Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think it is a fad that will lose momentum shortly. remember when avatar came out and everyone was going crazy about how 3d movies were the future? most people hate 3d movies now.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by nogard64 View Post
    I hope you aren't talking about things like DVD players, CD music, Facebook, the internet, cellular phones, Netflix, because the tech Pokemon go is using is that Revolutionary, Its not just augmented reality, I called it Enhanced reality or assisted reality, the world will be changed and seen FOREVER through APPS and google glass devices. Imagine taking your kids to the gym and in their glasses when they look at a LION it will have the lion's name, lions birthday, lions age, and diet all right there. I really think you are short sighted to call this a fad.

Honestly I see that 3D TVs was a fad, old school virtual Reality is a fad, pet rocks, but Pokemon Go is a whole other animal.
    And I think it's hopelessly optimistic to think it'll change the world. Augmented reality has been around for years and not many had heard of it before the pokemon hook.

I don't care either way and I'm not "against" pokemon go, I just honestly don't see it having a lasting impact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I know all that, I just fail to see how it will have any longetivity. It's a pretty terrible 'game' in all honesty and will need some actual updates or people will get bored of it quickly. People are fickle.
    There's a huge swathe of features to come, including inter-player battles which in of itself will increase the longevity massively. There's also about 600 more Pokemon to add to the game yet.

You mean as was Ingress, which Pokemon Go is actually built on?

I hope you aren't talking about things like DVD players, CD music, Facebook, the internet, cellular phones, Netflix, because the tech Pokemon go is using is that Revolutionary, Its not just augmented reality, I called it Enhanced reality or assisted reality, the world will be changed and seen FOREVER through APPS and google glass devices. Imagine taking your kids to the gym and in their glasses when they look at a LION it will have the lion's name, lions birthday, lions age, and diet all right there. I really think you are short sighted to call this a fad.

Honestly I see that 3D TVs was a fad, old school virtual Reality is a fad, pet rocks, but Pokemon Go is a whole other animal.
    "revolutionary"

Do your research at least, the technology has been around for years and was used in games years before this.

It's the Pokemon IP that is popular, not the AR. The Pokemon IP is simply making good use of tech we've have had for awhile.

10+ Year Old Account

You really are just getting excited about old Tech that has been made popular recently (probably only for as long as the fad holds water) because a franchise was able to execute it's use successfully. AR has been around for a long time and didn't catch on when it was first introduced or when it was brought up quietly as a thing again with the release of the PS Vita and 3DS. Also please stop calling it Enhanced Reality, it's literally a 3D model loaded over your camera feed. There's nothing enhanced about that Reality.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

AR games will probably develop into a genre, sure. I doubt they'll become a dominant force in the market, just another facet of the already-strong mobile gaming market.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    There's a huge swathe of features to come, including inter-player battles which in of itself will increase the longevity massively. There's also about 600 more Pokemon to add to the game yet.
    Personally, if they add the ability to train your pokemon and battle wild pokemon to level them / evolve it would add a lot for me. Right now the pokemon you catch are pretty much expendable. Add some player attachment to the pokemon and it'll be a massive boost to depth. Could just be a me thing but I remember a massive part of pokemon was actually building your team and not just hoping rng would bless you with a strong one.

If they expand it massively in the right ways it could be amazing, but a lot could also go wrong. Either way I think pokemon is a real niche and not many other concepts would gel well with the tech . Or we could just end up with 1000's of "Catch x" games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually as games become a part of reality I will probably stop gaming. The entire reason I play and have played games is to escape from reality, not alter it.

I've been playing Pokemon Go and this Augmented Reality, I call it enhanced reality has so much potential, imagine going to a park and battling Onyxia and the group must have 2 Tanks and DPS and 2 healers with the APP ON and everyone must move and have roles and know a Strategy, and winning loot after defeating Onyxia. Imagine pairing the phone with GOOGLE glass and you can PVP someone in the park throwing Fire balls and launching ICE missiles. Yes people will have to move and be more athletic so is there anything wrong with that to pair gaming with physical Athleticism, Imagine a local park will look like Stormwind with GOOGLE glass on and you have to walk up to Virtually real Auctioneers and do professions! I think blizzard better take heed and get on this AR TECHNOLOGY because if they wont you bet 100 other gaming companies are already programming games like what I described.
    I dont think so! Many persons can only play at night and mostly during the winter so i think it's a no go!
    I bealive total immersion will be the future of gaming! With a headset that would read your brainwave and emute in a virtual reality. Thats my opinon!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call it the future of gaming as much as creating a new genre of gaming. Granted there were a few other similar games before it, but Pokemon Go has firmly established it as a new genre. That's not a small feat however when you think about games. New genres of games really don't come around very often at all, maybe once every 5+ years. Take a step back and think about the types of games over the years; arcade, fps, rts, mmo, etc. The fact that AR can probably now be added as a new genre is pretty cool and not something we see very often.

I would expect it to be heavily copied due to the success, and I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz isn't already rushing to work on one. But it's also a new and different genre of game, and so it's not something that really replaces mmos, or other PC (or console) gaming. It's apples and oranges to compare it to say Madden, FIFA, GTA, CS:GO, Hearthstone, wow, etc.

It is also the first step towards VR gaming though, which is coming. We'll have to wait and see if that's a fad like the Wii/Move/Kinect and motion controllers and cameras were, or something that sticks. That was huge and now the only game I ever still see people actually using it for gaming with anymore is Just Dance.

Far from it?

It's just the next step on mindless mobile gaming, in the likes of Clash of Clans or Candy Crush Saga, benefiting for the novelty and a lot of Pokemon nostalgia from young adults.

Honestly, i have 0 interest on it, won't even install it to 'check it out'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "revolutionary"

Do your research at least, the technology has been around for years and was used in games years before this.

It's the Pokemon IP that is popular, not the AR. The Pokemon IP is simply making good use of tech we've have had for awhile.
    While this is true, the same could have been said about World of Warcraft. There were plenty of MMOs before it, and it wasn't anything new, but it brought a huge number of players into the genre due to the IP. The same can be said about Pokemon Go.

Now, do I think this will be the future of gaming? Not at all. However, I do think that this will be a big stepping stone in that process. With such a large player base, we'll undoubtedly start seeing a slew of Go clones over a number of months, and we'll hopefully see a variety of mechanics and options to see what does and does not work.

The AR part of the game is not that entertaining, I actually turn it off because it's just a distraction/annoyance when trying to catch pokemon.

Pokemon Go would be still immensely popular without that feature of the game, it just produced some funny memes if anything.

Deleted
    No, because once the rain and snow come back as they do every year, no one will get their asses of the couch.

Why do you think Nintendo released it during this time of the year?

Deleted
    No I don't want games with as shit gameplay as pokemon go

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    I don't think, because Nintendo didn't release it.

When virtual reality systems started getting closer to release more and more people started predicting it would be a short lived bubble and set the stage for intergrated reality tech. Cox cable for example has been working on IR tech for awhile it has been in their commercials for a few years. Thanks to phones and tablets this is a much cheaper route, that alone will help it.

Anything that puts statistics to daily events will be popular. Much like fitbit just tracking things you normally do appeals to people. For some ot is a short lived fad or novelty, but enough will adopt it as a way of life.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I know all that, I just fail to see how it will have any longetivity. It's a pretty terrible 'game' in all honesty and will need some actual updates or people will get bored of it quickly. People are fickle.
    Well, all they have to do is add another generation and people would rush right back.

Which I don't see why they wouldn't. The battling will never be that big though I think personally if they leave it as is.

That being said, I don't want Pokemon Go's version of AR to be "the future of gaming". It's really kinda just tacked on as a "Hey cool, there it is" kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    No, because once the rain and snow come back as they do every year, no one will get their asses of the couch.

Ha! I'm in Texas, once the rain and snow start up, I'll finally get my ass off the couch and go outside. Running around when its 90+ outside just doesn't work for me. Then again, I'm in shots when its 20F outside.