Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

What kind of gaming chair do you use?

While this isn't exactly a direct discussion about a specific videogame, I'm curious to know what everyone uses.

I've personally always used office chairs that are nominally designed for people who will spend several hours at a time sitting. They're not full ergonomic crazy time chairs for maximum posture, nor are they fully dedicated "gaming" chairs.

Ive never had any issues before, but lately I've actually been having mild joint pain in my shoulders. I think from the new chair's armrests not being in the right position relative to the desk and keyboard. I'm wondering if it might be worth the money to invest in a dull on "Gaming" chair or not. And if so, what some people's experiences with them(good or bad) have been.

Just an office chair, gaming chairs while they look fancy for streaming jobs, looks mad uncomfortable.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    dxracer

And its super comfortable. I had trouble with older shitty chairs but this fits me perfectly.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming chairs are a gimmick and are tailored/marketed towards kids and gullible man-children. There's no such thing as a "gaming" chair. Don't believe the hype because DXracers and similar types are overrated garbage.

That said. I use a Herman Miller Aeron (fully loaded 2016 version).

And, OP - I think you should check out this thread: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...or-long-usage)

There's a lot of valuable advise in there.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-09 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    Gaming chairs are a gimmick and are tailored/marketed towards kids and gullible man-children. There's no such thing as a "gaming" chair. Don't believe the hype because DXracers and similar types are overrated garbage.

And, OP - I think you should check out this thread: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...or-long-usage)

There's a lot of valuable advise in there.
    Perfect! I thought there must have been a thread about gaming chairs already, but somehow missed it. Thanks for the heads up!

I bought a steelcase leap a few weeks ago. So far I really like it.

The cheaper office chair option. Stay away from pleather, they are nice until it starts cracking, you will end up throwing away a good chair just because it is messy in the end.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I think the sort of person to spend that much money on a fucking chair loses all credence to make fun of people who buy chairs aimed at gamers. So there's that.

I have some sort of DXRacer style chair, It's blue and black, has AK in the back of it, rollerblade style wheels, no extra cushions or anything. I picked it up from Goodwill several years ago for $25. It has white paint hand prints on the back side of it, and one of the arm rests is getting torn to shreds now, but it's a pretty good chair. Since I'm a big guy, I need something with a metal frame supporting the back...I've tried those every-day leather office chairs, but most of them are connected via the arm rests, which are plastic. I end up breaking those within months. This chair's core frame is all metal, really sturdy.

I definitely would never spend the money that DXRacers are going for on a chair, I'm glad I found the one I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    And I think the sort of person to spend that much money on a fucking chair loses all credence to make fun of people who buy chairs aimed at gamers. So there's that.

I have some sort of DXRacer style chair, It's blue and black, has AK in the back of it, rollerblade style wheels, no extra cushions or anything. I picked it up from Goodwill several years ago for $25. It has white paint hand prints on the back side of it, and one of the arm rests is getting torn to shreds now, but it's a pretty good chair. Since I'm a big guy, I need something with a metal frame supporting the back...I've tried those every-day leather office chairs, but most of them are connected via the arm rests, which are plastic. I end up breaking those within months. This chair's core frame is all metal, really sturdy.

I definitely would never spend the money that DXRacers are going for on a chair, I'm glad I found the one I have.

What might be a lot of money to some, isn't a lot for others. Funny how most people are completely fine with spending $700-900 on GPU, but will instantly judge anybody who spends that amount on a chair. I'm sorry but it's beyond ridiculous. Neglecting your back health at the expense of saving a few hundred dollars is a hefty price to pay. Judging others who value ergonomics and quality of life is an exercise in arrogance and ignorance.

What might be a lot of money to some, isn't a lot for others. Funny how most people are completely fine with spending $700-900 on GPU, but will instantly judge anybody who spends that amount on a chair. I'm sorry but it's beyond ridiculous. Neglecting your back health at the expense of saving a few hundred dollars is a hefty price to pay. Judging others who value ergonomics and quality of life is an exercise in arrogance and ignorance.
    Yes but you left out the fact that you don't need to spend that much on a chair to get a chair that will be healthy for your back. It's not like a 900$ chair is so much more healthy for your posture then a 700$. Those high expensive chairs are not built for what's best for your body, it's designed for comfortness(type of cusion used where at as well) and what it's made out of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scornedfury View Post
    Yes but you left out the fact that you don't need to spend that much on a chair to get a chair that will be healthy for your back. It's not like a 900$ chair is so much more healthy for your posture then a 700$. Those high expensive chairs are not built for what's best for your body, it's designed for comfortness(type of cusion used where at as well) and what it's made out of.
    Never said otherwise.

Those expensive chairs are built for longevity. That equates to saving money in the long run.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2018-02-09 at 08:31 AM.

I have an office chair from amazon and it's more than fine. Gaming chairs are a scam and priced high as hell for no reason - maybe they're comfortable, but they're actually too comfortable, meaning you won't move much during your playsessions. Changing position often or every once in a while is recommended for your back health and posture.

I'm pondering about actually changing my chair with a swedish seat (the ones without the back where your weight insists on your thighs) which should even be better.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a chair at all; I use a big gym/exercise ball.

+ It's fun and versatile, the constant need to balance your upper body strengthens the lower back and pelvis muscles.
    + You are most likely always moving a little bit, so you never sit completely still for hours. Once you get used to it you won't even notice how you are constantly moving or balancing, it becomes second nature.
    + To keep a proper center of gravity on the ball, you always sit quite upright, slouching is possible, but not for long.
    + You can push the ball entirely under the desk to make space (least I can, depends on the desk I guess).
    + It also lowers the chance to fall asleep in wonky positions to almost zero.

- Can't sit without pants, it gets icky, especially in the summer.
    - Needs to be pumped up slightly every 3-4 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074K19L1K/

cost me $140 and I love it to pieces. i have used cheap office chairs before and my back was killing me. main thing I was looking for was lumbar support and high enough back to almost resemble a car sit - with neck support. I did look at office chairs first when shopping, but comparable chairs actualy cost at least a 100+ more as far as I could see, so /shrug. edited, funny, now description says office chair as well as gaming chair :P back when I bought it - it was listed primarily with gaming chairs. oh well, in the end its the result that matters.

P.S. I know that in theory mesh is supposed to be better, breathable, etc, but one of the chairs I had before was mesh and omg, never again. I like that the chair I got is stiff enough to be supportive, but still has enough give to be comfortable to sit in.

Does anyone have any experience with super-ergonomic chairs that are supposed to give more support for the back and overall posture? I'm not really down for the giant workout ball or the swedish seat like Coldkill was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074K19L1K/

cost me $140 and I love it to pieces. i have used cheap office chairs before and my back was killing me. main thing I was looking for was lumbar support and high enough back to almost resemble a car sit - with neck support. I did look at office chairs first when shopping, but comparable chairs actualy cost at least a 100+ more as far as I could see, so /shrug. edited, funny, now description says office chair as well as gaming chair :P back when I bought it - it was listed primarily with gaming chairs. oh well, in the end its the result that matters.

P.S. I know that in theory mesh is supposed to be better, breathable, etc, but one of the chairs I had before was mesh and omg, never again. I like that the chair I got is stiff enough to be supportive, but still has enough give to be comfortable to sit in.
    From that picture in the link, it looks like you can adjust the armrests and back? You said it resembles a car seat. Does it have the forward and back movement for the back of the chair?

EDIT: I also can't stand the armrests not going back far enough. The style you linked has the rests kind of floating out on their own(if that makes sense?). I feel like they should extend back all the way to the back support. Pet peeve I guess.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-02-09 at 02:27 PM.

I use a vintage Steelcase that is older than I am,it's actually really comfortable.

If there is a better chair, I have not seen it. I just recently picked one up for home, but I've been using an Aeron at work for around 10 years.

eh a black Friday special for like 79.99 from staples. I've sat in DXracers and other high end chairs and they don't feel any better to me than the sub 100 low back chairs i use. sometimes i miss having a high back, but eh not worth it to me. it drives one of my friends crazy that i dropped 2-3grand on a new pc but said it was silly for me to spend 350 on a chair lol.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with super-ergonomic chairs that are supposed to give more support for the back and overall posture? I'm not really down for the giant workout ball or the swedish seat like Coldkill was talking about.

From that picture in the link, it looks like you can adjust the armrests and back? You said it resembles a car seat. Does it have the forward and back movement for the back of the chair?

EDIT: I also can't stand the armrests not going back far enough. The style you linked has the rests kind of floating out on their own(if that makes sense?). I feel like they should extend back all the way to the back support. Pet peeve I guess.
    you can adjust both armrests and back (I usually keep it fully vertical, but it does move down a fair bit - mostly the big thing for me is a headrest), yes, but the armrests don't extend all the way back. it works fine for me, as I only really need enough to keep my elbows at a particular height to reduce issues with carpal tunnel