Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    Assuming these jurors do get the paycheck from the government and have no oversight. Still, a layman jury is much more problematic in my eye.
    The point of a layman jury is to prevent the judge from going too scientific on shit and producing results that are not connected to the real world. Which is a real possibility. I know that legal experts sometimes get fascinated with the unreal quirks legal systems can produce. It leads to weird and unexpected results once in a bluemoon. Laymen are there to prevent this from happening. They're there to say "Hold on, this isn't some academical question, this is a real life case... you need to step back and take a look at what you're about to do".

And for that, their input is very valuable. The problem we have these days, however, is that their opinion seems to get way to much weight in cases that are complicated and the weird result is actually the expression of actual justice in a complicated way. While jurys need to refrain the judge from going weird places with his legal interpretations, there are cases when a judge needs to be left to his own devices and fit a legal system onto a case without precedence or any actual legislation suitable for it. And sometimes a weird result needs to happen just so the case can be taken up with the higher courts (ultimately the supreme court) just to get the highest possible authority to make a basic ruling everyone else can take as precedence. Laymen don't understand these intricansies of legal systems and why sometimes stupid rulings have to happen for the greater good.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Something sadly and eerily wrong with that though.

Lack of education seems to cause democracy not to be very effective.
    Yeah...I just wish some people wouldn't exploit people's ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah, apparently all it takes is publicly threatening to murder children.
    Because cops are never fired for any other reasons /s

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    He should be put there to ensure the safety of the family in question if he makes threats like that until the trial
    The police are not legally required to protect anyone. Their job is to enforce the law.

This policeman has no business being one. He was fired. Hopefully the end of the issue.

Deleted
    Okay I might be unable to really get the meaning of his comment. From my perspective it looks like a (very crass, lacking in tact) note that parents shouldn't be publicly documenting the private life of their children. It's delivered poorly, but I can't see it as a threat, with the underlying message actually being quite important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

"Jurors" should be professionally trained people, not being manipulated by either side. I don't think layman jury has any place in a criminal justice system.
    Na. Totally defeats the concept of being trialed by your peers. Part of our democracy here if you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Na. Totally defeats the concept of being trialed by your peers. Part of our democracy here if you like it or not.
    But it's pretty dumb when someone gets convicted or set free just because the jury had emotions. Law should have no emotions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that the cops who overreact and kill people are bad people. Just people who are put in stressful situations and are too on edge.

But this guy. This guy is fucked up.

Threatening someone is not a criminal offense. Threatening a kid's life as a cop is sure way to get fired.

This is from Huffpo? It's probably fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    But it's pretty dumb when someone gets convicted or set free just because the jury had emotions. Law should have no emotions.
    No offense, but it is pretty dumb to assume even paid for employees have no emotions or temptations for bribes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wtf. That's a direct threat to her child, hopefully he's prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Threatening someone is not a criminal offense. Threatening a kid's life as a cop is sure way to get fired.
    Erm, yes it is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Guy sounds like a complete douche.

If the mom is being an asshole then call her on it. But don't ever threaten the little kid.

I'm glad he got fired. Fuck him.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

*please dont be black please dont be black please dont be black*

the kids black. FUCK.

Deleted
    Step 1) cherry pick something done by person who is a cop
    Step 2) basically make your news about him being a cop
    Step 3) Enjoy the current cop-hate momentum the media is paying so much attention to
    Step 4) Get all the attention from people who reduce people to their profession/color.
    Step 5) Click. profit.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because cops are never fired for any other reasons /s
    I mean it's hard to fire a cop.

I mean remember this case:

A woman was distraught she wasn't cooperating, the cop turns off the cameras. She ends up like that, the cameras are turned back on when she's bloody and on the floor. They said they couldn't prove anything because they had no video after the cop turned off cameras.

After a one year hiatus he was re-hired. Actually I don't think he was actually fired, but on leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Everyone knows they rarely are in the US.

They tend to have to go to extreme lengths and circumstances to get any punishment for misbehavior at all.

There's loads of reports of cops sexually abusing / raping / blackmailing women. Sometimes under age girls. But sure, keep portraying them like heroes. Keep giving them more protection and more rights to abuse others...

And people wonder why some get angry...
    You can thank unions for that. Some of its true and they dont' get punished and some of it's lies, to say that officers don't get fired is nonsense

Also people making false reports on arresting officers, that never happens

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I mean it's hard to fire a cop.

I mean remember this case:

A woman was distraught she wasn't cooperating, the cop turns off the cameras. She ends up like that, the cameras are turned back on when she's bloody and on the floor. They said they couldn't prove anything because they had no video after the cop turned off cameras.

After a one year hiatus he was re-hired. Actually I don't think he was actually fired, but on leave.
    I didn't say corruption doesn't happen because I Know dirty cops get protected but to say they don't typically get fired is also and equally ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Also people making false reports on arresting officers, that never happens
    It probably happens way less frequently than you think, considering that it is illegal to file a false report and if you file against a cop they're motivated to pursue charges against you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    It probably happens way less frequently than you think, considering that it is illegal to file a false report and if you file against a cop they're motivated to pursue charges against you.
    And yet it still happens, amazing how criminals don't care about the law, huh?