11 years in WoW, around 2 hours priest - legion priest?

hey there guys, old player here rolling through azeroth since a very long time, all the time i never saw a reason to play priest - shadow was kinda the "child" of warlock and arcane mage, holy priest was behind shamans (to me) in utility, disc was never my kind of playstyle (when healing, i enjoy to heal a lot and direct) and thanks to that, i never really had any drive that told me "hey, roll priest!"

i kinda got gametime to maxlevel on every single class next to priest, i really loved warrior (classic/bc), warlock (mainly affliction and demon) from wotlk to mop and then in MoP/WoD i played a lot of healing sham, after inactivity in the end of expansion i read about the shadow-changes (kinda like "i want to know all the new, even for priest") and... wow... blizzards changes made shadowpriest INSANE (ha!) good (on paper) looking, first time in WoW i totally wanted to be a priest and then i begun to read about spriests "history" in past expansions, about the opinions on legion spriest and most i read was.. kinda.. "confusing"

tl;dr - never played priest, never liked priest, legion changed that massive

the feedback i read is mostly negative and that bother me, most classes next to pala and priest are hyped af and players seem to be very happy - why not priests? whats so wrong with shadowpriest for you old priestplayers? i would like to see the opinions of some experienced shadows around here, why do you dislike the legion-shadow? i hope to see some helpful comments, opinions and that i get decent answers on questions

Deleted
    For shadow - he's shitty at everything that is not long single target fights. For me crucial point for reroling from priest to warlock was massive time i will be spending in dungeons in Legion, where priest is beyond shit. But i planning playing priest as my only alt, in holy tho

Quote Originally Posted by blgns View Post
    For shadow - he's shitty at everything that is not long single target fights. For me crucial point for reroling from priest to warlock was massive time i will be spending in dungeons in Legion, where priest is beyond shit. But i planning playing priest as my only alt, in holy tho
    Exactly this. Only difference is that I will be going holy priest as main spec in Legion.

Aside from the limitations of shadow, I simply dislike the void/insanity mechanic. To each his/her own, as I'm sure many will love it. I just grew tired in WoD of only being able to doing one thing well...yes, long single target fight are our strong point. Unfortunately so much of the game requires *other things* - where, unfortunately shadow was lacking in WoD and appears to be the same case for Legion. I'm not even going to get started on why it's a terrible design in PVP.

i really wonder how blizzard managed to piss off so many priests friends saying the same sadly - shadow seem to be good (to very good) in singletarget-fights without movement and suck in both movement and ae in other fights, which means they will suck for like 95% of content

Quote Originally Posted by blgns View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but Warlocks are no better than Priests for dungeons, dude.
    Demonology and Affliction ramp up times are incredibly high, Destruction is the only viable option, but they only really shine on cleaving.

If you're aiming for Mythic+ dungeons as your main source of PvE content, Warlocks might not be your best option.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Mericat View Post
    the feedback i read is mostly negative and that bother me, most classes next to pala and priest are hyped af and players seem to be very happy - why not priests? whats so wrong with shadowpriest for you old priestplayers? i would like to see the opinions of some experienced shadows around here, why do you dislike the legion-shadow? i hope to see some helpful comments, opinions and that i get decent answers on questions
    As I said already in a shadow priest in legion thread, shadow priest has absolutely awesome class design - for World of Warcraft from 2004. In 2016, as a class it lacks everything a real damage dealer must have to fit into a modern encounters design, such as: good on-demand burst aoe, good passive cleave which does not require 30 seconds to set up, mobility, survivability, utility, and to some extent reliable CC. So, as a result, we're equal to other damage dealers only in council fights, which are usually no more than 3 (three) per expansion. In any other situation your group would better take any other damage dealing spec.

That, and also half-assed, lazy, unfinished and bad class mechanics, including:

- It has only one lvl100 talent, which requires players to die on purpose, thus you have to throw away more money on food, and more time to re-eat food after every boss defeated. It has no gameplay variety in talents overall, since all talents are about dots, insanity generation or void form.
    - Its artifact weapon, while being cool in lore, locks us with second worst visual weapon type - dagger (first is fist, lol).
    - It has only one real golden trait in artifact weapon. Other two are so much underwhelming that some passive damage increasing traits are better than them.
    - Its class hall is absolutely underwhelming - compare it to rogues one or to hunters one, if you wish to know what I mean.
    - It has to waste a ton of artifact power into useless traits to be able to get to useless golden traits.
    - Its leveling in legion is possibly the worst leveling experience I've ever had (due to nonexistent mobility and very low damage and survivability), including first time leveling a holy priest from scratch in BC. Comparing that to a leveling of an affliction lock of a mage is just laughable.
    - Overall gameplay is too gcd-locked and unforgivable, with zero room for error.

Also, I never created my priest character to be an insane idiot dabbling in old god powers.

We currently have only one as bad as shadow priest spec - ele shammy - and that spec has a possibility to reroll into absolutely amazing enhancement spec. Enhancement is a prime example of how Blizzard can work when they want to. Shadow is a prime example of how Blizzard don't give a flying fuck over some specs.
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-07-17 at 04:50 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Also, I never created my priest character to be an insane idiot dabbling in old god powers.
    This so fucking much

I like the old gods lore, but shadow priest has no real reason to be apart of it.

I too have been playing Spriest since Vanilla, and the legion changes with the long ramp up aren't my cup of tea either. They weren't so bad until they made void form a cast that can easily be kicked in pvp. Don't get me started on disc lol, I've healed disc both pve and pvp since BC. I always have enjoyed it over holy until legion. ( To me ) it feels like a dps spec that just happens to heal while your doing dmg. The better you hit your so called dmg rotation the more you heal. Its not for me, when I play a healing spec I want to heal, not do some sort of 2ndary healing through my dps.

I do however like the changes to holy finally after 8 years of playing Disc. No more stance dancing with chakra which to me killed the spec. I don't think priests are in a terrible spot but Shadow is deff not where I want it to be in pvp. Since shadow is my primary pvp spec and class. I will 90 % sure be a main spec holy only most of legion unless something changes.

-Nem

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You can do some pretty crazy DPS on boss fights (you can cast while moving when StM is active). For trash pulls, I multidot, and off heal. Mind Sear could use a buff. Shadow Mend/Bubble is pretty nice for helping out the healer in Dungeons.
    Off dotting and healing aren't things I want to have to do to feel useful in a DPS spec. I mean would it bee too much to ask for a little bit of help in the cleave/AoE department, so we're not forced into having to heal to provide slightly useful GCDs to the team? I'm dreading the fights where I'll be called on to swap to Shadow....I'll do it, and to the best of my ability, but the redesign leaves so many holes in game play even if it is a new fresh coat of paint.

3 targets cleave with legendary ring and 4pc bonus is bonkers!

p.s.: are tuning passes on hold?