Poll: And?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I got a pretty well known example, actually. What Jesus was arrested for. The guy never hurt a fly, but by calling himself a king he began spreading a belief that might undermine the power and authority of the Emperor, thus hurting Roman society.
    So you're in favor of crucifying Jesus for claiming he was a king?

I'm not, I think he deserved a freedom of speech, and I don't see the harm in him claiming to be a king - the power of Rome was self-evident - they had no need to be intimidated by a dude in rags preaching to the poor about how they should not be shitty to one another.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Public Nudity would be my choice...

Marijuana ofc as it's one of the most stupid things we ever made illegal. Prostitution would be a very close second, I'd want it regulated though. (With safety in mind for the people wanting to sell sex.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    So you're in favor of crucifying Jesus for claiming he was a king?

I'm not, I think he deserved a freedom of speech, and I don't see the harm in him claiming to be a king - the power of Rome was self-evident - they had no need to be intimidated by a dude in rags preaching to the poor about how they should not be shitty to one another.
    Well, the thing was that he actually had enough followers to pose a threat at the time. Judaism was widespread before Rome even came, and the idea that they might find a higher authority than the emperor was dangerous. Rome could easily quash a Jewish rebellion spearheaded by Jesus, but it would be bloody. They could simply cut the head off the snake before it grew big enough to bite. That didn't really work out to well, though, but their logic was sound.

In short, cultural threats are just as valid as physical ones. It's also my main reason for sticking with the ban on recreational marijuana in America. Widespread legalization would send American culture to a very bad place. Especially since so many people are doing it despite the law. It sends the message that if you ignore authority for long enough they will just let you do what you want.

Deleted
    Regulate Marijuana and Prostitution. Tax it heavily. Profit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, the thing was that he actually had enough followers to pose a threat at the time. Judaism was widespread before Rome even came, and the idea that they might find a higher authority than the emperor was dangerous. Rome could easily quash a Jewish rebellion spearheaded by Jesus, but it would be bloody. They could simply cut the head off the snake before it grew big enough to bite. That didn't really work out to well, though, but their logic was sound.

In short, cultural threats are just as valid as physical ones. It's also my main reason for sticking with the ban on recreational marijuana in America. Widespread legalization would send American culture to a very bad place. Especially since so many people are doing it despite the law. It sends the message that if you ignore authority for long enough they will just let you do what you want.
    Rome faced no threat from the Christians or Jews, least of all the Christians led by the guy preaching "turn the other cheek" and “Put thy sword in its place, for those who take the sword, will perish by the sword" - the odds of bloody insurrection had a 0% chance of success - demonstrated by the three times the jews tried to just reclaim sovereignty in Judea (which would only piss off the roman empire): all failed horribly.

I think you're making a stronger argument to crucify stoners (to set an example), than you are that legalizing activities (marijuana, prostitution, etc) pose a moral hazard to the fabric of our society. A nebulous threat that if we do it, everything will be different and worse - an argument straight out of Reefer Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    As title says. Which of these illegal things would you make legal if you were leader of the world? Public Poll. Remember, "people" come to this site and take data. Choose wisely.

By other I mean rape, hard drugs such as crack cocaine, heroin and other drugs and everything that is NSFW or any situation and is extremely obvious and creepy as fuck that shouldn't be mentioned.

So Heroin should remain illegal because it's obvious, but murder and assault&battery should be made legal?

What the fuck logic is this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Rome faced no threat from the Christians or Jews, least of all the Christians led by the guy preaching "turn the other cheek" and “Put thy sword in its place, for those who take the sword, will perish by the sword" - the odds of bloody insurrection had a 0% chance of success - demonstrated by the three times the jews tried to just reclaim sovereignty in Judea (which would only piss off the roman empire): all failed horribly.

I think you're making a stronger argument to crucify stoners (to set an example), than you are that legalizing activities (marijuana, prostitution, etc) pose a moral hazard to the fabric of our society. A nebulous threat that if we do it, everything will be different and worse - an argument straight out of Reefer Madness.
    I didn't say it would be a violent revolution. The spread of a religion that preaches the existence of a King of Kings is very, very dangerous to an empire that revolves around worship of a divine emperor. Much like the legalization of the drug of choice for rebelling against "the man" would be very, very dangerous to a nation that currently thinks cops are murders and people who have more than $1 Million are evil incarnate.

Speeding. I'd still make exceptions for certain areas like school zones and parking lots (you'd still get in trouble if you decided to drive like 100 through a hospital parking lot, for example).

But the whole concept of speed traps would pretty much go away. No more of this "Roscoe P. Coletrane hiding in the bushes right where the speed limit changes from 45 to 40" bullshit.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-07-19 at 12:46 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weed, Religious Discrimination, Fireworks (in my country)

10+ Year Old Account
    where the fuck is swearing illegal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Human experimentation

15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say it would be a violent revolution. The spread of a religion that preaches the existence of a King of Kings is very, very dangerous to an empire that revolves around worship of a divine emperor.
    I wouldn't say it revolved around it, Caesar was greatly honored in Rome - not unusual for a new tyrant mixing things up - and regarding the ruler as king (a title with an inherent divinity to it) was standard practice in the eastern empire - so any divinity there could easily be a translation issue more than anything. Part of the way they sold the capture of Egypt to the Egyptian people (the Pharaoh herself being a god) was to claim that her roman captors were also gods.

Put all that together and you have the eastern provinces using the same terminology as they are used to - to refer to a dude who has absolute power (a king), you have Egypt (the wealthiest province and the source of much of the empires food) actively proclaiming them as gods to preserve the integrity of their religion / the divinity of Cleopatra, and you have Caesar crossing the Rubicon, becoming a tyrant, and needing to make himself seem larger than life to buttress the appearance of being unassailable (not simply a man).

Clearly the masses in Rome & Greece and much of the empire proper didn't believe this - which is why his actions sparked revolts (you wouldn't revolt against a god) - nor did Julius Caesar himself, as he publicly rejected the title of King (something the nobles did tongue-in-cheek), and why they ultimately stabbed him to death on the floor of the senate (again, not something you would do to a god). The title of Caesar only became such an honorific long after he was dead (and after Jesus was dead).

More likely you're thinking of Caligula, who was crazy, and did actually regard himself as a living god (or at least, he wanted to be worshiped as such) - though his rule didn't begin until a few years after Jesus died. So neither Caesar / Octavian (prior), or Caligula (after) - really align with seeing Jesus as a threat. The dude in charge during Jesus's stuff would have been Tiberius - but he definitely didn't regard himself as a god, he was a great general put in charge of the empire because of his successes, and all he seemed to want to do was to go back to his army - an exceptionally boring ruler who eventually did just that - packed his bags, ditched his throne, and went back to roughing it with his men at the edge of the (known) world.

Anyway - I'm rambling on - but the point is the divinity of the emperor wasn't really true beforehand, definitely not true during, and only true in the mind of the insane emperors after Jesus's time: it certainly was not a central structure of their authority, which means raggedy dudes preaching new religions were not a threat. The Roman Empire happily housed tons of religions, many with dozens or even hundreds of gods - all of which were allowed to continue unabated during Roman rule. Religion in the Roman empire was mostly just collected mythologies that explain how to be good, or what evil is like, or why bad shit happens sometimes, or who to blame if there is a drought.

Much like the legalization of the drug of choice for rebelling against "the man" would be very, very dangerous to a nation that currently thinks cops are murders and people who have more than $1 Million are evil incarnate.
    So you're concerned that people will inject a whole marijuana and then, fueled by their stoned rage, go out and kill cops and millionaires? I'm not really sure how to respond to that - it's not how marijuana works, or why people are upset with cops, it doesn't require marijuana to be legalized to use marijuana, and it doesn't require using marijuana to kill cops.

Also it's worth noting that the whole 99% thing wasn't against millionaires, but people making over $1M/year, which is a very different thing - and apart from Motorhead, I don't remember anyone calling for the poor to rise up and Eat The Rich.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-07-19 at 04:38 PM.

We're well past that point. Remember prohibition in the US and how well that worked? I feel like as long as there's sound reasons besides "they're just going to do it anyway" (like the benefits of taxing and regulating it for the government) it should be legalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regulated prostitution.

Most drugs I'd be fine with. If they are legal, they would be sold at stores, taxed, and regulated. Not any of those fake designer drugs life synthetic weed, or the crap the Russians have been injecting into themselves that contains gasoline. Normal stuff. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin.

Speeding in appropriate locations. There is no reason to drive 80mph in a neighborhood full of kids.

Swearing. Didn't even know it fell under illegal. But while I don't cuss a ton it can help get a point across or add emphasis. All in the context.

Don't think I could approve freely assaulting people or murder.

Basically comes down to things that really only affect me. If I want to do a line of heroin for my crazy back pain and busted discs after work to relax and sleep, why shouldn't I be allowed to?

If people want sex without all the games and a girl is providing the service safely, then why not?

War on drugs has been an amazing failure. All that money and resources could do so much more good.

Do I ever expect to see any of this in my lifetime? I doubt

I'd probably legalize the growing of the poppy plant so I could make poppy tea for special occasions, like Tuesdays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Swearing is not illegal in my country xD
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Drinking in general is the only way to be happy so might as well get it out of the way as young as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drugs and prostitution not because I agree with them, but because it is a waste of assets to police it and both industries would be better off just being regulated.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to be able to carry an ice cream cone in my pocket in new york on a sunday.