Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Doctor speaks out on treating the officers shot in the Dallas attack.

(CNN)Dr. Brian H. Williams, a trauma surgeon at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, was on duty last Thursday night when wounded police officers began to arrive in the ER.

An emotional Williams said Monday he "had been going nonstop since then," and talked about the aftermath of the ambush that killed five officers.
    "I think about it everyday that I was unable to save those cops when they came here that night," Williams said at a press conference. "It weighs on my mind constantly. This killing, it has to stop."
    "This experience has been very personal for me and a turning point in my life," said Williams, who is African-American. "We routinely care for multiple gunshot victims. But the preceding days of more black men dying at the hands of police officers affected me. I think the reasons are obvious. I fit that demographic of individuals. But I abhor what has been done to these officers and I grieve with their families."
    The ambush in Dallas followed the fatal shooting by police of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota.
    The black community and the police need to work together, Williams said.
    "I understand the anger and the frustration and the distrust of law enforcement, but they are not the problem," Williams said. "The problem is the lack of open discussions about the impact of race relations in this country. Black men dying and being forgotten. People are retaliating against the people who are sworn to defend us. We have to come together. And end all this."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/us/emo...ams/index.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Law enforcement is indeed a problem; however, it's not one that is targeted specifically against blacks (though blacks are treated unfairly). It's a problem that's generally against anyone who isn't blue.

Law enforcers often escalate issues instead of deescalate them, and are undertrained. I mean in New Jersey a trooper literally arrested a woman for speeding because she refused to talk, and then told her you have the right to remain silent after he arrested her for it!!! The higher ups said it was all a mistake but she's suing, oh by the way she was a lawyer.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf..._silent_d.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Law enforcement is indeed a problem; however, it's not one that is targeted specifically against blacks (though blacks are treated unfairly). It's a problem that's generally against anyone who isn't blue.

Law enforcers often escalate issues instead of deescalate them, and are undertrained. I mean in New Jersey a trooper literally arrested a woman for speeding because she refused to talk, and then told her you have the right to remain silent after he arrested her for it!!! The higher ups said it was all a mistake but she's suing, oh by the way she was a lawyer.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf..._silent_d.html
    Lol...

"Police arrested someone who broke the law for choosing to be an antagonistic asshole during the confrontation instead of choosing to cooperate and then going about their business! Obviously police are out to get everyone!"

I was really impressed with this guy. Its a good point about race relations. How cops act now isn't the problem or root of it, its the consequence of race relations.

*gets the popcorn ready*

Oh this is gonna be gooooood! Especially when we start talking about how the governments of the past created the problems of today (which is true, but people love to deny inconvenient truths).

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    I was really impressed with this guy. Its a good point about race relations. How cops act now isn't the problem or root of it, its the consequence of race relations.
    I agree with most of what he's saying. I like that he brought up the fact that nobody on either side is trying to talk about it and come up with solutions. You just have the one side rioting and the other side trying to keep them in order. I really feel like if BLM would name an ambassador and uniting with the cops to come up with solutions that this would be fixed alot faster.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I agree with most of what he's saying. I like that he brought up the fact that nobody on either side is trying to talk about it and come up with solutions. You just have the one side rioting and the other side trying to keep them in order. I really feel like if BLM would name an ambassador and uniting with the cops to come up with solutions that this would be fixed alot faster.
    But that would work toward actually fixing the issue. There's no extended career in activism if you try to fix the issue. It's better just to claim everyone is out to get you.

Everyone forgets that for every encounter with a law enforcement officer that ends badly There are 10s of 1000s that end with no one being hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    Everyone forgets that for every encounter with a law enforcement officer that ends badly There are 10s of 1000s that end with no one being hurt
    I agree with you 100%

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    And that in the vast majority of those that end in violence, said violence was caused by the people the police were called on to deal with's own actions. I say vast majority, but really its like 99%. If a cop says, keep your hands away from your pockets and you jam your hand down in your pocket and they shoot you... It is not because police hate your race and are out to get you... Its because you're a fucking idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still annoyed at what happened to the Police in Dallas. The vicious cycle continues.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    What does he have to be scared of? He's a well spoken, educated man who, doubtfully, owns a gun or has a laundry list of committed crimes under his name. Here is a thought. Don't commit a crime, and if you do, don't resist the police! Super crazy, I know.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2016-07-11 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    *gets the popcorn ready*

Oh this is gonna be gooooood! Especially when we start talking about how the governments of the past created the problems of today (which is true, but people love to deny inconvenient truths).
    That's the kind of stuff Ben Carson gets called an uncle tom or a coon for by white liberals and BLM types.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    What does he have to be scared of? He's a well spoken, educated man who, doubtfully, owns a gun or has a laundry list of committed crimes under his name. Here is a thought. Don't commit a crime, and if you don't, don't resist the police! Super crazy, I know.
    Nah man. These kinds of shootings aren't happening primarily to criminals or people acting suspect or refusing orders. They just see a black man and open fire.

I said this before and i'll say it again. the problem is Americans are unable to realize in these situations there might be 2 people wrong, or two people right.
    The only way any argument with Americans can go is their way or NOT their way. (quick note, I am dutch by birth but last year became an american citizen so i see both sides).

And in the last two major incidents frankly one was the fault of the person being arrested and the cops were right, the other both parties were wrong.
    But god forbid anyone tries nuance in these discussions.

It's either you hate the police or you hate black people, you can't think both are wrong/right in certain occasions ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    And that in the vast majority of those that end in violence, said violence was caused by the people the police were called on to deal with's own actions. I say vast majority, but really its like 99%. If a cop says, keep your hands away from your pockets and you jam your hand down in your pocket and they shoot you... It is not because police hate your race and are out to get you... Its because you're a fucking idiot.
    Someone posted a stat recently and it was something like over 40 million people interacted with police in 2015. Even if 4,000 people got killed by police every year it would still be less than 0.1% of the people who interacted with the police. You'd be more likely to die from a bee sting than to die from a police officer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The problem is that the problem itself is largely overstated. But we do love to get worked up about any little issue from a lion being shot by a dentist to 'antisemitic' twitter posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    The problem is that the problem itself is largely overstated. But we do love to get worked up about any little issue from a lion being shot by a dentist to 'antisemitic' twitter posts.
    I mean honestly the issue has died several times, but Donald 'little hands' Trump can't leave well enough alone and keeps bringing it back up himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I mean in New Jersey a trooper literally arrested a woman for speeding because she refused to talk, and then told her you have the right to remain silent after he arrested her for it!!! The higher ups said it was all a mistake but she's suing, oh by the way she was a lawyer.
    This lawyer didn't know of Miranda rights?

The first time blacks rose up in opposition to police brutality as far as I know was right after WWI. A bunch of black veterans returned from the war, there was a couple of incidents just like now and a riot broke out. There were black snipers on roofs shooting cops.

Then about every generation, say 25 years after that violence over police brutality would flare up again. The anger always dies down after a while and goes away.

But at some point we should try to fix things so that 25 years from now, the next generation doesn't have to deal with it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland