Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Plea is a great spell when on the move - I even use it in raids and it's much better in dungeons where you never have more than 4 atonements up when you cast Plea.

In a dungeon when you're done with one trash mob and moving to the next mob, Atone the DPS with Plea while running, and use PWS on the tank. Then when you get to the next mob, Penance > Smite (or Schism > Penance > Smite) to heal the entire party.

Healers think a lot about healing *during* encounters, but it's important in dungeons to also think about healing *between* encounters.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2016-08-18 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I other words: when mobs die in 2-3 gcds, you can't smite shit. I second this, tried disc in a levelup dungeon and it was beyond clunky and poor, mostly because the targets fall too fast.
    The first page of the Disc Priest Guide (stickied) has some awesome macros for tab targeting to an enemy if you're in combat. They're great for situations like you mentioned, where targets are dying in 5-10 seconds.

Or you can use this general purpose macro for all of your offensive spells.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Smite
    /cast [harm][@focus, harm][@focustarget, harm][@targettarget, harm] Smite

Set the tank as focus and never worry about having to target enemies ever again, because all of your damage spells will automatically assist the tank.

Play disc like every other healer and use the party interface only. (except for multi-dotting obviously)

10+ Year Old Account
    is there any shadow priest discord channel?

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    is there any shadow priest discord channel?
    Yes Here
    If that link doesn't work just go to h2p and click connect on discord.

7+ Year Old Account
    Idk if this is the appropriate place to post this but I would love a guide on the priest order hall specifically. The general ones out there for order halls don't account for unique follower abilities or research perks.

For the most part the perks don't really matter, just as long as you're on top of them and always have it on CD. I would recommend the 30% chance for Zealots over the abysmal 5% off of acolytes, it's been working great for me.

As for the other ones, up to you, will have minimal impact.

As far as follower abilities, I personally don't feel a need to min/max my team as in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, and it's not hard to manage 6 followers and 5 minions over 8-12 hours.

Wowhead has a general guide that I know of that you can find on their front page though, if that'll help.

7+ Year Old Account
    Appreciate the tips. I guess I'm just salty that I ran two shadow, 2 disc, and one holy follower and have been getting predominantly holy missions. lol. Glad to know I made the right choice on the zealots perk though hah

Quote Originally Posted by Ifritx View Post
    Appreciate the tips. I guess I'm just salty that I ran two shadow, 2 disc, and one holy follower and have been getting predominantly holy missions. lol. Glad to know I made the right choice on the zealots perk though hah
    Yeah I've found missions are completely rng. It's happened to me a few times. Thankfully missions are up for a couple days so you have time to compete them all. App really helps too.

updated my faq with more current answers
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

One element of a competitor wow info website that I liked when it existed a few xpacs ago, was a raid guide from a spec perspective boss by boss. In other words, for Shadow as an example, have a guide boss by boss for EN (and future raids) that gives the fight strategy from a Shadow perspective and/or tips and tricks to the fight. I.e. "I like to switch to this talent for this fight", "be sure to dot up this add as soon as it appears", "You can xxx in this fight to yyy", "this trinket setup is best for this fight",etc.

Granted, switching talents per fights isn't quite as common as it was last xpac, and much of the info can be found in the general boss guides (i.e. focus on this add and let melee focus on the other add), but I still think it would be helpful for a spec to have a guide they pull up that helps tell them what THEY specifically should do or be aware of for this fight as spec xyz.
    Last edited by Thaylen; 2016-10-25 at 06:32 PM.

Well that's something i plan on doing eventually, just been busy unfortuantely. Video thread is a good place though.

My ADHD doesn't synch well with videos, lol. I can't glean anything from them because within the first 10 seconds my attention is elsewhere. I try to to watch them for boss fight strats, but doesn't work unless I rewind multiple times. The bulk of any research I do comes from the I-V guides and/or other written guides.

Oh didn't realize you were talking about a written guide, that sounds like a video guide. That's much easier to do. We've had threads like that in the past, but only real reason there hasn't been one now is you handle every boss essentially the same. maintain dots, do rotation, pop StM 125s before the end of the fight.

DISC vs HOLY

Whether you're a shadow priest main wondering what to use as your off spec, if you're thinking of rerolling a priest, or you just hit max level after a 5 year break and have no idea what spec to play, this comparison is for you.

Holy
    • Easy to learn
    • Straight forward healing toolkit
    • Good reactive healing
    • Low Risk/Reward (mistakes are far less punishing than for disc)
    • Low loot competition (Mastery>Crit is only shared with Arcane Mages, which you nearly never see atm).
    • Can't really use shadow gear effectively
    • Much more likely to be accepted in pugs and casual guilds
    • Poor utility (standard raid healing cd, non-DR tank cd, minimal mobility and cc)

Disc
    • Harder to learn
    • More complex (requires gameplay aspects of both a DPS and healer)
    • Proactive healing required (carefully watching timers, planning cooldowns, spreading atonements before damage, etc)
    • Still a full, 100% healer (check my Disc FAQ for more information on this)
    • High Risk/Reward (a well played disc is very strong, poor played disc is very trash, mistakes can cost a LOT of hps and even cause wipes, as your raid may be relying on your 'burst' in place of a traditional healing cooldown)
    • Higher loot competition (Haste>crit for 5mans (still decent in raids), which competes with Frost, Fire, Demo, Destro and Shadow. However, Haste>mast for raid healing is a little less competitive)
    • Can use shadow gear effectively (especially for 5man healing)
    • Can have a bad reputation in pugs and casual guilds (and 'tryhard' guilds*)
    • More valuable utility than holy (burst AoE on par with a full raid cooldown, decent dps contribution, strong DR cooldowns, some limited absorbs, still has minimal mobility and CC)
    • Very strong in pvp (and much easier than Disc pve healing too)

*"tryhard" guilds are guilds with 'casual' skills, a 'hardcore' mentality and a very toxic culture, who try to use the same strats and raid composition that the world first guild did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Oh didn't realize you were talking about a written guide, that sounds like a video guide. That's much easier to do. We've had threads like that in the past, but only real reason there hasn't been one now is you handle every boss essentially the same. maintain dots, do rotation, pop StM 125s before the end of the fight.
    It's the details that are far more important, and I'm certain that those aren't the same from boss to boss, they never are. Things like where to stand to avoid excessive movement in a particular phase, which adds are/aren't worth dotting, if there are times when you should let voidform drop early to sync it better with a particular phase, cooldown or mechanic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    It's the details that are far more important, and I'm certain that those aren't the same from boss to boss, they never are. Things like where to stand to avoid excessive movement in a particular phase, which adds are/aren't worth dotting, if there are times when you should let voidform drop early to sync it better with a particular phase, cooldown or mechanic, etc.
    That depends largely on your raid comp too though. For example, the the adds on Renferal. Ideally you want to dot then sear them, however some guilds don't want you to do that because they go haywire with threat if you fade and someone else has threat other than the tank and tanks struggle to get threat back immediately and then they die and leave poison puddles in the middle of the room. On the other hand some guilds don't care so you can just dot to your hearts content. I mean it's pretty advised to not dot stuff that won't live like 7 seconds since it's not worth it and just better to snipe with SW: D to proc ToF.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    That depends largely on your raid comp too though. For example, the the adds on Renferal. Ideally you want to dot then sear them, however some guilds don't want you to do that because they go haywire with threat if you fade and someone else has threat other than the tank and tanks struggle to get threat back immediately and then they die and leave poison puddles in the middle of the room. On the other hand some guilds don't care so you can just dot to your hearts content. I mean it's pretty advised to not dot stuff that won't live like 7 seconds since it's not worth it and just better to snipe with SW: D to proc ToF.
    Yeah, so see there is plenty of stuff you could go into on a boss-by-boss guide

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement View Post
    Yeah, so see there is plenty of stuff you could go into on a boss-by-boss guide
    I mean sure but it mostly depends completely on comp.

Awesome to see what you guys are planning and I think those sound like sufficient stickies .

Quote Originally Posted by Thaylen View Post
    One element of a competitor wow info website that I liked when it existed a few xpacs ago, was a raid guide from a spec perspective boss by boss. In other words, for Shadow as an example, have a guide boss by boss for EN (and future raids) that gives the fight strategy from a Shadow perspective and/or tips and tricks to the fight. I.e. "I like to switch to this talent for this fight", "be sure to dot up this add as soon as it appears", "You can xxx in this fight to yyy", "this trinket setup is best for this fight",etc.

Granted, switching talents per fights isn't quite as common as it was last xpac, and much of the info can be found in the general boss guides (i.e. focus on this add and let melee focus on the other add), but I still think it would be helpful for a spec to have a guide they pull up that helps tell them what THEY specifically should do or be aware of for this fight as spec xyz.
    I'm going to bump this request again because now more than ever I'd love to see what people feel the best talent setup for each NH boss is.