Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    A 1080 for WoW?!

Isn't that like ... using a nuclear warhead to kill ants?
    Even my aging 7870 mostly twiddles it's virtual thumbs at ultra.
    What CPU? Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalk3r View Post
    You don't seem to understand how cpu usage works. Since WoW effectively only uses 1,5 CPU Threads (0,5 for audio) and your I7 has 8, obviously you will never reach 100%. BUT that one thread it is using for the combatlog/engine will be maxed out and you WILL be CPU limited. This can only be improved by either a higher IPC or a higher clock (faster RAM also when cpu limited), because Blizz would need to completely rewrite the engine for a better multithreaded usage, which isn't gonna happen.
    Ok going to need your help, because I am not good. Been using various tool to monitor threads, sysinternals, windows own performance monitoring etc, and I am not getting any result to show any cpu bottleneck.

Can you be kind enough to tell me what tools you are using that led you to your statement above and any detail of the tests you conducted would be helpful as well.

thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    Ok going to need your help, because I am not good. Been using various tool to monitor threads, sysinternals, windows own performance monitoring etc, and I am not getting any result to show any cpu bottleneck.

Can you be kind enough to tell me what tools you are using that led you to your statement above and any detail of the tests you conducted would be helpful as well.

thanks for your input.

I am using core temp and gpu-z to monitor cpu and gpu usage.
    What you can do to test if there is a cpu limit is pretty simple, first of all close any programs you dont need, such as chrome etc and run WoW.
    Go to ashran and look in a direction where there are lots of players (max zoom helps).
    Set your grfx settings to low preset but with your native res and render scale to 100%.
    Make sure your fps are uncapped, no vsync etc.. so you can have more than 60 (if your monitor has 60hz) fps.
    Remember that fps value.
    Check the cpu usage in core temp, add all the percents from all the cores together.
    Remember or write down that ~number. Then also take a look at your gpu usage in gpu-z.
    Now go to render scale and lower it to 50%.
    Look again at your cpu and gpu usage.
    Your cpu usage should be the same, your fps should also be the same (unless your gpu is really shitty, i am using a gtx 970 oc btw).
    Your gpu usage should be lower (relative to its clock, if its downclocking itself, like newer gpus do to save energy).
    So you see, you are cpu limited cause your gpu is basically idling and could render wayyyy more fps at 100% load, but the cpu just can't prepare the data fast enough.
    Btw, don't forget that windows is balancing the load of all cpu threads, so you won't see numbers like 100% on one core usually if you have more than a dual core cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post
    I wish I would've known this earlier. I asked on /r/buildapac and was told upgrading from my XFX 7970 was my best upgrade to make.
    It is the best upgrade for like 99% of gaming you will do. It just so happens that as long as your GPU isn't a potato, it will be almost irrelevant to your performance in WoW.... unlike just about every other game where the GPU is way more important.

Quote Originally Posted by D3cadent View Post
    It is the best upgrade for like 99% of gaming you will do. It just so happens that as long as your GPU isn't a potato, it will be almost irrelevant to your performance in WoW.... unlike just about every other game where the GPU is way more important.
    So when I see tech sites saying that they are getting 209 fps that is just running around an empty area or what?

I don't think streaming is gonna lower my fps by 180 fps
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

Quote Originally Posted by Buildapanda View Post
    So when I see tech sites saying that they are getting 209 fps that is just running around an empty area or what?

I don't think streaming is gonna lower my fps by 180 fps
    it's a flight path test. you basically type /timetest and it flies you around after you talk to a flightmaster. Then it spits out fps at the end of it. because when you do a raid the taxi test doesn't apply to that setting. who cares right?
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-07-09 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by windfish View Post
    you can't just compare clock speeds CPU to CPU and says that's how one runs better than the other... http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-Core-i7-3770K the 6700k is significantly stronger than a 3770k.
    .... first off... CPUBoss?

Do yourself a favor and never post that site again.

The performance difference between the two CPUs is entirely based on clock speed. The 3770 is clocked a full 600Mhz slower than the 6700K (i missed that the OP did not have an unlocked CPU). The benchmark differences are basically the difference in clock speeds.

There have NOT been huge gains between generations. Ivy Bridge (3-series) and Haswell (4-series) only had about a 5% performance delta between them at identical clocks. Haswell and Skylake (6-series) had about the same or less. Clock-for-clock, there have NOT been giant gains, and an Ivy Bridge CPU is still PLENTY solid for modern use. IF the OP had an unlocked 3770, he could overclock it to match the 6700 (or probably exceed it, Ivy Bridge overclocked better than Haswell or Skylake) and the performance difference would disappear.

Barring some miracle performance leap on Intel's part (which they are not predicting themselves) Ivy Bridge will be viable for years to come - you're more likely to have to upgrade the machine because youll want newer non-CPU features (PCIe 4.0, USB 3.X/Thunderbolt, etc) rather than because the CPU isn't keeping up. Even Kaby Lake and Cannon Lake dont look to add much performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olrox View Post
    Hiya,

Can I ask - why would you downscale it?

Just legitimately curious here, not sure why that's even an option, I know next to nothing about it and I kinda figure most folks are similarly-situated.

I just moved up to 1440p myself and I'm just curious?
    Because my monitor only supports up to 1920x1080.
    Downscaling is only available via the Nvidia Experience, you can't do it via in-game options.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED