Thread: Build My PC

Build My PC

I recently posted about looking into getting a gaming laptop. After doing several comparisons, I know my money will go a lot farther with a desktop than it would with a gaming laptop. My one special need in this set up is I need to have the smallest case/tower as possible as that is the main thing with my wife. My last desktop had a huge tower that she hated hence why I eventually had to get rid of it. Thanks a lot!

Budget - $1500-$2000

Resolution - 2x

Games / Settings Desired - any mmorpgs other than wow, fps, it's replacing console gaming

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - No, maybe just microsoft office

Country - USA

Parts that can be reused - N/A

Do you need an OS? - Yes

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc) - Yes, but no speakers, i'll use headphones

What kind of a monitor do you have in mind (diagonal, matrix type, refresh rate, freesync/g-sync)? Also, I hope you understand that 2K is 1980x1080
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-09 at 08:42 PM.

before we recommend any builds, have a look at some ATX Mid, mATX and ITX cases and see what size you and your wife are comfortable with. you can even prob pick a case for us to build around if you find something that suits the furniture / fits into that little shelf where VCR's used to live~ (as long as there are places for cool air to come in and warm air to go out)

Thunderball asks a good question, though i am presuming based on "replacing console gaming" and your wife's concerns, that you are planning on having this in the living room and probably hooked up to your tv? clarification would be cool though

Sorry, this will be on a desk area..not on a TV, as far as revolution..1980 x 1080 is fine..the only thing I really know is that or 4k, but I was under the impression that no cards are capable of 4k at reasonable fps? As for the exact monitor, I'm not exactly sure..any suggestions lol

Quote Originally Posted by Miyamoto View Post
    Sorry, this will be on a desk area..not on a TV, as far as revolution..1980 x 1080 is fine..the only thing I really know is that or 4k, but I was under the impression that no cards are capable of 4k at reasonable fps? As for the exact monitor, I'm not exactly sure..any suggestions lol
    ye, well you can't get much out of fps in mmo's so 60hz 4k monitor sounds nice, but indeed requires good cards to do atleast that 60fps on ultra. Well, two gtx 1060 in sli might do the magic tho like 250$each. (release 7.19.2016) note that sli supports might also be poor, in that case turn to single gtx 1080.

I'd still stick on 4 core markets cause mmos are known for their poor multicore support. 6600k or 6700k really.

Ok case isn't an issue anymore..I have a dedicated me spot for gaming..aka master closet..so now just need a build!

Ok case isn't an issue anymore..I have a dedicated me spot for gaming..aka master closet..so now just need a build!
    Do you need an optical drive?

Noob question..but how do I install OS without a optical drive when building a PC? I only built a PC one time and I used the CD

Noob question..but how do I install OS without a optical drive when building a PC? I only built a PC one time and I used the CD
    You buy it on USB.

- - - Updated - - -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($81.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 144Hz Monitor ($537.00 @ Adorama)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset ($56.52 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1952.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-09 20:41 EDT-0400

It seems you'd be better off with an optical drive =)

Thank u very much! What about a network card?

Thank u very much! What about a network card?
    Mobo has build in Gigabit LAN.