Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    For gods sake stop arguing about the Carrier - The only reason it is sent there is A, The navy wanted some glory, B, The Navy felt like they could use some practice launching from the carrier.
    It changes the situation in absolutely no way.
    No, they just wanted practice lol. It was even said by the Kremlin. Not sure what are we discussing here exactly. Yea..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    No, they just wanted practice lol. It was even said by the Kremlin. Not sure what are we discussing here exactly. Yea..
    That was what i said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    For gods sake stop arguing about the Carrier - The only reason it is sent there is A, The navy wanted some glory,
    Yes especially when the ship is planned to do a big (costly) refurbishment/modernization then they come back to Russia. They need to show that they can do somthing "useful"

Wonder if they bring a tugboat this time also, or they hope they do not have a mecanical breakdown this time....

10+ Year Old Account
    From Latakia to Alepo is less than 150 km or (<95 miles). Distance IS NOT an issue in this case.
    When you have a short combat radius every mile counts. Do you not understand this? I am also going to guess you have no experience with the difference between shore based and sea based aviation combat operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    When you have a short combat radius every mile counts. Do you not understand this? I am also going to guess you have no experience with the difference between shore based and sea based aviation combat operations.
    I get it, but when we are talking about the Ka-50/52 having over 1100 km range, @ 150km away it can stay for for a long time where it needs to be.I understand what you are saying but the distance of the operation is so close that it doesn't really matter.

They will do their job Kellhound, you don't need to worry about it.
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2016-07-06 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get it, but when we are talking about the Ka-50/52 having over 1100 km range, @ 150km away it can stay for for a long time where it needs to be.I understand what you are saying but the distance of the operation is so close that it doesn't really matter.

They will do their job Kellhound, you don't need to worry about it.
    That is there FERRY range with 4 drop tanks, combat radius is listed at just 470km.

They will do their job, but less effectively than if they were just transferred to the land. This is especially true for those that are not Ka-52Ks.

That is there FERRY range with 4 drop tanks, combat radius is listed at just 470km.

They will do their job, but less effectively than if they were just transferred to the land. This is especially true for those that are not Ka-52Ks.
    Info bellow found >>here<<

Entered service
    Crew 2 men
    Dimensions and weight
    Length 13.53 m
    Main rotor diameter 14.5 m
    Height 4.95 m
    Weight (empty) ~ 8 t
    Weight (maximum take off) 10.8 t
    Engines and performance
    Engines 2 x TV3-117VMA turboshafts
    Engine power 2 x 2 200 shp
    Maximum speed 310 km/h
    Service ceiling 5.5 km
    Range (max payload) 520 km
    Ferry range 1 200 km
    Combat radius ?
    Endurance 1 hour 40 minutes
    Armament
    Cannon 1 x 30-mm cannon (460 rounds)
    Missiles 12 x Vikhr (AT-9 Spiral) anti-tank missiles / 4 x Igla-V air-to-air missiles
    Other rocket pods or bombs

We're saying the same thing here. I agree it wont be as efficient but it will do its job which is PRIMARILY, to TRAIN the pilots. And 520km with max payload its gucci.

10+ Year Old Account
    Info bellow found >>here<<

Entered service
    Crew 2 men
    Dimensions and weight
    Length 13.53 m
    Main rotor diameter 14.5 m
    Height 4.95 m
    Weight (empty) ~ 8 t
    Weight (maximum take off) 10.8 t
    Engines and performance
    Engines 2 x TV3-117VMA turboshafts
    Engine power 2 x 2 200 shp
    Maximum speed 310 km/h
    Service ceiling 5.5 km
    Range (max payload) 520 km
    Ferry range 1 200 km
    Combat radius ?
    Endurance 1 hour 40 minutes
    Armament
    Cannon 1 x 30-mm cannon (460 rounds)
    Missiles 12 x Vikhr (AT-9 Spiral) anti-tank missiles / 4 x Igla-V air-to-air missiles
    Other rocket pods or bombs

We're saying the same thing here. I agree it wont be as efficient but it will do its job which is PRIMARILY, to TRAIN the pilots. And 520km with max payload its gucci.
    Do you understand the difference between max range w/ max payload and combat radius?

Plus, the cost is going to be very high in repairs to those non-naval helicopters and the jet pilots are going to lose most of their carrier landing skills during the 2 year overhaul he is going to be going into.

Do you understand the difference between max range w/ max payload and combat radius?

Plus, the cost is going to be very high in repairs to those non-naval helicopters and the jet pilots are going to lose most of their carrier landing skills during the 2 year overhaul he is going to be going into.
    I am using the max range fully loaded as i can't find anyone a combat radius. Not even in Russian sites (from which i would prefer to find such info).
    Where did you get that number from exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am using the max range fully loaded as i can't find anyone a combat radius. Not even in Russian sites (from which i would prefer to find such info).
    Where did you get that number from exactly?
    I was being VERY generous and using the one on Wikipedia (about the same as given for the AH-64). In reality combat radius is dependent on several factors, and in this case it is likely to be under optimal external temperature, using 2 fuel tanks, and only carrying 4-8 anti-tank missiles. I would not anticipate more than 30 minutes of loiter time either, if that. 520km range means they can at best fly 260km from base and immediately return with no loitering unless they expend or eject all of their ordnance which would extend that slightly.