10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.

DK Creating Grip Macro in Beta

Unholy Death Knights in Legion can talent into an Abomination pet whose Leap ability is exchanged for an effect to throw a Hook at an enemy to pull them to you. I decided that while I'm talented into him for his other benefits, I'd try to make a macro that would essentially grant me two charges of Death Grip.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence [talent:4/1] reset=mod/ctrl/alt/25 Death Grip, Hook; Death Grip
    Theoretically it's fairly simple - cast Death Grip, if you want a Grip before it's off cooldown then cast Hook and cycle back to the beginning, and if you don't cast Hook by the time Death Grip's off cooldown then it resets. This sort of logic would work precisely as intended on Live.

The problem is, Beta's... buggy. Currently, castsequence macros don't work as intended; if you cast the last ability in the sequence, it will not cycle back to the beginning and continues to offer the last ability in the chain until a reset condition is met. Meaning, if you cast Hook ten seconds after casting Death Grip, it will continue to show Hook until you leave the macro alone for 25 seconds - even if Death Grip has come off cooldown before then. Death Grip->Hook->Hook->etc.

I've reported this issue already and I expect this macro will work properly by the time it hits live, but I'm presently looking for a functional workaround until this gets fixed.

So what I'm wondering, is if there's a way to - in addition to the existing functionality - force it to check that Hook has gone on cooldown and then reset the macro from there...?
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-07-13 at 06:14 AM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    So what I'm wondering, is if there's a way to - in addition to the existing functionality - force it to check that Hook has gone on cooldown and then reset the macro from there...?
    No, because this is called automation, and its the reason these limitations are in place. Its your job to manage your cooldowns, not a macro. There used to be a way to cycle through spells on CD which involved a bunch of zeros but its a bannable offense.
    Last edited by magicaldandruff; 2016-07-13 at 07:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magicaldandruff View Post
    No, because this is called automation, and its the reason these limitations are in place. Its your job to manage your cooldowns, not a macro.
    ... So there's no way to make a macro just cycle between two abilities, even though that's exactly what castsequence macros are for.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

The scenarios you described for both LIVE and on Beta are one and the same. Its functioning as intended.

Live= You pressed the macro for Death grip, the count starts from 25. You leave it alone for 25 seconds. It resets.
    Beta= You pressed the macro for Death grip, the count starts from 25. You press the macro again for Hook, the timer resets to 25.

That is the whole point of the reset=N conditional. You would have to use your alt/ctrl conditionals for the castsequence to manually reset earlier than the 25 seconds.

If by "cycle" you mean just casting one after the other repeatedly, you would just leave out the reset conditionals. If you mean cast one if the other is on CD, that is impossible. If a spell cannot be cast, the sequence doesn't advance.

I think the original purpose of /castsequence was for casting spells in rapid succession, not to cast certain ones under specific conditions.
    Last edited by magicaldandruff; 2016-07-13 at 08:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magicaldandruff View Post
    The scenarios you described for both LIVE and on Beta are one and the same. Its functioning as intended.

Live= You pressed the macro for Death grip, the count starts from 25. You leave it alone for 25 seconds. It resets.
    Beta= You pressed the macro for Death grip, the count starts from 25. You press the macro again for Hook, the timer resets to 25.

If by "cycle" you mean just casting one after the other repeatedly, you would just leave out the reset conditionals.
    ... no, actually.

If I make a simple macro on live to cycle from Plague Strike to Icy Touch to Blood Boil, it will cast PS->IT->BB->PS->IT->BB->repeat for as long as I tap the button. Hell, it's generally smart enough to move to the next ability if I cast the next ability in the sequence without using the macro.

In beta, the problem is that it gets caught on the last ability in the sequence: PS->IT->BB->BB->BB->BB, etc. until a reset condition is fulfilled.
    Believe me, I've tried without the reset conditionals, it just gets frozen on the last ability forever (or until I edit the macro, anyway). As I said in the OP, I'm looking for any potential workarounds to reinforce exactly the logic it's already supposed to have, a way to use the reset conditional to cycle back to the beginning of the sequence once the last ability is cast; in this case, the abilities just happen to have cooldowns that could be used as alternative signals.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-07-13 at 10:31 PM.