Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gaming industry needs to be changed.

This is only my personal thoughts, my apologies for that.

Back in past, well it was 1996 when i get my first console but nvm. Games are kinda fun, yeah they look now ugly, i mean mainly here NES games but point is, they gived us more fun than games today? I don't mean here also nostalgia, but also fact, that today most of online games, are maked only to milk money from players, which is not cool. But when it was started?

2004/2005 with WoW release, yep i blame Blizzard for that with paid subscription to WoW. Most of devs i heard in past, tried beat WoW, and allways failed. Well maybe exception is Guild Wars, which if i good heard, GW1 is still popular?

I wonder and asking... Did people really forget for what games are created for? Satoru Iwata quote.

“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing: Fun for everyone.”
    Now all i see in games, is grinding in MMOS, or dissapointing in SP matter games. Where is all fun in that?

Should i start consider myself, to be an gamer caveman? Because i don't like VR or Oculus so?

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Should i start consider myself, to be an gamer caveman? Because i don't like VR or Oculus so?
    You should understand that your generation is no more a target auditory for game developers. MOBA generation is, though. That's why you get what you get, and that won't change, because that scheme grants most money.

So, you have two options:
    1. Deal with it and learn to love games designed for younger generation;
    2. Play old stuff and help passionate devs who share your PoV gather money on kickstarter for their old school-alike games (Wasteland2, Divinity: OS, etc).

I also can advice you to look at indie market. Games from indie developers are the most awesome games nowadays, because indie developers aren't tied to greedy publisher motherfuckers, they aren't being payed by hardware manufacturers to make the games more and more hardware needy, and in general they are focusing over having fun when playing and nothing else. For example, latest game from the authors of Limbo - Inside - is just amazing. Try it, you won't be disappointed.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of my steam library is kinda indie games, and kinda enjoy them more than AAA games.

Also there is still some AAA games i like, but the only moba i really enjoy is Heroes Of The Storm, even if i don't like Blizzard much for some reasons, like greedy etc. HOTS is enjoyable.

LoL however dissapointed me, but this is not topic to talk about it.

Deleted
    Harvest Moon was a fun game. I miss it. ������

Deleted

I've been watching this video and when I saw those oldest NFS games, I could feel some kind of happiness and excitement while watching them, but this can't be nostalgia, because I never played those oldest games. Newest NFS game from 2015 looks visually amazing, but I don't really feel it and I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Most of my steam library is kinda indie games, and kinda enjoy them more than AAA games.
    Yeah welcome to the club, I guess
    Occasionally some enjoyable AAA title, like Witcher or GTA, come out; but in general AAA titles are too overpriced for what they offer.

The problem with enjoyment, as I see it, is that a person who enjoys everything, would not buy optional stuff, because why would he? On the other side, when your hero looks like a bum in a low-res, crappy gear, you feel absolute need to buy a nice skin for him.

What bothers me more though is the "remake" wave we got. In my good days of old, developers weren't trying to sell every minor patch for their product and instead suported their products for free.

Deleted
    Right, because there were no shitty games in the past and there are no good games today...

And regarding the quote about games being meant for fun; they are, you just need to find those that are fun to you. But if none of those made today are fun to you, then tough luck, the industry doesn't need to change because some people don't find new games fun any more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Yeah welcome to the club, I guess
    Occasionally some enjoyable AAA title, like Witcher or GTA, come out; but in general AAA titles are too overpriced for what they offer.

The problem with enjoyment, as I see it, is that a person who enjoys everything, would not buy optional stuff, because why would he? On the other side, when your hero looks like a bum in a low-res, crappy gear, you feel absolute need to buy a nice skin for him.

What bothers me more though is the "remake" wave we got. In my good days of old, developers weren't trying to sell every minor patch for their product and instead suported their products for free.
    I agree here, i got Witcher 1 and 2 on my steam. Got GTA SA as well. But if i look at my steam wishlist, most of games there, is from 2000 - Max 2014. I still need get for example Etherlords.

Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition
    The Witcher 2 & 3 Wild Hunt
    Stardew Valley
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Metal Gear Solid V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
    Don't Starve
    ALIEN: Isolation
    Batman Arkham Series
    DOOM (The new one in case you dont know it)

All of them are great, new and absolutely fun.

If you really just want nostalgia at the sacrifice for gameplay, play Mighty No. 9 - YES, I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    All of them are great, new and absolutely fun.

If you really just want nostalgia at the sacrifice for gameplay, play Mighty No. 9 - YES, I did.
    By the way, Witcher 1 is awesome too, it just has a questionable combat system

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere i have a stack of old gaming magazines, those magazines had plenty of games rated at 50 out of 100 some even less. You are only remembering the classics, the good ones.

Gaming industry couldn't be better, technology is at a point people are again making "garage games" back in like the old amiga 32-64 bit days. It no longer appears to be reserved for big corporations like it was in the last decade and i find that indie and the big industry are complementing each other just fine so i have no idea what you are actually after.

In the time of consoles, picking up -original- not pirated games for a few euros, fat chance. We now have games available for the same price of a pack of cigarettes that's something to think about.

Besides a trip down memory lane but that is simply you telling yourself lies, much like old people always claims how it "used to be better", spoiler: it wasn't. Go google for some of the worst games of the last decades and you'll start to remember it wasn't all that great or even reviews of classics and how they lacked in systems were bug riddled and so forth.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2016-07-03 at 10:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing you can do is speak with your wallet.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Bullcrap.

"Milking" the consumers has always been a thing, even in the NES days or C64 days. The difference now is that the gaming industry is so much bigger, so many more games that can be bad (but also good) - there's also the issue of over-saturation which wasn't such a huge issue as it is now.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still play games for Fun. If I don't have fun I stop playing it and move onto another one that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Somewhere i have a stack of old gaming magazines, those magazines had plenty of games rated at 50 out of 100 some even less. You are only remembering the classics, the good ones.

Gaming industry couldn't be better, technology is at a point people are again making "garage games" back in like the old amiga 32-64 bit days. It no longer appears to be reserved for big corporations like it was in the last decade and i find that indie and the big industry are complementing each other just fine so i have no idea what you are actually after.

In the time of consoles, picking up -original- not pirated games for a few euros, fat chance. We now have games available for the same price of a pack of cigarettes that's something to think about.

Besides a trip down memory lane but that is simply you telling yourself lies, much like old people always claims how it "used to be better", spoiler: it wasn't. Go google for some of the worst games of the last decades and you'll start to remember it wasn't all that great or even reviews of classics and how they lacked in systems were bug riddled and so forth.
    This is pretty much spot on, and i would add that the gaming industry haven't changed all that much. It has always been about making money. I'm positive that if highspeed, stable internet connections had been widespread in the 90's we would have seen just as much dlcs as we do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Bullcrap.

"Milking" the consumers has always been a thing, even in the NES days or C64 days. The difference now is that the gaming industry is so much bigger, so many more games that can be bad (but also good) - there's also the issue of over-saturation which wasn't such a huge issue as it is now.
    Nes games were about £10 cheaper than a new game today but of course inflation. Snes, Ps1 and N64 too. No day 1 DLC bullshit or any DLC at all, no paywalls and again you pretty much bought the game and that was it. Take Battlefield 1 for example. France one of the major powers of WW1 is a fucking DLC. Day one DLC is the shittiest thing ever made for a game.

Games were always meant for the sole purpose of making a profit.

I don't care where you go to school, whether its a scam place like DeVry or an actual University, the professors in your Game Design 101 class will all tell you:

Games are designed to make a profit first and foremost. Most people just don't realize this because they started gaming as children.

Sure its also great to make a game that has some kind of wide-spread appeal or popularity, but the profit margin was ALWAYS the #1 goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Nes games were about £10 cheaper than a new game today but of course inflation. Snes, Ps1 and N64 too. No day 1 DLC bullshit or any DLC at all, no paywalls and again you pretty much bought the game and that was it. Take Battlefield 1 for example. France one of the major powers of WW1 is a fucking DLC. Day one DLC is the shittiest thing ever made for a game.
    Day one DLC is stupid but DLC in general I think is fine as long as the game is complete. You get the same amount of game you would've with an NES game (relatively speaking) but with more added on for a lower price. Now if they purposely cut stuff out and the game isn't complete then yeah, they're just scum.

I don't think the gaming industry is worse, I think you just have rose tinted glasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are in an interesting moment in gaming, we can't say now is bad compared to the golden era of video games (and I believe the current generation just ran out of idea, and we might get another "golden era" of video games if the newer generations is good enough). It's just that there is less special games overall, and way more games overall. First of all we witnessed the birth of video game which is kind of insane when you think about it. But I feel that most has already been done. 2D reached its peak. 3D happened. We got very advanced games in 3D already.

Thing is, the industry grows a LOT, now they take less risk. Less creation. More clones, useless remakes. It's sad. Also game engines used by a high number of good and bad developers results in a lot of games looking the same. Back then you could know the game just by looking at a screenshot. No longer. For the most part. Let's just care about the gems that got released still I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Games were always meant for the sole purpose of making a profit.

I don't care where you go to school, whether its a scam place like DeVry or an actual University, the professors in your Game Design 101 class will all tell you:

Games are designed to make a profit first and foremost. Most people just don't realize this because they started gaming as children.

Sure its also great to make a game that has some kind of wide-spread appeal or popularity, but the profit margin was ALWAYS the #1 goal.
    Yeah. But never forget that there's artists and genius composers who work into video gaming, while money is needed to make it happen, without such creators creating actually good games it would not exist and won't make them earn money. Do not care about how companies needs to make money to keep existing, of course they wll and need to, its their creation that matters. Composers, architecture builders are not dealing with business, they are creators.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-07-03 at 11:46 AM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    It sounds like you should just stick to retro stuff and simply stop buying newer titles on new-age consoles and PC. I mean, if you don't enjoy them and are not having fun, then you're very likely wasting your time and your money on things instead of doing what you enjoy.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!