15+ Year Old Account

A Little Support for Your Fellow Members

Hello all,

MMO-C has been a home to me as I'm sure it has been to many of you for years. We are a rich community of posters from all around the world. I wanted to create a thread here on the OT sub forums for people who have been going through some difficult health situations. Now, that being said, please remember the rules. This is not a place for medical advice. This is not a place for religious discussion. This is a thread designed to give you a place to vent if you've been going through some tough times and hopefully find some people who can relate. Mods, if I've left anything out of the rules for this, feel free to edit my post.

Maybe you have cancer. Maybe you are suffering with an auto-immune disease. Maybe you're a veteran who's been sufferig from PTSD. With as large of a community as MMO-C, there are plenty of others here who may being going through the same as you. Please feel free to post what you are going through. Just doing so may help others who'll see they aren't alone here. Hell, sometimes just posting about it can help you feel better too. I hope it does.

Now, the obligatory paragraph about me to get things started. I'm a cancer patient. I was diagnosed with a rare type of yolk sac tumor. I've been in and out of hospitals and chemo since two days before Thanksgiving 2015. I lost most of my muscle mass and about 50 pounds between November 2015 and April 2016. I was in a wheelchair for much of my treatment and honestly didn't think I'd be alive by the end of this year. I had my tumor removed on May 5th, 2016 along with half my left lung and various other parts. I've spent the last 2 months trying to get my strength back and just received some rough news again last week. My cancer may be coming back and they are talking about salvage therapy and a stem cell transplant. I'm scared as hell, but trying to eat right, exercise and get my strength up to what I can before I go for treatment again.

Now that that's out of the way, I encourage you to post what you're going through. I hope you are able to find a few others to bond with here. If you aren't struggling with an ailment, but just wanted to post to offer your support, welcome. Thank you in advance. I wish you all the best.

I suffer from a diease called giantpenisitus. I truly suffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I suffer from a diease called giantpenisitus. I truly suffer
    You can have that removed.

...just ask him to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

lol

good one kalis, well played sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing too physically serious. I can't stand straight(Kyphosis of sorts). That's the physical part. It doesn't really have a big or massive negatives on me except for maybe smaller ones like more pressure on my legs when moving(Exercise and such). That's the physical.

The emotional and mental part is more detailed. I'll wait until more posts come because CERTAIN people on this board think I self diagnose, I can assure you I DO NOT, so please don't assume
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I just wanted to add a couple organizations that can help the young adults with cancer crowd. If you are under 40, but not a kid, its hard to find help as a cancer patient. Below are two organizations I've discovered that are happy to do something:

http://www.firstdescents.org
    First Descents wants to get you back out there and push you beyond your comfort zone. It can be scary doing even the simplest things when your coming out of cancer treatment. What better way to regain your confidence then kayaking, surfing, rock climbing or even ice climbing?

http://stupidcancer.org
    Let's face it. Cancer sucks. Stupid cancer supports young adult cancer survivors through advocacy, research, outreach, etc. Stupid Cancer also organizes meet-ups around the US for survivors in fun locations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Nothing too physically serious. I can't stand straight(Kyphosis of sorts). That's the physical part. It doesn't really have a big or massive negatives on me except for maybe smaller ones like more pressure on my legs when moving(Exercise and such). That's the physical.

The emotional and mental part is more detailed. I'll wait until more posts come because CERTAIN people on this board think I self diagnose, I can assure you I DO NOT, so please don't assume
    Thanks for posting Aeluron. I hope you are doing well. I know the mental aspects can sometimes be just as hard or harder than the physical. Best of luck and I hope others do post here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad disc in back between L4 and L5 from years of doing actual work and Diverticulitis.

PM me OP if you want some decent exercise plans to regain strength, helped a mate out years ago after he survived cancer but also lost muscle mass from chemo and the rest of the drugs.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I just wanted to add a couple organizations that can help the young adults with cancer crowd. If you are under 40, but not a kid, its hard to find help as a cancer patient. Below are two organizations I've discovered that are happy to do something:

http://www.firstdescents.org
    First Descents wants to get you back out there and push you beyond your comfort zone. It can be scary doing even the simplest things when your coming out of cancer treatment. What better way to regain your confidence then kayaking, surfing, rock climbing or even ice climbing?

http://stupidcancer.org
    Let's face it. Cancer sucks. Stupid cancer supports young adult cancer survivors through advocacy, research, outreach, etc. Stupid Cancer also organizes meet-ups around the US for survivors in fun locations.
    All these support groups for adults with cancer, but I didn't have shit as a kid/teen after having cancer as an infant, something that permanently disfigured/crippled me and left me open to ridicule for my entire life since then...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    All these support groups for adults with cancer, but I didn't have shit as a kid/teen after having cancer as an infant, something that permanently disfigured/crippled me and left me open to ridicule for my entire life since then...
    That's because you live in Ohio

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Hahahahahaha. Nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Another update courtesy of @Bushtuckrman . He offered to provide a workout that his friend used while in recovery. Thank you again Bushtuckrman for taking the time to type all of this. I hope some of you can benefit from the below.

Hi. A full body training split as its called is required to regain your loss muscle, I will post what worked for my mate who had a similar circumstance to you. It is mostly easy and quite quick however you do need access to weights so a gym membership would be very beneficial.

This program comes in two parts, (A) and (B). Rest is very important so it is best for 1 week to do (A), then rest the next day, (B), then rest the next day, (A) then rest for two days from doing that split. The following week you would then do (B) instead of (A) and (A) instead of (B). It would look like this as an example

Monday (A)
    Tuesday rest
    Wednesday (B)
    Thursday rest
    Friday (A)
    Saturday rest
    Sunday rest

Then the following week

Monday (B)
    Tuesday rest
    Wednesday (A)
    Thursday rest
    Friday (B)
    Saturday rest
    Sunday rest

I suggest starting at the barbell weight which an olympic size barbell weighs 20kg (45 pounds) and try to increase each week. I also suggest doing 3 sets of 8 reps for each as opposed to 5 reps as this ensures you do not try to go too heavy in the state that you are in, as the right form is required for each exercise.

You should also make sure to stretch and warm up properly by doing a light jog, jumping rope, anything that puts your heart rate up a bit for a few minutes. Doing this workout for 6 months consistently will see you improve your base strength dramatically. Your base will also become strong enough that if you wish to get into more difficult exercises that you would have no difficulty in stepping up to do.

(A)
    Barbell Squats - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set
    Barbel Benchpress - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set
    Barbel Bent over rows - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set

(B)
    Barbell Romanian Deadlifts - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set
    Lateral Pull down - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set
    Seated Dumbbell shoulder press - 3 sets of 8 reps with 2 - 3 minutes rest between each set
    Situps - Try to start with 4 sets of 20 situps and work up from there. If your core is quite good you could try resting a weight plate on your chest for extra resistance.

I recommend searching for videos from youtube for the right form. A good place to start is both Scott Herman Fitness https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness

Scooby is another great natural lifter who specializes in home workouts for broke teens and also for older people as he is in his early 50's himself. He also has a fantastic website and believes in healthy vegan eating etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961
    Last edited by Aoyi; 2016-07-05 at 07:45 PM.