Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Unless you want your culture/country to be cucked, probably a good idea to make sure that you maintain sufficient population size. Raising a kid is expensive and some might argue not worthwhile economically speaking without those tax credits.

As for marriage, I think some people mentioned that it's helpful for maintaining social stability. I believe there's a number of other positive benefits for society as a whole for encouraging marriage although I don't really care to go look into those details again.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    THey are, truly. I've seen both my siblinngs' taxes compared to mine and they both get a break for either being married or just shitting out a kid. It's baby back BS.

It blows my mind that we live in a society that wants to distribute wealth but wants me to tie down MR Bubbles to one spouse. It just blows my mind.
    You think the tax break is just for "shitting out a kid"? You do understand that having children is very expensive, and the tax break doesn't even come close to covering the expenses of raising a kid. However, if the corporations want to have cheap labor, they want to make sure people are encouraged to have kids so that labor prices are diluted.

Similarly, the primary reason for the marriage tax break is linked to the mortgage tax break...it is to encourage people to settle down, buy a house (if possible) and buy things like furniture. Nearly all tax incentives are there to encourage someone (the masses if they are being nice, or certain groups when special interests get their way) towards certain behavior.

THey are, truly. I've seen both my siblinngs' taxes compared to mine and they both get a break for either being married or just shitting out a kid. It's baby back BS.

It blows my mind that we live in a society that wants to distribute wealth but wants me to tie down MR Bubbles to one spouse. It just blows my mind.
    Having a kid is expensive, why wouldn't you want a tax credit?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What's the tax break, is it that big of a difference?

I don't disagree with you but then again we give very little support to families in the US in the first place. In regards to child care, maternity/paternity leave etc, we're far behind other Western countries.

I'm more peeved that I have to pay taxes for things that I don't use, like public schools. Minor issue but it's not exactly a public domain like libraries, highways etc...you have to have a child of a certain age to benefit from public school access.
    So you are peeved that you have to help fund kids to learn. Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Having children is a huge financial strain on middle america. It's part of a social contract, and the government gives you tax breaks for starting a family. If you think they're getting off easy on their taxes by having a kid, think again. They have to deal with all of the bullshit that having a kid entails for the rest of that kid's life. That's WAY more money than they ever will get from a small deduction on their taxes.
    Don't like it? Don't have kids. Your argument to get treatment beyond a normal taxpayer is completely bias by your desire to have kids. Me and my wife have been together a looooong time. No kids. We pay a LOT of money in taxes compared to my brother with two sons who gets credit. As for tax break in marriage, it's negligible. Actually look at the numbers. The people with kids get quite a bit more. Fair should be fair regardless but hey, that concept went out the window decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm more peeved that I have to pay taxes for things that I don't use, like public schools.
    If you truly hold this opinion I hope you never have cause to complain about the intelligence of anyone around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    What part of enlightement thinking, the constitution, and/or the Magna Carta specifies marriage tax credits?

- - - Updated - - -

I know what i'm going to do.

I'm going gay.

I got my gay friend on speed dial. The moment his relationship ends, i'm going Chuck and Larry on society.

I don't see how it'll fail unless the IRS asks me to make out with him or something.
    Looks like you will be enjoying the booty for a while

We were told that our taxes would go up if we were to get married. Weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's not how insurance works. And it definitely does cost a lot of money (what country are you in? I'm assuming USA, since its USA taxes)

And transportation costs are factored in for extra travel/maintenance/etc.
    Education is not 'paid for' entirely in taxes.
    On top of everything else.
    That's how insurance works for you when you're on workman's comp and leeching using government handouts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    When someone gets something that I do not, then Its a punishment when I didnt do anything to not deserve it. Its even more so a punishment when Im forced to pay for the thing that they get and I dont. Those INCENTIVES dont come from thin air
    Legalize prostitution and you won't have to pay for sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our tax system is not fair or balanced anyway. So I agree about the marriage tax breaks. The only fair system is a consumption tax. That way everyone ( inc. the drug and pimps also ) pay their fair share. The more money you make, the more you will spend and thus the more taxes you will pay. No income tax returns to do and no loop holes, reductions.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    so, you want to pay the SAME price as everyone who shares the cost of things???
    No - just seems unfair that couples get ADDITIONAL benefits beyond what they already get.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    We were told that our taxes would go up if we were to get married. Weird.
    They can. In some situations it is better for the couple to file separately just for that reason. Depends on how the couple make money, if dependents are involved...etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Our tax system is not fair or balanced anyway. So I agree about the marriage tax breaks. The only fair system is a consumption tax. That way everyone ( inc. the drug and pimps also ) pay their fair share. The more money you make, the more you will spend and thus the more taxes you will pay. No income tax returns to do and no loop holes, reductions.
    It depends what you consider fair. If someone who earns millions pays the same tax for buying bread as someone who earns peanuts that is equality, but it is not proportional equality. The fact that the person earning millions can also buy a ferrari and pay tax on that only has the same overall effect if people actually invested all their money in consumption. The overwhelming evidence (Panama papers etc) is to the contrary. I doubt that thesaurisation is solely due to the fact that we have an income tax system, simply because it is an age-old phenomenon.

Any community has values and certain interests, e.g. in mobile workers, in children, in an educated populace, in modern infrastructure and houses. The tax system is one of the main systems that allows the state to encourage these interests and reinforce communal values on a quantifiable level in the economic system. I therefore think tax breaks for all kinds of reasons are a good thing if they are transparent and accessible enough.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2016-07-12 at 01:42 PM.

I always get a laugh at the anti family edgelords on the internet...these guys must be a blast to hang around during the holidays.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh, suck it up, buttercup. You wanna be single and mingle? Okay. Guess what? That means you clearly have less desire to take on further responsibilities, and therefore don't need as big of a tax break as the people who do.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    I always get a laugh at the anti family edgelords on the internet...these guys must be a blast to hang around during the holidays.
    Edgelord? I don't see what's edgy about not wanting to face higher tax rates than their peers... seems sensible enough to me. If anything, it's edgy to suggest that single people are villainous scum who need to be poked and prodded into marriage because "they're not willing to handle responsibility and need to be motivated into joining society" or other such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    So you are peeved that you have to help fund kids to learn. Wow
    Yes clearly I sounded super pissed off about it

Parents pay $0 in primary/secondary school tuition at public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They can. In some situations it is better for the couple to file separately just for that reason. Depends on how the couple make money, if dependents are involved...etc.
    The choice is between married vs. unmarried. Once you are married, whether you file jointly or separately, you are constrained by the narrower married tax bracket.

Being married can go either way when it comes to tax filing. My wife was sick between 2007 - 2015, so she was not making much. During this time period being married benefited us during tax filing. If I was single, I would be stuck in the 25% tax bracket. However, since I was married, I was able to go down to the 15% tax bracket during that period.

This year my wife is working full time again and is having a banner year. If I am single, I will be in the 25% tax bracket. At the rate my wife is going, she will be in the 28% tax bracket if she is single. However, since we are married, our combined income now solidly put us in the 33% tax bracket. Solid as in no way in hell we can generate enough deduction to get to the 28% tax bracket.