Looking to upgrade (GPU, 144hz Monitor, Possibly CPU)

It's about time for me to start shopping around for parts to upgrade in my rig. It's been a few years since the last upgrades I've done and it's definitely noticeable now with FPS issues and overall smoothness in games.

Current specs;

GPU; GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    CPU; Intel i5-2400 (3.1 GHz) **1155 socket**
    Monitors; 24" 60 hz Acer, 27" 60 hz Acer
    RAM; 8 gigs

Looking to spend somewhere between $500-$1000. Possibly more over the time span of about 2 months. Best deals, advice?

Your whole rig needs replacing. You can replace the GPU but depeding on the application it's not worth it (for WoW, for example). My advice would be getting that 144hz monitor and waiting until you get about $1200-1300 budget to replace the whole rig. When you will be ready to do it fill out this questionnaire please.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Your whole rig needs replacing. You can replace the GPU but depeding on the application it's not worth it (for WoW, for example). My advice would be getting that 144hz monitor and waiting until you get about $1200-1300 budget to replace the whole rig. When you will be ready to do it fill out this questionnaire please.
    Pretty poor advice, a sandy bridge i5 is still an acceptable CPU for gaming in 2016. In fact a 650ti isnt really that slow either, its faster than a gtx 460 which still plays a lot of games on medium today (i know, i have a gtx 465 in my closet i was using up until a few months ago). What games are you having troubles with? When is the last time you did a fresh install of your operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Pretty poor advice, a sandy bridge i5 is still an acceptable CPU for gaming in 2016. In fact a 650ti isnt really that slow either, its faster than a gtx 460 which still plays a lot of games on medium today (i know, i have a gtx 465 in my closet i was using up until a few months ago). What games are you having troubles with? When is the last time you did a fresh install of your operating system?
    Overclocked Sandy Bridge are acceptable, because their overclocking potential is higher than latest Intel CPUs. And yes, this rig can run some of the modern games on medium, but medium is not good enough for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Overclocked Sandy Bridge are acceptable, because their overclocking potential is higher than latest Intel CPUs. And yes, this rig can run some of the modern games on medium, but medium is not good enough for the OP.
    I have a 2500k, i could disable my overclock and not tell a difference in any game unless i was staring at the FPS meter. He needs a GPU upgrade if anything, but id like to see what games he is having issues with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have a 2500k, i could disable my overclock and not tell a difference in any game unless i was staring at the FPS meter. He needs a GPU upgrade if anything, but id like to see what games he is having issues with.
    Well, the difference in performance between decently overclocked 2500k and 2400 is about 20-25%. Difference between stock 2500k and 6600k is arguably around that, between overclocked 2500k and 6600k is even less. His GPU upgrade wont do much for WoW with the same processor and moreover, i5-2400 wont be able to fully unlock any recent release with 8GB VRAM.

Mostly playing Overwatch and WoW.. it's not huge but I would love to have those upgrades for OW more so and not have fps issue in raids with full spell effects

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyed View Post
    Mostly playing Overwatch and WoW.. it's not huge but I would love to have those upgrades for OW more so and not have fps issue in raids with full spell effects
    Well it's a tricky situation then. WoW in a CPU intensive game, OW is a GPU intensive game. Your build is pretty balanced but old. So if you get a GPU you wont have much increase in WoW and if you get a new mobo/cpu/memory you wont notice any meaningful increase in OW.

My advice would be go depending on how much you're willing to spend in the future. If this budget is everything you're willing to spend for the next year or more, then get an SSD plus GTX 1060 when custom versions drop (September probably, maybe a little big earlier if you preorder). If you're willing to spend more in the next 2-3 months definetely upgrade the core components (cpu/mobo/memory) and get videocard later, right now you have to wait for it anyway.