I don't understand how artifacts work

So I usually play Guardian for PVE and Feral for PVP.
    I get that I'll have to get the guardian artifact for PVE and pump XP into it to acquire its talents.
    Now, I also get that I'll have to acquire the Feral artifact for my pvp spec and level it aswell...

My question: How much am I gimping either spec by leveling 2 artifacts? Is the game forcing me to play the same spec in PVE and PVP to remain competitive?

Thanks for the clueless druid

Quote Originally Posted by Pelleas View Post
    So I usually play Guardian for PVE and Feral for PVP.
    I get that I'll have to get the guardian artifact for PVE and pump XP into it to acquire its talents.
    Now, I also get that I'll have to acquire the Feral artifact for my pvp spec and level it aswell...

My question: How much am I gimping either spec by leveling 2 artifacts? Is the game forcing me to play the same spec in PVE and PVP to remain competitive?

Thanks for the clueless druid
    Once you hit 110, you'll get a bunch of Artifact power from quests and such. Plus you'll get catch up mechanics to get even more Artifact power. So you're not really gimping your self by doing two different specs. Will it take you a bit longer to get both weapons up to speed against a player who's leveled his one weapon, yea, but you'll eventually catch up and it won't be that big of a deal.