Thread: Crossbows

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    because it's not his right to hunt and kill an animal for the thrill of it, I really hope OP isn't doing it to feel manly about himself nothing manly about killing a harmless animal with a ranged weapon from a distance.
    and you buying it from the store where someone else has already done it is so much better right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Hunting can be a hobby. To assume that means they are just killing the animal and leaving it there is a bit presumptive no?

One could argue it's a great hobby in that it does help keep animal populations in check and generally has a very healthy impact on the environment if done correctly. Plus a lot of people find it brings them back to a more natural state where you have to actually go out and work for your food VS grabbing some steak at the store.

If you don't feel that that's fine but some of the reactions in here are so over the top mad at a guy who is asking about a bow while following all local laws in regards to hunting legally. It's just insane to me.

If you don't like hunting fine but don't harass a guy who does.

Oh I know it. I plan on putting in my tag next year.

I was simply saying in general it's not nearly as rigorous here as wherever crazy is from. Plus his extreme anger that someone can hunt relatively freely here was interesting.

On a side note I do plan on looking into crossbow hunting somewhere down the road.
    fun fact, if you do kill an animal and just leave it there and are found out, you will loose your hunting rights from a few years on top of a few thousand dollar ticket

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck yo twiddly sticks.

Now THAT is a hunting bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Hunting is barbaric but if the law (where OP lives) allows it then you really got no business harassing the OP about wanting to do it.
    yet again, hunting is so barbaric but going to the store and buying meat right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    What is a good hobby anyways?
    Something that for starters doesn't involve hurting (or in this rather extreme case, killing) other beings.
    I mean, I would consider providing food for my family a "good hobby".
    That's usually called..uhmm...a job.

Which hunting, when done correctly and for correct reasons, is.

And I would consider rape a crime, not a hobby.
    Crimes can't be hobbies?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Something that for starters doesn't involve hurting (or in this rather extreme case, killing) other beings.

That's usually called..uhmm...a job.

Which hunting, when done correctly and for correct reasons, is.

Crimes can't be hobbies?
    That's some wacky view points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    That's some wacky view points.
    I mean if he wants to get technical anything involving plastic hurts living beings when it's disposed of and ends up in the oceans.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    Hm, thanks - I stand corrected.

Here you have to be disabled or over 60 to "Bow" hunt with Cross Bow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    and you buying it from the store where someone else has already done it is so much better right?

- - - Updated - - -

fun fact, if you do kill an animal and just leave it there and are found out, you will loose your hunting rights from a few years on top of a few thousand dollar ticket
    Yup. Which is good. Hunting shouldn't ever be done for trophies. If you are tasked with culling the population of a certain animal at least make sure you put the animal to good use. No need to waste it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Yup. Which is good. Hunting shouldn't ever be done for trophies. If you are tasked with culling the population of a certain animal at least make sure you put the animal to good use. No need to waste it.
    I think we can agree that wasting it should be a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think we can agree that wasting it should be a crime.
    Mhm. That it should.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

I wouldn't recommend a cross bow. While they are extremely effective weapons they require a lot of maintenance and are cumbersome to carry.

Unless you have a fetish to kill something with a bolt just buy a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Unless you're trying to hunt during archery season instead of gun season of course...
    Is there any place where this is a thing? I never heard of it but it is a big world out there.

Yes? Every state I ever hunted in had an archery season.
    That is kinda neat not from the states myself. Is a crossbow still considered archery though in that regard? It technically fires bolts not arrows in most cases. I don't know I might be splitting hairs.

Yes, it's still archery. The hint is that it's called a bow...

My ocd is going off the charts right now. I am going to go on my morning run.

Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    because it's not his right to hunt and kill an animal for the thrill of it, I really hope OP isn't doing it to feel manly about himself nothing manly about killing a harmless animal with a ranged weapon from a distance.
    Spoken like someone who has never seen an unmanaged deer population.

- - - Updated - - -

Wicked Ridge seems to be popular in the South. I like mine a great deal.

I do love all the "look at the pretty animals" people who don't pay anything for conservation.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I hear you can save a ton of money on food. I just have never even used a gun, or killed an animal, and I don't think I would have the stomach for it. I enjoy the eating part, not the killing.
    A ton of money? I'm sorry I don't understand this argument, food isn't that expensive and you'd have to go hunting a few times a week in order to keep yourself provided with meat if I'm not mistaken (unless you freeze a moose or something). + wouldn't you have to hunt weekly for years before you'd get your moneys worth of meat out of it? (hunting license and equipment, 1000$ bow,...).

I'm not against hunting persé (unless if its just for the killing and trophy collecting feeling manly part) but I don't think saving money on food is a compelling argument. Unless you live in some remote corner of the world that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never seen an unmanaged deer population.

Wicked Ridge seems to be popular in the South. I like mine a great deal.

I do love all the "look at the pretty animals" people who don't pay anything for conservation.
    He said killing for the thrill, not killing for managing deer population.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    A ton of money? I'm sorry I don't understand this argument, food isn't that expensive and you'd have to go hunting a few times a week in order to keep yourself provided with meat if I'm not mistaken (unless you freeze a moose or something). + wouldn't you have to hunt weekly for years before you'd get your moneys worth of meat out of it? (hunting license and equipment, 1000$ bow,...).

I'm not against hunting persé (unless if its just for the killing and trophy collecting feeling manly part) but I don't think saving money on food is a compelling argument. Unless you live in some remote corner of the world that is.

- - - Updated - - -

He said killing for the thrill, not killing for managing deer population.
    He is talking about hunting food that eats grass, not all the GMO meat. It's a difference when you pay 2 dollars for shit meat compared to grass fed @ 9 dollars a pound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    yet again, hunting is so barbaric but going to the store and buying meat right?
    Don't worry, they are the same people if stores would shut down, they wouldn't know what to do.