Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Oh look Asia won!
    Asian-Americans. We know you Europeans don't like integrating those brown people, hence your little problem yesterday.

But these lads are as American as McDonalds, Baseball and shooting up the old busted-ass dryer sitting in your backyard.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2016-07-15 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Asian-Americans. We know you Europeans don't like integrating those brown people, hence your little problem yesterday.
    Bro.. too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I like how they treat this like a victory for American standards when it's virtually certain all of them went to private schools far above any public school, let alone the average public school.
    I think you underestimate the quality of public high school in the U.S. I’ll bet you at least one of them attend public high school.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    The non-asian one.
    He had to work the hardest though!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i see three asian americans on the team. gotta fight fire with fire.
    You do know that they could have a white parent right?, and might have been born and raised in America. I have cousins that are half-Filipino, and half-white, but you wouldn't know they had white in them if you saw them. The only thing Filipino about them is the food they like, and their skin color/physical appearance of course. #3 looks pretty damn similar to one of them actually. #1 also looks similar, but it's a bit harder to tell with his shades on.
    Last edited by muto; 2016-07-15 at 09:15 PM.

I like how they treat this like a victory for American standards when it's virtually certain all of them went to private schools far above any public school, let alone the average public school.

Hmmm, private schools out performing public schools...shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    And the world mocks our American measurements! Your 'easy to use' metric system has made you weak!
    All that multiplying and dividing by 10's turns your brain to mush.

Converting gills to acre feet strengthens the mind.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So Asian! great job though guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I think you underestimate the quality of public high school in the U.S. I’ll bet you at least one of them attend public high school.
    Thomas Jefferson High School in Fairfax County is a public school gated by essentially an IQ test. Everyone who goes there automatically gets into UVA, most go to Ivy's or similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post

But these lads are as American as McDonalds, Baseball and shooting up the old busted-ass dryer sitting in your backyard.
    Actually, Americans won. This "fill in the blank"-American shit has gone way too far.

even if it becomes more widely accepted in america, i'll just never think of them as asians. asians = epicanthal fold, unless it's native americans.
    Labeling humans by continent is fucking stupid in all cases. That is why it's confusing. Charlize Theron is African American as a point of fact. Please stop doing this, world.

Deleted
    Expected to see various types of Asian and maybe some white guys that look like Bill Gates

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    If the Indian sub-continent isn't in Asia, where is it?
    that'd be part of the region i'd consider middle east.

10+ Year Old Account
    China: We got this shit!
    America: Think again.
    China: Well....shit.

i see three asian americans on the team. gotta fight fire with fire.
    I count 5...

India, with Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Maldives are all considered part of the Asian subcontinent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Expected to see various types of Asian and maybe some white guys that look like Bill Gates

Yep
    In 2015 it was 3 Asians and 3 white guys that look like Bill Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    All that multiplying and dividing by 10's turns your brain to mush.

Converting gills to acre feet strengthens the mind.
    try figuring out surface acreage

Which is on what continent?

you need to bust out a map or a globe friend

Thomas Jefferson is pretty fuckin' good. Quite a few schools are.

I don't think there's any real evidence that talent on this level is the sort of thing that comes from just getting a good school system, so I guess agree with your basic point. Anyone that either touts or takes shots at a system based on its best performers doesn't really get how any of this works.

Yeah, I mean that too. I just wasn't going to bother going that far because I felt the point was made. If they had randomly selected 50 students from all schools nationwide or something, that would be a bit more meaningful in that regard.
    That's pretty much PISA. PISA data looks about how I'd expect it to across countries. Getting more granular in the US, Asian-Americans are at the top of the scale along with Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Good Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. So basically the same thing we find in this competition.

I guess that shouldn't be too surprising either - even though top performers don't tell you much about a system, you'd expect to find the very top performers, on average, to come from among a group that has a high average score, unless you have a good reason to expect a lower group to have a really wide SD.

What most people outside the US don't understand is that if you pay top dollar you likely get some of the best education on the planet. If you are just shuffled though the public or lower level paid systems then you are just taught enough to fight in the military and work entry level potions up to the limit of middle management (if the right people like you).