Deleted

Upgrade help please

I'm looking to upgrade my PC for Legion, hopefully to allow me play on ultra settings. Just recently upgraded some components but mainly looking to get a new GPU and case which will allow for some decent cable management.

My current spec is:

CPU Intel Pentium G3258
    RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary
    Graphics 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Storage 465GB Western Digital WDC
    PSU Consair 750CX

Budget about £300-400

Cheers in advance

Please specify which HD 5700 you have. Also, please specify where you live and if you are comfortable with ordering your parts elsewhere.

Ultra settings probably out of the question as you have a weak CPU. Upgrading your videocard is unpractical because it's going to be bottlenecked by your weak CPU, especially in WoW. Your budget likely wont allow CPU upgrades so I'd stick with getting an SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £72.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 22:27 BST+0100

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Please specify which HD 5700 you have. Also, please specify where you live and if you are comfortable with ordering your parts elsewhere.

Ultra settings probably out of the question as you have a weak CPU. Upgrading your videocard is unpractical because it's going to be bottlenecked by your weak CPU, especially in WoW. Your budget likely wont allow CPU upgrades so I'd stick with getting an SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £72.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-06 22:27 BST+0100
    As long as he is not multi-tasking while playing, that CPU will perform fine in WoW.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,3888-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    As long as he is not multi-tasking while playing, that CPU will perform fine in WoW.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,3888-4.html
    It will perform fine but it wont provide playable FPS on ultra in raids and wont fully unlock the RX 480 for other games.

Deleted
    It's a Radeon HD 5770, I live in the UK so tend to use sites like Scan, Amazon and ebuyer.

I'm interested in upgrading the GPU as I'm restricted to 1680x1050 at the moment.

The idea is to upgrade the CPU in the next couple of months.

Case wise I'm like the Phantek Enthoo Pro M, anyone had any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffmeister View Post
    It's a Radeon HD 5770, I live in the UK so tend to use sites like Scan, Amazon and ebuyer.

I'm interested in upgrading the GPU as I'm restricted to 1680x1050 at the moment.

The idea is to upgrade the CPU in the next couple of months.

Case wise I'm like the Phantek Enthoo Pro M, anyone had any experience with it?
    If you're going to upgrade CPU soon then stick with buying RX 480 as Lathais adviced. On the case you are probably constrained by your budget but it would be much easier to help if you could provide as much specification you are looking for in your case: form factor, mandatory front outs, maximum cooler dimentions, color, etc. Anything that you provide could help a lot.

Deleted
    What version of the RX480 would be the best to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It will perform fine but it wont provide playable FPS on ultra in raids and wont fully unlock the RX 480 for other games.
    at a full overclock, it will be fine in wow, since wow runs on two cores and doesn't utilize hyperthreading. That is one of the best bang for buck cpus ever made. It is a dual core gaming monster.

https://youtu.be/evXpqpNhu_Y

based on that, you don't need more than the G3258 for wow; two cores at 4.7 GHz is about as good as you are going to get for wow.

If trying to save money, wait for the 1060, it is leaked to be on par with a 980 and should be in the low to mid 200 range; wait for the non-reference versions as they typically run cooler.

Phanteks makes nice cases, I have a luxe and like it.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Deleted
    cheers for the advice, but if I'm being an impatient idiot then what would be the best version of the RX480? or does it not really make any difference.

cheers for the advice, but if I'm being an impatient idiot then what would be the best version of the RX480? or does it not really make any difference.
    Anything that's not the reference cooler really, so nothing that is out yet. Beyond that, there are differences, but they are minimal. With the RX480 I would also ensure that it has mre than just a 6-pin power connector, either an 8-pin or 2x6-pin would be better.

Deleted
    Anything that's not the reference cooler really, so nothing that is out yet. Beyond that, there are differences, but they are minimal. With the RX480 I would also ensure that it has mre than just a 6-pin power connector, either an 8-pin or 2x6-pin would be better.
    Thanks for reply, I'm embarrassed but still have no idea which one to go for. Currently Scan.co.uk has 3 available and I would like to order to allow for Saturday delivery. The 3 are XFX, Gigabyte and MSI.

Thanks for reply, I'm embarrassed but still have no idea which one to go for. Currently Scan.co.uk has 3 available and I would like to order to allow for Saturday delivery. The 3 are XFX, Gigabyte and MSI.
    All 3 of them are reference coolers, and 8GB models.

Deleted
    All 3 of them are reference coolers, and 8GB models.
    So no difference between the 3 and any one I go for will be no less then the others?

So no difference between the 3 and any one I go for will be no less then the others?
    Yeah, all 3 are the same thing, reference cooler, just sold by a different manufacturer. I would wait for the ones with custom coolers, not the reference coolers to come out.

Deleted
    Yeah, all 3 are the same thing, reference cooler, just sold by a different manufacturer. I would wait for the ones with custom coolers, not the reference coolers to come out.
    Any idea when that may be?