Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

AMD GPU Fanspeed troubles [Advice Needed]

Hey guys.

So, my little computer is running quite odd for the past 2-3 months, and it all seem to hail from its driver updates. Currently using AMD Radeon R7 240 (I know, nothing awesome), this card is able to run the games, or was able to fun the games fine but recently it has gone down hill. Sadly, I am unable to reach much contact from AMD due to their "support" being community based at most.

Wrote on their "support" community about it, without luck.
    Alrighty, I have been told that more information is needed, so I'll go through a list given and give as much as I can. Take notice, this was NOT a problem 2½-3 months ago, I don't have the exact time due to a new born taking all the attention. This feels as if the device runs at higher speed than it is needed to. Checked HW Monitor, and it is running at maximum RPM with a temp. of about 30-50 celciuis. This doesn't seem right, nor needed. Something wrong with the current AMD Radeon Crimson Setting 16.3.2 driver?

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon R7 240 Dual (2 gb)

Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop, HP Pavilion 500 PC Series

Operating System
    • Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit

Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2

Display Devices
    • HP, HP 2009v 1600x600 @60hz VGA to DVI

Motherboard
    • MSI Orchid 2-S

CPU/APU
    • AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C + 6G

Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
    • N/A 180 Watt

RAM
    • 8 GB DDR3

Describe your issue:

Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
    • Cleaned out the computer - No positive result.
    • Cleaned out the graphics card unit and checked the fan - No positive result.
    • Re-installing drivers (Not 100% clean install) - No positive result.
    • Manually adjust fanspeed according to temperature, 20-35% without mechanical sound, 35-45 50/50 result, 44-70% mechanical loud, 71-100% sounding like a computer should when needing such high speeds.
    • Re-installed Windows 10 - No positive result.
    • Sent unit to repair, returned with a new graphics card, factory settings of driver (MS-Driver) - No mechanical sound, but reduced performance.
    • Clean installation of newest Radeon Crimson Settings - Performance increase, but mechanical sound returned.
    • AMD Uninstallation tool used for 100% clean installing - No positive result.
    • Back to manually adjustment of fanspeed.

N/A this is hardware, the card operating its games fine with the driver, but not without. This device makes loud noise from the fan no matter what program or not is in. As soon as the device operates above 35%, the mechanical sound appears. This wasn't a problem 2-3 months ago, now it is. Same problem now experienced on secondary unit, as games were lagging due to Windows standard Driver, changed to AMD driver for better performance, but mechanical fan sound appearing.
    Further note: There is no overclocking or the likes.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    30-50c is a big difference. is it 30 idle and 50 under load?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    30-50c is a big difference. is it 30 idle and 50 under load?
    Well, the thing is, the noise is loud often, even on 30c. I have to manually adjust the Fanspeed to avoid it being too loud, then when it gets about 50+ under load, I have to turn up the speed (where it starts getting too noisy again).

Currently, on basic use (browser and some apps) it's at about 30-40c with the fan at 20%-30% speed. But it is already here, noisy.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Get SpeedFan and setup a custom fan profile for GPU. I noticed on my 7970 that the default radeon fan profile didn't work properly and I was getting 90C in Overwatch, so I enabled SpeedFan and my temps are now 60C with ok noise levels (don't hear it with headset).

You can also enable SpeedFan to autorun on boot, but only true the Windows scheduler as the application requires high permission level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Get SpeedFan and setup a custom fan profile for GPU. I noticed on my 7970 that the default radeon fan profile didn't work properly and I was getting 90C in Overwatch, so I enabled SpeedFan and my temps are now 60C with ok noise levels (don't hear it with headset).

You can also enable SpeedFan to autorun on boot, but only true the Windows scheduler as the application requires high permission level.
    hmm, guess that is something one has to look in to. Just weird, ever since the last two updates, it's been running loud RPM's while the settings system only says running X amount of % but sounds like running max.

I guess the case doesn't do much dampening the sound when you can hear it at 20-30%.

Or are you saying that it is making more noise than it should at those speeds?

The temps are well below any problematic level anyway, so you could lower the speed while keeping an eye on the temps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post

Got a safe link for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Got a safe link for it?
    You can get it in their website

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I guess the case doesn't do much dampening the sound when you can hear it at 20-30%.

Or are you saying that it is making more noise than it should at those speeds?

The temps are well below any problematic level anyway, so you could lower the speed while keeping an eye on the temps
    Its noise is louder than the % of speed indicates it should. The temperature only becomes a problem when I'm at 20% for an hour or two, then I have to flick it up. Sounds like the RPM's doesn't match the driver % number it handles.

When it's at 20-35%: That is how it should sound on average use.
    When it's at 35-45%: This is where the sound goes all the way up, like only running WoW + Youtube vid + recoding.
    When it's at 46-65%: This is where the sound is more os less a drill.
    When it's at 65-100%: This is where it suddenly has the sound like a computer the needs to run 100%

It is as if the profile doesn't fit the speed..

- - - Updated - - -

You can get it in their website
    Will take a look at it.

Its noise is louder than the % of speed indicates it should. The temperature only becomes a problem when I'm at 20% for an hour or two, then I have to flick it up. Sounds like the RPM's doesn't match the driver % number it handles.

When it's at 20-35%: That is how it should sound on average use.
    When it's at 35-45%: This is where the sound goes all the way up, like only running WoW + Youtube vid + recoding.
    When it's at 46-65%: This is where the sound is more os less a drill.
    When it's at 65-100%: This is where it suddenly has the sound like a computer the needs to run 100%

It is as if the profile doesn't fit the speed..

- - - Updated - - -

Will take a look at it.
    That makes more sense.

Take a look at Speedfan and check how it sounds when you modify the speed there. If the RPM are not matching the real %, you could find a sweet spot where the temps are stable and the fans aren't too noisy.

Also, the card is not too old but it could be possible that the fans are physically damaged (i.e. not rotating properly) and making more noise than they should at the correct speed
    Last edited by ReVnX; 2016-07-13 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    T
    Also, the card is not too old but it could be possible that the fans are physically damaged (i.e. not rotating properly) and making more noise than they should at the correct speed
    Can't be age, I even had a new put in due to the noise.

Can't be age, I even had a new put in due to the noise.
    In that case, let's hope SpeedFan helps

Deleted
    you can also download MSIAfterburner420 and setup a manual fan speed inline with a temp curve. in addition turn on ingame hud with temps/clocks/fanspeed monitoring. and did you check if those drivers are needed for your card? maybe revert back the drivers to a previous version?

mostly those drivers are meant for high-end gfx, with little to no benefit for older cards.
    Last edited by mmocf56dd89877; 2016-07-13 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yabadabadoh View Post
    you can also download MSIAfterburner420 and setup a manual fan speed inline with a temp curve. in addition turn on ingame hud with temps/clocks/fanspeed monitoring. and did you check if those drivers are needed for your card? maybe revert back the drivers to a previous version?

mostly those drivers are meant for high-end gfx, with little to no benefit for older cards.
    Well, AMD are so bright that they use the same driver setup system for all their cards. When I search the card, I get the driver I'm using. 1-2 updates ago, I could run everything on Ultra/Epic.

Just seems weird, can't revert back, for AMD's no. 1 solution is to do a 100% clean wipe, so no previous versions.

Even gotten a HW Monitor to check (sorry, not finding my way around SpeedFan isn't helping). But the HWM scans 20% GPU fan speed to be 749652 RPMs out of the maximum, 753138 RPM's. Never really dwelled in the small parts section, but seems odd that a card that ran more than fine a few months ago, is already out of game.

Well, AMD are so bright that they use the same driver setup system for all their cards. When I search the card, I get the driver I'm using. 1-2 updates ago, I could run everything on Ultra/Epic.

Just seems weird, can't revert back, for AMD's no. 1 solution is to do a 100% clean wipe, so no previous versions.

Even gotten a HW Monitor to check (sorry, not finding my way around SpeedFan isn't helping). But the HWM scans 20% GPU fan speed to be 749652 RPMs out of the maximum, 753138 RPM's. Never really dwelled in the small parts section, but seems odd that a card that ran more than fine a few months ago, is already out of game.
    I find it hard to believe that a R7 240 was running on Ultra/Epic. If it was, you likely ruined the card running it that way for too long. R7=Not meant for gaming. R9=Gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a R7 240 was running on Ultra/Epic. If it was, you likely ruined the card running it that way for too long. R7=Not meant for gaming. R9=Gaming.
    It has been running WoW on ultra with no side effect, running Overwatch on epic with no side effect. Within the last 2-3 months, the card just became really noisy. I'm even sitting with a brand new card, and still does so.

It has been running WoW on ultra with no side effect, running Overwatch on epic with no side effect. Within the last 2-3 months, the card just became really noisy. I'm even sitting with a brand new card, and still does so.
    No side effect? Umm, the side effect is you have ruined the card, or the fans on the card, because it was working overtime running at settings it was not really meant to. Seriously, it's an R7, meaning NOT A CARD FOR GAMING. Running it at those settings was torturing it. You torture something and it may run fine for a little while, but it's gonna break down.

Also, I am kinda confused, because you say it started doing this over the past 2-3 months then say it's brand new? Which is it? A few months old or brand new?

That's actually impressive for a R7 240.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No side effect? Umm, the side effect is you have ruined the card, or the fans on the card, because it was working overtime running at settings it was not really meant to. Seriously, it's an R7, meaning NOT A CARD FOR GAMING. Running it at those settings was torturing it. You torture something and it may run fine for a little while, but it's gonna break down.

Also, I am kinda confused, because you say it started doing this over the past 2-3 months then say it's brand new? Which is it? A few months old or brand new?
    Guess you didn't read the whole OP. There was a replacement, previous card had been running fine for about 9-12 months, then this. Then repair and a new card, but new card showing the same symptoms as soon as the newest driver was installed. Even before games was launched.

Deleted
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2010%20-%2064

i'd suggest you download the 15.12 version. before installing> http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/dow...0v16.0.0.4.exe
    first deinstall all amd software in windows then run this program as admin > reboot to safemode and clear all files. after that install the old drivers.

are you running hybrid graphics with the APU?
    Last edited by mmocf56dd89877; 2016-07-13 at 11:02 PM.