Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Liking what you do is usually the common thread. Not treating a job as a job, but as something you like doing.

So if you like games, you work for a game company, if you like biology/chemistry, you work at a biotech company, etc...

I knew I liked what I did when I had to work two days straight (we all did in the start up) to meet a deadline, and actually found the whole thing exciting... having root access to the whole system, and pushing/fixing code + watching everyone else contribute to get a system up, was pretty cool.
    I hated my job, but I tolerated it because it paid well and had awesome benefits. Now I am enjoying those benefits since I am retired. Got to retire at a early age, 53. I once read a study which said only 25% of workers enjoyed their work. Sometimes we do need to make sacrifices I think for the better benefits for ourselves and family. But, each to his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I realised I didn't have to work and still get £200 a week

These days there isn't necessarily one right profession.

Plenty of people will move into several vastly different job roles throughout their professional life, that's just how things are now.

I love the debate and discourse of ideas. I do it constantly. And I do it well.

I worked for awhile as a social worker/activist, working for organizations like USAID in Africa, doing socio-economic interventions to address proximate causes of HIV/AIDS infection. I felt like I wasn't really doing anything, I was just kind of a triage ER nurse, trying to stop the bleeding.

And then I went to law school, to find out what caused the bleeding, and how to prevent people from getting bloodied. Being a lawyer is fulfilling in the sense that I'm an ideas man, but it also reminds me every day that justice is a collaborative effort. Being an ideas man means shit if you don't have people on the ground.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    When u go to work at 7 am and then 30 minutes later it's 5 pm.

You don't feel the time when you do what you love.
    That is true. Which explains how fast time seems to pass by now that I am retired. Every day feels like a Saturday. I seriously do loose track of what day it is in the week now.

The moment I woke up in the morning and looked forward to heading into the office. Though it might have really started when I looked at my paycheck and realized I could pay my student loans that month AND have money left over.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

7+ Year Old Account
    I knew it after I did something that could have cost me my carreer... Probably...

Details aside, I had a father of a patient thanking me while crying tears of joy. This is a memory I will take to the grave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    I knew it after I did something that could have cost me my carreer... Probably...

Details aside, I had a father of a patient thanking me while crying tears of joy. This is a memory I will take to the grave.
    sobbing, schmobbing.... if they are really grateful someone bakes a cake!