[Legion] Optimal way to use RoP for each spec

Hello fellow mages, I don't have beta, so I managed to toy around mage only on PTR.
    I don't dislike the new RoP too much, but I'm having troubles understanding when's best used.
    Atm I'm going with:
    Fire - wait for heating up proc, cast RoP, pyro, meteor, fish for other pyros while it lasts (use rop with 2 fire blast charges). Maybe fish heating up procs with scorch during combustion for faster cast time?

Arcane - I think this one is pretty straight forward: drop RoP at every burning phase. Arcane is crap anyway, so I didn't bother testing much xD

Frost - wait for both FoF procs + mind freeze before dropping RoP (and frozen orb out of cd maybe)+other CD spells (like lvl100 talents)

The main thought is to wait for the biggest procs/stacks, drop RoP, pop CD and throw everything in that little window.

One more question: is it worth to always have 1 charge in CD, or is better to save all the charges for the "everything's up" moments? (Prolly this will depends on fight)

Last question! Do you find this playstyle enjoyable in PvE?

Thanks for reading, have a nice and magey day!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodkatwist View Post

I don't dislike the new RoP too much, but I'm having troubles understanding when's best used.

The main thought is to wait for the biggest procs/stacks, drop RoP, pop CD and throw everything in that little window.
    You answered it yourself. Being a major damage increase, alignment with other major cds/buffs will be the core of its mechanics. That means raid major ones (Bloodlust/Heroism) and trinket procs.

Answering the other question it's harder though, since sims are still underway. My personal opinion is that it's always worth to maximise its uptime, since it's so potent, meaning that it will probably be worth it to drop a Rune everytime a trinket procs, making sure to have 1 up every major class cd of course (combustion, arcane power and icy veins).

Finally, i don't like Rune of Power. Its damage increase is too significant, leaving you with the feeling of being an atomical destroyer for 10 seconds and a kid throwing candies for the rest of the time.

Would imagine as frost, you would want to try and line up Ray o Frost with new RoP

Deleted
    Arcane is crap anyway, so I didn't bother testing much xD
    This has become a meme. It's an embarrassing meme because it's wrong. It appears that Arcane might be noticeably weaker at level 100 (possibly) but the jury is out for 110 from what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    This has become a meme. It's an embarrassing meme because it's wrong. It appears that Arcane might be noticeably weaker at level 100 (possibly) but the jury is out for 110 from what I see.
    I hope so. Aluneth is sofa king cool. The idea that we're controlling an unfriendly, if not hostile, powerful entity bound within the weapon is really cool. They even recorded VO because the entity talks to you from time to time.

Arcane is pure shit on PTR/prepatch, no question about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Arcane is pure shit on PTR/prepatch, no question about it.
    But the question is, how does it play at 110 with the artifact weapon and traits unlocked. I feel like many specs are going to suck during the pre-patch since a lot of them were designed to be optimally played with their artifacts in mind.

As I wrote in the beginning of my post, I only tried PTR and there Arcane is utter crap. I'm not saying it will be crap at 110, or during Legion.
    Don't start a crusade against windmills please.

As I wrote in the beginning of my post, I only tried PTR and there Arcane is utter crap. I'm not saying it will be crap at 110, or during Legion.
    Don't start a crusade against windmills please.
    That's true about artifact and 110 stats, but the OP is about PTR

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    What does this mean about choosing an artifact weapon to power up then? For someone thats going to raid and needs to use the best spec and the artifact with most power?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    What does this mean about choosing an artifact weapon to power up then? For someone thats going to raid and needs to use the best spec and the artifact with most power?
    It's still unclear to me at the moment because I don't know the tuning and the final utility balance. Fire is a more general purpose spec than it used to (closer to what content types frost was doing), Frost appears unfinished and Arcane remains harder to play optimally than the rest but it can do more content types than it used to. For the time being, and subject to easily change opinion, I tend to think that since the expansion is starting up with 5mans, it might be able to use fire (mainly because of the trash packs that are 50%+ of the content) but the jury is fully out for later because Arcane tuning might end up making it decisively best at single target and it's still not clear even for 5mans because Arcane now can do AOE more reliably, and Frost doesn't appear to be finished being developed so that also has a chance to be a strong general purpose spec.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how to level since Arcane seems great with presence of mind + charged up though frost has again a lot of "abuse" of Shutter.