GTX 770 4GB vs GTX 970

How big of a difference there is between the two mentioned video cards? Is it worth upgrading to the GTX 970 now that its price dropped?
    And if I do upgrade which CPU would pair well with the GTX 970 (have an i5-3340 atm)?
    Last edited by stahpityou; 2016-07-15 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stahpityou View Post
    How big of a difference there is between the two mentioned video cards? Is it worth upgrading to the GTX 970 now that its price dropped?
    And if I do upgrade which CPU would pair well with the GTX 970 (have an i5-3340 atm)?
    Please wait for the 1060. It's rumored to be around $250 and will be faster than a 980.
    Also I'd suggest getting an i5 2500K and OCing it to 4.5 GHZ

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    It's rumored to be around $250 and will be faster than a 980.
    No, it won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    No, it won't.
    Maybe not in DX11 but I think it might take a slight edge in DX12. Although the performance between the two would be close.

It might not be faster than a 980, but it will sure as hell be on-par. Also for about $250? I'm sold, but I'm going for the 1070 as soon as I can. c:

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Please wait for the 1060. It's rumored to be around $250 and will be faster than a 980.
    Also I'd suggest getting an i5 2500K and OCing it to 4.5 GHZ
    It's on level with a 980, but that's still very good considering the price.

Is the i5- 2500K worth getting if I don't wanna overclock it? I mean I really am a noob at PC hardware knowledge and stuff so I have no idea how to overclock or what kinda cooling system do I need for that so I'd rather just go with a CPU that I don't have to overclock. Also I have an Asus P8 H77-V LE motherboard so whichever video card I get (gtx 980/gtx 1060), I'll most likely need to get a new motherboard as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    No, it won't.
    Nvidia announced it as 'GTX 980 level performance', just like they announced 1070 as 'Titan X level performance'. Since 1070 is (in most cases) about 5% faster than Titan X it is reasonable to assume the same goes for 1060 vs. GTX 980.
    And due to the new 16nm process shouldn't it be better at overclocking, too?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the i5- 2500K worth getting if I don't wanna overclock it? I mean I really am a noob at PC hardware knowledge and stuff so I have no idea how to overclock or what kinda cooling system do I need for that so I'd rather just go with a CPU that I don't have to overclock. Also I have an Asus P8 H77-V LE motherboard so whichever video card I get (gtx 980/gtx 1060), I'll most likely need to get a new motherboard as well right?
    If you're not gonna overclock it, than no.
    I'm still using the 2500k and am quite happy with it, but i'm running it at 4,7GHz, which is a significant speed increase over the stock 3,3GHz.
    Last edited by coprax; 2016-07-15 at 06:55 PM.

In any case, the 970 is way better than the 770.

It's probably worth getting a 1060 of course but thats if you can wait and the 1070 and 1080 has hade be hard to get your hands on as Nvidia aren't able to produce enough of them yet. Same might be true for the 1060.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me how much you're willing to pay, and I'll tell you how fast you can go. You're better off with the 1060 instead of the 970, unless they do end up being $300. If the 1060's are $300, then you get a RX 480.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-07-15 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Tell me how much you're willing to pay, and I'll tell you how fast you can go. You're better off with the 1060 instead of the 970, unless they do end up being $300. If the 1060's are $300, then you get a RX 480.
    I've been looking at the 1070 but some pointed out that if I only wanna play in 1080p and not 1440 than it is an overkill for me. I am not planning to buy a new monitor (samsung s22c300 is the one I currently have) and 1080p is good enough for me.
    I just wanna replace my gtx 770 and my CPU, one that matches the strength of the new card (idk if having a balance between the CPU and the video card is a thing).
    Plus if I have to get a new motherboard for these new components (Asus P8 H77-V LE is what I currently have). I was thinking about a 600$ budget but I can go higher.

Whatever you do please do not get a RX 480. There are reports that it's actually melting PCI slots because of it's intense power draw, you're much much better of with a 1060 and it'll be a bout 15-20% faster than the RX 480, even if it is $300.

EDIT: Get yourself a 1070, even if you play on 1080p. I play on 1080p as well, and I'm getting a 1070 too. I'll be able to flawlessly max out AAA titles (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3) and not have to worry about anything. 1080p still looks gorgeous c:

2nd EDIT: before I get AMD-Fan boid - http://en.yibada.com/articles/141122...nvidia-gtx.htm
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2016-07-15 at 08:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been looking at the 1070 but some pointed out that if I only wanna play in 1080p and not 1440 than it is an overkill for me. I am not planning to buy a new monitor (samsung s22c300 is the one I currently have) and 1080p is good enough for me.
    I just wanna replace my gtx 770 and my CPU, one that matches the strength of the new card (idk if having a balance between the CPU and the video card is a thing).
    Plus if I have to get a new motherboard for these new components (Asus P8 H77-V LE is what I currently have). I was thinking about a 600$ budget but I can go higher.
    The i5-3340 is OK for now, unless you do end up buying a 1070. For a 1060 or RX 480, it's fine for now, plus you can always upgrade it later if you wish. I wouldn't go by 1080p cause games do get more demanding over time. Get what you can afford, but not a GTX 970. It's too old and really doesn't have 4GB of memory.

Like I said, tell me how much you want to pay, and I'll tell you how fast you can go.

Whatever you do please do not get a RX 480. There are reports that it's actually melting PCI slots because of it's intense power draw, you're much much better of with a 1060 and it'll be a bout 15-20% faster than the RX 480, even if it is $300.
    #1 The PCIE power thing was fixed with newest driver updates.
    #2 The blown motherboards were in poor questionable condition. Like spilled drinks condition.
    #3 The 1060 isn't even out yet, and we don't have benchmarks either.
    #4 Nvidia claimed 10%-15% faster, and they're biased.
    #5 I wouldn't encourage Founders Your Wallet Edition prices.

The i5-3340 is OK for now, unless you do end up buying a 1070. For a 1060 or RX 480, it's fine for now, plus you can always upgrade it later if you wish. I wouldn't go by 1080p cause games do get more demanding over time. Get what you can afford, but not a GTX 970. It's too old and really doesn't have 4GB of memory.

Like I said, tell me how much you want to pay, and I'll tell you how fast you can go.

#1 The PCIE power thing was fixed with newest driver updates.
    #2 The blown motherboards were in poor questionable condition. Like spilled drinks condition.
    #3 The 1060 isn't even out yet, and we don't have benchmarks either.
    #4 Nvidia claimed 10%-15% faster, and they're biased.
    #5 I wouldn't encourage Founders Your Wallet Edition prices.
    Well the higher version of the 1060 (6 GB version) releases on July 19th for $249. I sincerely hope he picks the 1060 over the 480 X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the higher version of the 1060 (6 GB version) releases on July 19th for $249. I sincerely hope he picks the 1060 over the 480 X.
    I sincerely hope you wait for benchmarks to be released before claiming a winner. Especially with the new benchmarks like Doom Vulkan, Rise of the Tomb Raider with Async Compute, and the new 3DMark Time Spy. Poor timing for Nvidia to have the 1060 release with these new benchmarks that just came out. July 19th isn't that far off.

I wanna spend around 600$ on all my upgrades which consist of the new video card, the if necessary CPU and the if necessary motherboard. Can go higher though.
    The one thing I'm sure of is that I wanna stick with Nvidia and I'm not in a rush with this upgrade so for sure will wait for the 1060 and benchmarks to be released.

I might end up getting the 1070 just for the sake of future games and if I do what CPU would go well with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna spend around 600$ on all my upgrades which consist of the new video card, the if necessary CPU and the if necessary motherboard. Can go higher though.
    The one thing I'm sure of is that I wanna stick with Nvidia and I'm not in a rush with this upgrade so for sure will wait for the 1060 and benchmarks to be released.

I might end up getting the 1070 just for the sake of future games and if I do what CPU would go well with it?
    Then wait for the 1070's to drop to normal prices. A 1060 would be an upgrade for you but wait for the 1070's to drop. The CPU would limit your performance with the 1070, but I'd wait for a big sale like on motherboard+CPU combo.