Grounding myself when changing GPU?

Hi MMO-C!

I'm changing my graphics card and RAM tomorrow (on a wooden floor) and after reading about grounding myself I'm a little confused. This is the first time I've done it. Does the computer need to be plugged into the mains but not switched on, or does it need to be unplugged completely? Keep in mind that my PSU doesn't have an off/on switch at the back.

I'll be touching the inside of the case to ground myself as I do not have a wristband.

Thanks!

Always unplug anything electrical b4 working on it. And yes, touching the inside of your case or one of your home radiators is a good way to ground yourself.

Deleted
    If you're asking this basic question I'd probably go and watch some Youtube videos of the components you're fitting being installed or of components being installed into your case/mobo.

They're easy installs but quite often you need a liiiiittle bit of force to get things in place correctly and you probably will get a bit worried about breaking things.

Deleted
    And here i came thinking you had spent more than you should and now you were going to ground yourself (as in GOT TO YOUR ROOM WITHOUT SUPPER!) XD

Quote Originally Posted by teezep View Post
    If you're asking this basic question I'd probably go and watch some Youtube videos of the components you're fitting being installed or of components being installed into your case/mobo.

They're easy installs but quite often you need a liiiiittle bit of force to get things in place correctly and you probably will get a bit worried about breaking things.
    Not really a basic question not many people think about grounding themselves when they're buidling or doing maintence on their PC. And you shouldn't discourage people from asking questions.

But simply put yes you should unplug all power from your PC while you're working on it. Just touch your case to ground yourself and you should be fine.

Edit: Plus he wasn't even asking about installing components he was asking about grounding himself before he works on his pc.

Deleted
    First time i hear about having to ground yourself before installing an component. I always put new stuff in without it

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Not really a basic question not many people think about grounding themselves when they're buidling or doing maintence on their PC. And you shouldn't discourage people from asking questions.

But simply put yes you should unplug all power from your PC while you're working on it. Just touch your case to ground yourself and you should be fine.

Edit: Plus he wasn't even asking about installing components he was asking about grounding himself before he works on his pc.
    Thank you very much for the feedback - and thanks to the others too! When you say touch the case, I guess you do mean touch the inside of the case on the metal parts (i.e. the bottom) without it being plugged in?