Crafting weapons from games IRL as a hobby

Hello everyone. I've stalked mmo-champion forum for at least 7 years, almost every single day, but i never bothered to make an account.
    Why? Well, probably because i was afraid of people mocking my English, but that's not really the point of this thread

For the past 2 years I've been very busy with college. I got to the point where i really need a hobby in order to keep my sanity. Something that I really wanted to do was to make weapons from games, mostly wow, diablo or dota. I would NOT use them for anything other than keeping them in my house as a decoration. That means they don't have to be perfect, i just want to relax doing something fun, and be proud of what i did with my own hands.

Problem is, i have no idea where to start, what materials i should use, what tools do i need? Youtube videos were slightly helpful, but mostly confusing.
    If I'm not mistaken most of the people use styrofoam and an amazing paintjob so that it doesn't look like styrofoam at all. And of course a lot of patience and skill. Somebody also mentioned a termoplastic called worbla but the price of it is just....insane. Am i going in a right direction here? Will this hobby of mine cost a lot of money? Is there anything else i need to know? Any help will be highly appreciated. Also, if you know any good guides, videos, sites, please let me know.

Thanks

Okay I will give you some tips to where you can start to look.

EVA foam is a great start for some costumes and props, it's also affordable and can still be used for incredible crafts!!
    To start I would recomend you to check out Kamuicosplay, she has a youtube channel with great tutorials for both new crafters and experienced users!
    She does use Worbla in some of her crafts, but you can do a lot with foam

I wonder if silicon would work.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot of materials you could use, I think it depends a bit on what results you want, what you are comfortable working with and if it needs to be a light prop or if it doesn't matter. Using google to try and find different tutorials might be a start, but you can come a long way just using cheap materials like cardboard, paper-clay, expanding foam etc. Just realized the thread is a bit old but yeah.. Those are a few of the cheaper materials one could find useful.