Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No dude, material benefit in return for preferential treatment totally ISN'T the definition of gratuity.
    There is no preferential treatment. Cops need to get gas, they are going to stop to get gas anyways. They are not being given a discount for hanging out in gas station. This won't even really affect cops whom are on duty. On duty cops don't pay for the gas in their cruiser so they won't care about the discount. Cops heading to or from work will be more likely to stop there. There is no getting a "tip" for doing their job, it is getting a discount somewhere in their off time.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    lol, I really don't care what you think of the reason. It's been a law in numerous states for longer than you've been alive, so frankly I'll go with what works for the reasons they gave over whatever the hell you think.
    There are plenty of laws that have existed since before any of us were alive. Most of which are held as unenforceable, if not completely unconstitutional.

I'll go with "what's legal right now", thanks.

I am curious to see how well it works.

And those arguing against a store owner offering discounts... My god man. Remind me to give discounts to everyone with green eyes just to piss you the fuck off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes a thread about guns

If you disagree with this thread, go to another thread

much want of discussion. wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    It's not that silly considering people have been shot under similar circumstances.
    Show me something other than anecdotal evidence this is even close to a real thing.

You probably stand a better chance of being in a car accident, twice, on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Makes a thread about guns

If you disagree with this thread, go to another thread

much want of discussion. wow.
    He never said that. The thread is about one specific aspect of something, giving a discount by encouraging those with guns, including police, to come to his store. Go to the other thread if you have an issue with guns in general. If you can't understand the difference between the two, then just don't post here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    He never said that. The thread is about one specific aspect of something, giving a discount by encouraging those with guns, including police, to come to his store. Go to the other thread if you have an issue with guns in general. If you can't understand the difference between the two, then just don't post here.
    Well the main arguments against or in disagreement would have to involve gun control. Thus no real discussion is invited by OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    There are plenty of laws that have existed since before any of us were alive. Most of which are held as unenforceable, if not completely unconstitutional.

I'll go with "what's legal right now", thanks.
    Amazingly, this is illegal in some states. Gosh golly willkers it's like I already said that several times, thanks.

It's almost like there are these things called "laws" that govern how people and society function, what individuals, businesses and government agents are allowed to do, not allowed to do, and otherwise not mentioned.

There are laws against uniformed government agents accepting "donations" and "discounts" for a reason. There are laws against individuals and businesses offering discounts and donations for the very reason that said government agents are already being paid to do their jobs. Giving them special treatment in establishments is prohibited because first and foremost, it is a way many groups have leveraged their money in order to get the government to do them special favors. Secondly, government agents start to think that this special treatment is mandatory and provide lesser services to people who do not provide them.

You want to pay private citizens to protect your establishment? Go right ahead. It's called SECURITY, you can even have them armed and they get superior rights when it comes to protecting your property than some yokel in the bar with a gun because it is their JOB to protect your property. Giving people "discounts" to solicit your venue more often is just a cheap-ass way to get free protection. Worse, it has a detrimental effect on the performance of government officials who are not supposed to be making decisions based on which store paid them more or gave them more special perks.

If you can't understand how this sort of thing can lead to problems, then quite frankly I don't give a flying fuck because you're too dense to be educated on it. It's in the fucking history books that when people did this sort of thing, what I wrote is exactly what happened, that's why it's illegal now in many states. Federal authorities (this includes all branches of the military) are prohibited from accepting discounts or solicitations that would not readily be available to any other patron of an establishment, so even if the store isn't violating a law by offering discounts, in the case of federal employees, they would be. Many states have the exact same law on state levels. No, I'm not going to dredge up 50 state laws on donations. I'm not your teacher, I'm not getting paid to educate you, I already paid someone else thousands of dollars to educate me on laws, history and politics and to be absolutely frank: I really don't give two shits what someone, anyone uneducated on the subject thinks about it.

So go get yourself an education on the matter and get back me. Until then, I won't be waiting.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Show me something other than anecdotal evidence this is even close to a real thing.

You probably stand a better chance of being in a car accident, twice, on the same day.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ice-tamir-rice
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justic...oper-shooting/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8Ie2C9Uaw
    http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtrib...aled-carriers/
    http://www.guns.com/2013/11/11/cops-...rying-shotgun/
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011...-traffic-stop/

Notice that I never claimed that it was an everyday occurrence....just that similar things have happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I find this hilarious, it will be interesting how it plays out.

Keep it on topic, if you don't like guns you can complain about it here - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Control-Thread
    This is normal in Australia. Also as a Train security guard 15 years ago, staff at the local servo next to our end destination station (Ferny Grove) used to give us free coffee and free pies to encourage us to hang around the servo while waiting for the next train.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.