Keltner described his vision for this single-player mode in more detail.

"It's the whole background of Hitman," he said, referring to Square Enix's popular stealth series. "You sit there long enough, and you can figure out where everyone's going and what to do. That's still fun. No question, it's still fun. That's where we want to go with single-player in our game."

Speaking to why the company decided to focus on multiplayer first and foremost, Keltner admitted that it simply cost less. However, he said there were other design reasons to make multiplayer the central offering for Friday the 13th: The Game.

"It's a love letter to Friday the 13th and to slasher movies as a whole," Keltner said. "We didn't want a linear experience. I didn't want to make it so you're just a counselor trying to live or just the killer. To me, it's more interesting to think about the human element. You can't predict how a real person is going to act."

Friday the 13th: The Game is on track for release later this year. Whether or not a single-player mode happens will depend on the success of the game, though Gun Media has aggressive plans for a continuous stream of new content after release.
    The game is support to be out at the end of the year I do believe and if it reach's its goal it will have single player. I really hope this turns out well and it looks to be fun IMO.

I figured I would make a thread on it incase anyone was interested.

Also polygon was wrong they are not 1mil away they are 500k away from there goal.

Release Date Trailer
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-04-22 at 04:02 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Watched top video for titties. Did not see titties. Was disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Watched top video for titties. Did not see titties. Was disappoint.
    If there is one thing Friday the 13th was known for, it was for premarital sex. I, too, was disappoint.

On a more serious note; I am not sure what to make of the gameplay as of this moment.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For once I think a game with gratuitous murder will do *something* to distinguish itself as worth of a game, unlike that last game that tried to be exploitation without merit. I'm a little concerned for how it's going to be received since in the initial game presentation shows him repeatedly brutalizing a black woman by smashing her face into rocks over and over.

So I don't really know what to feel about this. I don't know if this game will succeed in this era of social justice, but I will say they seem to have their 'hearts' in the right place by providing an interesting system as Jason so you can really become that character. Thinking of it like Hitman, but in a Horror genre seems to be the way to make it successful from a gameplay aspect.

Multiplayer could also be fun, but I need to see more mechanics. Right now this game could be the worst thing ever or the most innovative horror game we've had in a while. We'll just have to see.
    BAD WOLF

Its hard to get excited for this after a kickstarter for a very similar idea got C&D'ed by the owners of the Ft13th IP and right after they announced this. I like me some 80's slasher schlok but it seems like a greasy rushed out cash in after some other people did the ground work to show an audience was there.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its hard to get excited for this after a kickstarter for a very similar idea got C&D'ed by the owners of the Ft13th IP and right after they announced this. I like me some 80's slasher schlok but it seems like a greasy rushed out cash in after some other people did the ground work to show an audience was there.
    This one was gifted the rights to the IP by the IP holder who saw the demo for their game 'Summer Camp' (which has since evolved into F13). At least that's what I recall from the KS campaign.

Deleted
    I remember there being plans for a similar game, but the stereotypical victims had abilities too. The jock was a tank-like character and the nerd was a medic I think. Something along those lines at least.

Is that still in development?

- - - Updated - - -

I think i'd be more interested in this game if it wasn't so heavily centered around one specific title. It doesn't really allow for a lot of creativity. What I get from the gameplay is that you are either jason or some random teen. Not sure if that'll change so please correct me if that's the case.

If it was a standalone title they could add more monsters to the game that might represent cliché horror monsters, all with their own unique abilities. You'd have the stereotypical asian long black haired spirit that can teleport through walls and ceilings and have an ability that paralyzes the victim for a short while if they're directly looking at her or the more american themed serial killer with a chainsaw etc.

and likewise on the 'mortal' party you'd have exorcists that could temporarily disable the mosters, ghost hunters that can locate where they are etc.

You could have different game modes where in one it's simply one party versus the other, or one where the mortals have to find a way to survive (either by finding some special hidden artifact or by surviving through a timer). In one mode the mortal party can only communicate through in-game voice chat but it would be based on proximity. So people would only hear you if you're near them, but this also means that the monsters can hear you as well.

I guess I'll wait until something like that is announced, it seems like a lot of fun to me personally. I really like the idea behind Friday the 13th but it seems a bit too restricted in what it can be.

Are they taking an idea from Yahtzee?

10+ Year Old Account
    This game is awesome and a must for any 80s horror fan.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    I think i'd be more interested in this game if it wasn't so heavily centered around one specific title. It doesn't really allow for a lot of creativity. What I get from the gameplay is that you are either jason or some random teen. Not sure if that'll change so please correct me if that's the case.
    Each teen has their own perks you get from leveling and there is six or seven different Jasons that are based on the movies, each having different perks. So there is some variance in gameplay except for the fact that some characters seems to have better or worse perks currently and some Jasons are much stronger than others. So there is a "best" character in each category.

Game still needs a lot of work, it's pretty hollow atm but with more polish I think it can be one of the top games in the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Each teen has their own perks you get from leveling and there is six or seven different Jasons that are based on the movies, each having different perks. So there is some variance in gameplay except for the fact that some characters seems to have better or worse perks currently and some Jasons are much stronger than others. So there is a "best" character in each category.

Game still needs a lot of work, it's pretty hollow atm but with more polish I think it can be one of the top games in the genre.
    The beta is certainly limited, I don't know how much more the main game will offer, tbh I don't expect a lot.

But from a Friday the 13th fan view, it's a must own. Game is incredibly optimised, nice player models and movement. But the game will be very limited in what you can actually do.

It's a small studio, so credit is deserved.

For me, it catches the theme great, I am biased as this is my favourite horror move franchise.

so its basically dead by daylight but with jason?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so its basically dead by daylight but with jason?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/
    Eh not really.
    Same concept of 1 Evil vs survivors. But it plays different.
    7 survivors vs evil. Evil can just kill them outright instead of at an alter. And they don't need to get generators, they either start a call and wait 5 mins, or find items around the area and repair a car and drive out, or kill him (although people haven't worked out how to kill him yet, and it won't be easy). Not to mention you can fight back with weapons or guns to temporarily stun him.
    But Jason is really OP atm, a good killer will dominate most of the players, the skills together just wreck survivors.

It seems fun, I'm not sure what it's longevity will be though, and I sure as heck won't be buying it for a while if it's staying at $60 price. Atleast Dbd is cheap.

I'd check out Youtube or Twitch for videos of people playing to see how it plays, and how it's different to Dbd in real players hands.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    It seems fun, I'm not sure what it's longevity will be though, and I sure as heck won't be buying it for a while if it's staying at $60 price. Atleast Dbd is cheap.

I'd check out Youtube or Twitch for videos of people playing to see how it plays, and how it's different to Dbd in real players hands.
    I agree with this.

Only buy it if you are a fan of Jason and Friday the 13th.

If you aren't, you will feel it is a waste of money.

To me it looks fun as hell.

To those saying is it the same or its the same as DBD no it isn't. In concept its similar but in gameplay its 200% different.

Jason can outright kill you and there is many ways to live and fight back.

Personally I'm looking forward to it and just hope they tweak a few things. The biggest thing about this I like is you can ether work as a team and live or outright screw someone over to live. Also its random who gets to play Jason, So because of that que times won't be a issue.

Big Jason fan so I'm looking forward to this Been watching gameplay all week.

Also to add DBD and Friday 13th run on the same game engine and look at the massive graphic difference. I enjoy DBD but the devs really need to competition, So they finally get there head out of there ass.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Big Jason fan so I'm looking forward to this Been watching gameplay all week.
    A true Jason fan would have bought it already to support them!

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I just hope this damn thing is better than Dead By Daylight >.<
    It already runs better even with the beta issues it has. I got to give props to the team because it seems like they really care about the game and the IP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    A true Jason fan would have bought it already to support them!
    I disagree a bit just because I am not a big fan of pre-ordering or kickstarting. After this beta I have highly considered dropping the money down on it.

Its good they are adding a SP mode I just hope it has offline play on console.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I disagree a bit just because I am not a big fan of pre-ordering or kickstarting. After this beta I have highly considered dropping the money down on it.

Its good they are adding a SP mode I just hope it has offline play on console.
    Agree with you on pre ordering crap, especially kick start.

I have faith in these guys as they come across as fans like me.

I can tell from the beta how much work they have put into it with the limited budget they have.

I don't mind wasting money on a game I have wanted for a long time, I love Friday the 13th!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Agree with you on pre ordering crap, especially kick start.

I have faith in these guys as they come across as fans like me.

I can tell from the beta how much work they have put into it with the limited budget they have.

I don't mind wasting money on a game I have wanted for a long time, I love Friday the 13th!
    I feel the same way, after the first of the year ill be pre-ordering. Got bills to deal with first and a few titles next month to grab. So F13 will have to wait until after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    There probably isn't long left, but I have 2 keys spare.

It's a quick download.