Deleted

Angela Eagle to launch Labour leadership bid on Monday

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-09/a...eadership-bid/

Angela Eagle will challenge Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour leadership after union-backed peace talks aimed at resolving the crisis at the top of the party collapsed.

Eagle accused Corbyn of failing "to lead an organised and effective" opposition, promising to explain her vision on Monday.

Corbyn said that he will "contest any leadership challenge" in a fight where he believes he will be backed by members.

"The starting gun has been fired on a Labour leadership contest that is highly likely to culminate in the break-up of the party," ITV News' Robert Peston said.

Corbyn, who won a landslide victory last September, has faced intense pressure to resign.

Nearly his entire shadow cabinet resigned and a motion of no confidence in his leadership was passed following the EU referendum.

Mr Corbyn has responded saying that he is committed to fulfilling responsibilities and "will not betray" the people who elected him, and also committed to working with the Parliamentary Labour Party.

A spokesman for the party leader said: "Jeremy Corbyn has reached out to Labour MPs and made clear he wants to work with them to carry out his role as elected leader of the party.

"Jeremy regards the talks with trade union leaders as a vehicle to bring people together, and it is disappointing that some have walked away from them."

Tom Watson, the party's deputy leader, earlier announced "with regret and sadness" that there was little to be achieved in persisting with talks with the unions due to Corbyn's refusal to step down.

"This means there is no realistic prospect of reaching a compromise that satisfies the majority of colleagues in the PLP," he said.

Unite leader Len McCluskey has described Tom Watson's actions as an "act of sabotage fraught with peril for the future of the party".

Owen Smith MP has said he is "disappointed" that talks have broken down, but said that he is "committed to doing anything necessary to prevent a split, and unite the party".
    So any thoughts from Labour voters here?

10+ Year Old Account
    I defected to LibDem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I defected to LibDem
    Do they have a leader?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Do they have a leader?
    Of course they do

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a local lad from up here. Or, well he's up here now, dunno if he's local.

It's all a waste of time, Corbyn will win the backing of the party membership. They should just defect or form their own party, the membership voted Corbyn in with more votes than all the 3 other candidates combined.

Shows the state of the Labour Party at the moment that Angela fucking Eagle is the best candidate that they can come up with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Do they have a leader?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Farron

To be honest Nick Clegg gets a lot of hate but I think the past year has shown how much the Lib Dems held back the Tories who essentially went full crazy. While no one will beat the media savvy of Charles Kennedy.

As for Leadership against Corbyn, I just think the guy even if the Labour party likes him can not lead the party if MPs are against him. It's no longer Blairites vs Corbynites. It's essentially all vs a small group of Corbyn loyalists. The guy needs to go from the front bench and someone electable to the entire country needs to step up.

Deleted
    labour cannot win the next election with Corbyn at the head, in order to win they are going to need to steal some voters from tory / ukip, which they are not going to do with corbyn

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    labour cannot win the next election with Corbyn at the head, in order to win they are going to need to steal some voters from tory / ukip, which they are not going to do with corbyn
    And as a conservative supporter/voter, but a member of the Labour party, the sweetest thing is being able to vote for Corbyn as their leader in the hope of keeping Labour out for ever. I bet I am not the only one haha
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    I defected to LibDem
    Nobody needs to hear about your masochism fetish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We're a legitimate party dammit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    shhhh You'll have Paddy Ashdown arriving in the dead of night by dinghy to disappear you.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And as a conservative supporter/voter, but a member of the Labour party, the sweetest thing is being able to vote for Corbyn as their leader in the hope of keeping Labour out for ever. I bet I am not the only one haha
    I guarantee you that the Conservative party aren't thinking that. They are quite rightly terrified of what he could do if he gets the working class vote mobilised behind him. Why do you think that the right wing press are laying into him to such an extent?

Young voters are suddenly finding a genuine option available to them; someone who isn't part of the pathetic old brand of politics that drove them away. And since it seems that the turnout of young voters for the Brexit vote was actually a LOT higher than the polls suggested, that could be a band of support that will get Labour into power at the next election.

It's just a shame that the country will be in a complete state by then, assuming that the Conservatives find a leader with the (metaphorical) balls to actually go ahead with Brexit. Mind you, if they bottle it and don't actually leave by the next election, you could pretty much put Gary Glitter up against them and they would still lose.

Whichever way they go, they are going to struggle to get enough support to get back in again. Leaving all sorts of interesting options open, like a Labour/SNP alliance.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    snip
    Think about it, how many more young voters will there be in 5 years time. How many people who currently support him will change their minds? Assuming he lasts 5 years, I'd say he'd be in better shape if he can make it to the election then than were he to contest one immediately.

It seems too few of Labour are in opposition to the Tories. Kinda curious to see how it all plays out, if there's any defections, or a new party rising up.