Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I cried when my dad died for sure. If you are asking "is it ok to cry in situation X, society tells me no", then the answer is no, because society told you that. You can apply reason, but it won't matter- if you think that, in your society, crying over thing X is not masculine, then crying over thing X makes you less of a man, full stop.

Basically, if it wasn't true (to YOU), you wouldn't have to ask. You'd either not perceive that society was telling you that, or you wouldn't care.

Is it a truism? Does crying make you a bitch? No, of course not. Unless you believe otherwise, and you don't get to really pick and choose beliefs at this level.

I don't know what to do if a man cries. It's very awkward.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Give him a hug, of course! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, I agree on "not getting your way", but the rest seemed pretty understandable as to why someone would tear up, especially if they're embarrassed.
    Crying out of embarrassment is the most pathetic reason of all. Typical response from people with inflated egos that get a reality check, man-children. It shows a whole array of piss-poor personality traits: Egotism and narcissism being the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I've never cried (well, except when under the age of 12, maybe) because something didn't go my way. I, however, easily cry at emotional moments. When it is just something emotional in a movie or a video game, my eyes might get dewy, but I probably won't cry outright, unless the scene is long enough. In real life though... I can cry out loud sometimes.

Not counting the last few months that have been very emotional for me due to some life events, the most I cried was when my parrot died on my hands. I almost had a heart attack, and I cried out loud. My whole family cried that day. We really loved the parrot. :'(
    Those are understandable reasons. Sad shit happens, tears are shed out of compassion, nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    All the time? I mean there is a limit bro...

Like if your dog dies, ok, I'd probably cry too.

But I mean... come on

Who cares? Honestly? Does it affect you? God, people like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XorMalice View Post
    I cried when my dad died for sure. If you are asking "is it ok to cry in situation X, society tells me no", then the answer is no, because society told you that. You can apply reason, but it won't matter- if you think that, in your society, crying over thing X is not masculine, then crying over thing X makes you less of a man, full stop.

Basically, if it wasn't true (to YOU), you wouldn't have to ask. You'd either not perceive that society was telling you that, or you wouldn't care.

Is it a truism? Does crying make you a bitch? No, of course not. Unless you believe otherwise, and you don't get to really pick and choose beliefs at this level.
    My mistake, I misread.

Cry when you want to cry, Who honestly cares? Why is this even a topic of debate?
    Last edited by Varitok; 2016-07-08 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    Crying out of embarrassment is the most pathetic reason of all. Typical response from people with inflated egos that get a reality check, man-children. It shows a whole array of piss-poor personality traits: Egotism and narcissism being the worst.
    You don't need an ego to be embarrassed. In fact, I would argue it's the opposite, people without egos would be the ones to be embarrassed. If someone was really that self centered, they wouldn't care about others enough to FEEL embarrassed. That's kinda key to being embarrassed, you have to feel like you did something stupid and made other people think lesser of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Pat him on the back. Give him a hug? He's human. You do the same you would for anyone.

Crying is always so circumstantial. Happiness, Sadness, and Pain(Physical) are all completely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? People who cry when embarrassed usually suffer from depression, social anxiety and countless other things. People with inflated egos and narcissism tend to go the opposite direction rage and denial.

I cried when my dog died, before that when my girlfriend (now ex) went back to Finland, before that when my father died. And that covers everything going back as far as 2003. I dont think it makes you less of a man but for sure it takes a lot for those kind of emotions to happen.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Who cares? Honestly? Does it affect you? God, people like this.
    Well are you going to cry about it?

ba-dum-ching

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You don't need an ego to be embarrassed. In fact, I would argue it's the opposite, people without egos would be the ones to be embarrassed. If someone was really that self centered, they wouldn't care about others enough to FEEL embarrassed. That's kinda key to being embarrassed, you have to feel like you did something stupid and made other people think lesser of you.
    In my experience egoists always seek confirmation from others. They want others to admire them as much as they admire themselves and if someone drops the truth they feel embarrassed because they were made out to look bad in front of their peers. Feeling embarrassed is normal, crying about it is what is pathetic, it's childlike. Grow some thicker skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    What? People who cry when embarrassed usually suffer from depression, social anxiety and countless other things. People with inflated egos and narcissism tend to go the opposite direction rage and denial.
    That's a legitimate reason then because they are broken in the head and aren't responding normally to a situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion the opposite is true.
    You have to be strong willed to openly express your emotions. Me don't hide their emotions because they're strong and brave. They do it because they're afraid of how people will react. It's cowardly to hide how you're feeling for fear of society judging you. We are as much at fault for this stereotype as women are, but that's not to say it's not a real issue. It'll just take enough people to break the mold.

On a side note, I cry at least once per season of game of thrones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cry every time Key releases an anime and they have 2 this season, bastards.

Deleted
    If it's during lion king when Mufasa dies that's fair enough...

He had so much to offer the world and he was taken before his time. WHY??????????????

Excuse for me a minute, I have something in my eye...

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well are you going to cry about it?

ba-dum-ching

Hilarious.

Absolutely not. It takes a bigger man to admit that he has cried than one who just flat out denies he ever cries. Crying is not a sign of weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
    So everyone knows the stereotype that men are not supposed to cry, but there are certain occasions where it its acceptable. Such as an immediate family member that has died/ family pet. However, I am have choked back a tear on some super sad movies. Mind you, it would not be a full blown cry, but maybe a tear. But for an actual cry was when my grandfather passed away 4 years ago (doesn't count), was like 15 years ago as a child. How often do you men cry, and what was the reason behind it. As a side note, women do you find an emotional guy attractive?
    In society when it comes to marriage women are mostly valued on looks and the ability to hold a good conversation.
    Women can marry a man who is a proeminent lawyer and instantly gain access to his wealth and circle of friends.
    In a few months she can get everething the man has worked for years of his life in order to acomplish.
    A man who is a good looking plumber and has no future planed for his life, for example will rarely if ever be able to do the same.
    I mean lets be honest here, how many wealthy women do you know who marry a good looking house husband and keeps him home while she works and at the end of the month gives him a portion of her money?

This is not necesarily a society construct. Through out the world and time things have allways been like this. Men were always considered valuble for their acomplishments and were expected to produce results. While women were more admired for their looks and their abilities to comunicate and express feelings.

The truth is that men and women are ment to complete each other. A woman brings to the table what a man lacks, completing him and he completes her in return. We are ment to find "our half" in life because thats what the other person is, the missing piece of the whole.

This is why the vast majority of women (there are few exceptions) are not atracted to men who are very emotional.

No amount of political corectness will change reality.

Now the reason men do not cry in public is mostly because most women find it a turn off. Sure it might be cute to see a man crying once or twice but if he would constantly do it in a relationship most women would defenetly not want to hang around anymore.
    Another reason is hormones. A high number of female hormones does affect behavioral paterns to some degree. This is why some women who are suffering from PMS or who are pregnant will start to cry from things that otherwise they would not.

Finally its the reason that most men simply do not feel like crying. I for once very rarely felt the need to. Instead of crying i try to find solutions. I try to think of things on how to fix the problem. Some friends of mine who are women told me that crying and talking about it helps.
    Nothing further from the truth how ever. If i talk about it i want solutions to the issue, and if the person cannot provide them i would rather not talk about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not. Society seems to think so though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are understandable reasons. Sad shit happens, tears are shed out of compassion, nothing wrong with that.
    But then, I can cry, say, watching this cinematic too...

I am an emotional guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.