Deleted

Resto shamans, how will you level in Legion?

As the topic says, I wonder how you will level up in Legion? Play as Resto or go with an off-spec to 110? A bit of both?

I currently main Enhancement but will go Resto in Legion but I dont know how I should level. I have seen some posts that the difference is quite small but I wanna know how you will do once its live.

I have levled 3 shamans from 100-110 with all 3 different specs and so far I prefer enchament by far, just save pretty much every AP item you get and use it for the resto weapon at 110 is what I will do.

7+ Year Old Account
    After testing healer leveling on beta, I'm probably going to remain in resto for leveling. Between the trinkets available and your follower/bodyguard/thingie, it didn't feel far off from leveling as a dps. The initial leveling burst of people will make it relatively easier, as well, with all the multi-tagging quest mobs.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

My resto will be the first toon I level to 100, and I think I'm going to do it as Enhance. My plan is to utilize all my AP items on the resto artifact, and for those quests that reward AP, make sure I'm in resto spec/gear when I turn it in. This may/may not cause me some pain as i get closer to 110 and my enhancement artifact hasn't powered up to help me kill stuff, but I want to be as far ahead as possible when the first raid opens. Given that our artifact path to having all three golden dragons is seriously f'ed up compared to some other classes (for example my Prot warrior could theoretically have all 3 of his in 464k AP, whereas it takes my resto 1,341,000 to get there), I don't want to spend AP on anything other than main spec for a while.

Once I get sufficent research done, I might spend enough on Enh to get a couple gold dragons (which incidentally you can get the first 2 with just 33k AP, compared to 160k for resto), but it'll be a while. We seriously got the shaft on getting our golden dragons. Don't get me wrong, we'll get some other good stuff in the meantime, but the disparity between us and most (not all) classes/specs is pretty glaring.

I did 2 resto shamans to 110 and 2 enhance shamans to 110 (one of each in alpha and one of each in beta). Definitely going to do enhancement on live and definitely am going to use all the AP I gain questing on the enhancement spec since with the changes they have made recently, there is very little advantage to hoard the questingAP. The first 11 points combined cost less than the 14th point in the artifact (and about 1/6 of the 18th point) and so there is very little you will gain by hoarding all your AP items and using them on your resto spec.

Since there is no real 'limit' to how much AP you can gain at any point apart from the amount of time you decide to play your character, there is very little reason to gimp yourself in the leveling process with the meager amount of AP you get from the quests, especially when enhancement can get some very amazing early artifact talents (relative to resto) that make leveling much more fluid. Though they did say they will be nerfing alpha wolves, I still believe it will be incredibly potent. These are my experiences anyway from leveling on beta, everyone will feel differently on what 'fast' means.

However, the bigger reason for me is not the leveling process. At 110, healers don't scale as well as DPS. They are still behind on the leveling process, but its not as far apart. I can still burst 400-500k (and sustain 250-300k) on my enhance on certain quests while my resto shaman can't reach 100k. Between things like the suramar scenario and just basic world quests, things at 110 will be very slow as resto. You may be able to rely on tagging, but with a 6 second flame shock CD, we are not really the best healing class to be tagging multiple mobs to get credit.

@ Gardiff - So you are proposing picking up the first 13 artifact levels on the enhancement artifact, then utilizing all future AP for the resto artifact? With the thought that those 13 points will enable you to do level 110 content without wanting to slit your wrists? Will this leave us underpowered as healers for initial heroic dungeons, to the point where we don't want to enter them until we've quested up enough AP to move our healing artifact along a ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardiff View Post
    I did 2 resto shamans to 110 and 2 enhance shamans to 110 (one of each in alpha and one of each in beta). Definitely going to do enhancement on live and definitely am going to use all the AP I gain questing on the enhancement spec since with the changes they have made recently, there is very little advantage to hoard the questingAP. The first 11 points combined cost less than the 14th point in the artifact (and about 1/6 of the 18th point) and so there is very little you will gain by hoarding all your AP items and using them on your resto spec.

Since there is no real 'limit' to how much AP you can gain at any point apart from the amount of time you decide to play your character, there is very little reason to gimp yourself in the leveling process with the meager amount of AP you get from the quests, especially when enhancement can get some very amazing early artifact talents (relative to resto) that make leveling much more fluid. Though they did say they will be nerfing alpha wolves, I still believe it will be incredibly potent. These are my experiences anyway from leveling on beta, everyone will feel differently on what 'fast' means.

However, the bigger reason for me is not the leveling process. At 110, healers don't scale as well as DPS. They are still behind on the leveling process, but its not as far apart. I can still burst 400-500k (and sustain 250-300k) on my enhance on certain quests while my resto shaman can't reach 100k. Between things like the suramar scenario and just basic world quests, things at 110 will be very slow as resto. You may be able to rely on tagging, but with a 6 second flame shock CD, we are not really the best healing class to be tagging multiple mobs to get credit.
    How come you would choose to go enh over ele? Once we get raiding you will have more gear overlap with resto as elemental and whatever off spec you choose still needs to be able to do world quests. So do you plan to keep up a enh spec during the entire first tier or respec to ele sometime later?

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    How come you would choose to go enh over ele? Once we get raiding you will have more gear overlap with resto as elemental and whatever off spec you choose still needs to be able to do world quests. So do you plan to keep up a enh spec during the entire first tier or respec to ele sometime later?
    The only gear issues would be with trinkets and the cloak enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    @ Gardiff - So you are proposing picking up the first 13 artifact levels on the enhancement artifact, then utilizing all future AP for the resto artifact? With the thought that those 13 points will enable you to do level 110 content without wanting to slit your wrists? Will this leave us underpowered as healers for initial heroic dungeons, to the point where we don't want to enter them until we've quested up enough AP to move our healing artifact along a ways?
    From what I have leveled, I was able to get the first spirit wolf trait from questing and about 1 point shy of getting the 2nd trait. This is ~11 points by the time you get to 110. I am going to pretty much reach 13 points in enhance at which point there is a rapid spike from 1000 to 6800 or so which also coincides with enhance's 1st gold artifact along with its 2nd 'solo' point artifact (both of which are strong).

After that, I am going to start leveling resto mainly. Eventually when knowledge kicks in, I will probably continue with enhance (a month or two). I never felt weak starting off heroics as resto with a 0 point artifact. Once at 110, you'll be surprised how rapid the gains come from some quests in suramar (which are not knowledge-based and so they just provide a large flat amount).

I should add though that there is one thing that you need to take into account . Blizzard recently changed the final 20 points of each artifact. Previously they used to be 0.5% incremental increases in damage (or healing if resto). Now, it starts at a baseline of 5% and then goes up by increments of 0.5%. That is pretty massive all things considered to get the FIRST 5% boost. The 0.5% increments after are pretty small. So yeah after the first 12 or 13 points of enhance, it will be pure resto for me. Things felt pretty good with the 13 points. Ideally you would pick up the other 'solo' artifact for enhance, but that is 4 additional points and that will be pushing it since there is that massive spike and you will want to try to get to your 2nd gold artifact as resto before mythic raids hit.

@Axelond, I actually have not played Ele or spec'd it since BC. That is the main reason. I just have never liked it as my off-spec. The gear overlap is almost irrelevant at this point since primary stat gear doesn't exist on rings / necks anymore and so the ONLY pieces you would have to worry about switching are the trinkets and weapon. The thing is this would be true for EITHER ele or enhance. Everything else overlaps now in Legion. I just simply have never liked elemental, that is the sole reason.

I will level as enhancement aswell. Tried elemental but didnt like it. Only healing is hard cast surge, harder to keep mobs away now when you need to chose between earthgrab and cap totem, no spiritwalker, overall just felt like playing as a meele but with way less survival than enhancement.

here is another thread with some people not liking the ele levling: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...egion-questing

Gear issues wont be a problem, only have to change trinkets and weapon, which would pretty much be the case anyways unless you get the "pure stat" trinkets.
    Last edited by heltvild; 2016-07-12 at 09:48 PM.

After leveling as each spec, I'll definitely be going enhancement. Unless something majorly changes for ele it's just too anemic to do anything. Enhance feels much more fluid, instant self-healing (hope they fix the 29 maelstrom required to do while moving) and doom wolves/alpha wolves (even after nerf) make leveling a breeze.

As far as being a resto main spec, it's pretty much just check out the rewards. Most gear is the same outside of trinkets, which are the only thing to worry about as there's no more spirit. So just look at the secondaries and pick from there. For any AP gains, just swap specs and check out the rewards. There's plenty of times you'll get artifact slot items that won't be an upgrade to what your main weapon has, and you can just slot them in your second weapon. Think by time I was at 110, had a 805 artifact scepter and 791 enhancement. So it isn't too terrible. Though the important thing I'd suggest is to bag and hold onto all the AP items you get, and put them in a bank or elsewhere so you don't accidentally use them on the wrong weapons. Then you can just go for one click session before you log off.

Just level as resto. I got BETA yesterday and had a chance to test this last night...

I leveled entirely as resto, i stuck to main story quests, completed one whole zone (bar the dungeon quest at the end) and half of another. I skipped cutscenes and didnt read quest dialogue (how i normally play MMOs). Youll kill single target mobs slower but if your pulling 3 mobs at a time, rotating flameshock and spamming chain lightning then the kill speed is very very similar. Moreover since alot of quests involve collecting objects (as opposed to killing mobs) you can abuse your survivability to run right through mobs to where you need to be. Also your able to kill rare and elite mobs solo that would wreck any singular dps.

All in all after about 4 hours of play i was well on my way to lvl103 with 5ish artifact traits unlocked. Leveling as resto was the only reason i even wanted to touch the BETA and im glad i got the chance, now i know for sure ill be leveling as resto.

Aren't Bis stats for enhancement and resto the same? mastery/haste?

They changed that cloak and rings now also change so I would say enhancement gear is closer to resto gear then elemental

I've heard that there are certain quests that don't give you an AP consumable. They just directly give you AP to whatever spec you are. I don't have beta so I don't know if that's true, but if that's the case then I'll be leveling as Resto.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Leveling premade vs character copy makes a big difference for elemental as the mythic archimonde class trinket is 156% buff to flame shock damage so you can kill any group of mobs with flame shocks and kite until level 107ish. Hydraxis full heal from class hall makes self healing less relevant. Along with Health pots and the 2 min full heal I almost never need to cast healing surge. You also get the huge advantage of being able to tag mobs with flame shock 40 yards no cooldown. On launch tagging will be more important than damage so leveling melee could be very annoying. You only really need 3 points spent in elemental artifact 30% to flame shock and then save rest of your artifact power. Once legendary ring and secondaries starts diminishing and HFC get replaced by quest gear in the 107 range I think Enh will be better for world quests and Suramar.

Another tip for leveling is do the Resto artifact quest as dps spec if you do it early. With mythic gear you can destroy all the mobs in the resto artifact and you barely need to off heal. Just switch spec right before you grab the artifact near the end.

You also get the huge advantage of being able to tag mobs with flame shock 40 yards no cooldown. On launch tagging will be more important than damage so leveling melee could be very annoying.
    Lightning bolt is instant cast for enhancement and 40 yards. Most quest mobs are faction shared as well.

We are okay, Nice talents, Nice Artefact trait, and Nice Raid bonus set/legendary

Deleted
    I'm gonna try levelling as resto with bodyguards / other guildies. If it feels too slow I'll swap to ele but I'd like to try and do it as resto. I've heard it's actually not that bad.