Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    You know, someone you can rally behind in bad times? Someone that actually has a vision for the Western world and it's societies? Not someone that simply reacts to events (and often also poorly)

What do you think?
    Well, perhaps because there is no general vision for the Western world anymore. We are flooded by bad news everyday, and social media tends to make a mountains out of molehills, yet the general living standard is as high as it's never been before.

There is no "western world" to lead like it was during the cold war. It all breaks down to the specific problems of the countries, they all have individual problems - at least perceived by the citizens - that the voters expect to be solved. The more content people get, the more they are looking for scapegoats they can put their blown up problems on.

And the problem remaining that affects all western countries - like the situation in the middle east or the terrorism coming from there - are not easily, if at all - solvable with a vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    So... A personal cult?

Looking in my eyes! What can you see? A cult of Personality!

A system designed to appeal to the majority is a factory for mediocrity.
    Working as intended -thankfully-.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The problem with the West, summed up, is moral decay.
    Yes, that is likely
    People cheating on their partners everywhere and no punishment for it
    People killing their kids because they think they are trouble
    People engaging in dubious sexual acts
    No respect for family

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Unfortunately I think the turning point has already happened. And I don't think this is restricted to the "Western" world, I think this applies to any/all governments these days and that is this;

Capitalism has won.

If any of you are familiar with the Shadowrun universe, if you remove the awakening of meta humans and magic, then they have successfully predicted the future in that corporations have surpassed governments in terms of wielding power. The Citizens United supreme court case has pretty much cemented corporate power as of this point, and until it reverts back I just don't see how "the people" could possibly outmaneuver corporate strategists in a long game.

Just look at the recent financial crisis the 2008 real estate housing bubble. How many people were jailed again? Who was "too big to fail"? The American people help bail out the car industry, big time banks and insurance players and what do we have to show for it?

Nothing.

Game set match.

What do you mean by west?

Cause we've had leaders like José Mujica (in uruguay) that people love to follow and has tried to really have a positive impact around America (continents).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Can't think of a single western (Or any other for that matter) leader that'd I'd be proud to have. So yeah, we have a serious lack of decent leadership. At best we can hope for someone who doesn't fuck everything up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidosounds View Post
    What do you mean by west?
    Anglophone countries + EU28/EEA.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment? Yeah. Bernie was promising and showed a lot of potential but the country didn't feel the same so /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Anglophone countries + EU28/EEA.
    So what do you consider the rest of America to be? (Genuinly interested, I thought America as a group of continents was considered Western)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    You know, someone you can rally behind in bad times? Someone that actually has a vision for the Western world and it's societies? Not someone that simply reacts to events (and often also poorly)

There arent any in Europe and neither will there be one in the US any time soon (no matter who wins).
    It's kinda depressing really, I think we could really use one or more in the years to come.

What do you think?
    Justin Trudeau, happy to have voted for him, mostly content with what he's accomplished so far - will be very content if he continues to do stuff at his present rate.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

15+ Year Old Account
    So what do you consider the rest of America to be? (Genuinly interested, I thought America as a group of continents was considered Western)
    Latin America.

Here, have a picture:

i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I think it's a good thing honestly, cult of personality is a dangerous thing. Rally behind ideas, not people.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    LOL, thanks for the laugh.
    I'm about 70% sure its a parody or charicature account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The problem with the West, summed up, is moral decay.
    Yup.

/10char
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

When Obama decides to speak he is pretty inspiring. If only he used that ability to bridge relationships with the communities instead of divide. The GOP (who highjacked the republican party) is partly (mostly) to blame. Ronald Reagan would be disappointed with the republican party the way it is now. Unfortunately the GOP has to cater to the mid-west (White Jurrassic Park) so the republicans or conservatives who aren't religious just get f******... I don't want to vote for Hillary who is (Insert insult) or Bernie who was genuine but a bit too heavy-handed with his fiscal policies. I don't want to vote for Trump for his comments about torture, banning "all" muslims, and the fact he tweets whatever he feels at the moment. "Man, I had a meeting with the Queen of England today and she seemed pretty stuck up." lul.. I can just imagine that tweet going out. We really need someone who is more in the center. One who wants to follow the constitution, but one who also has poise and can bring peoples together.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Latin America.

Here, have a picture:

Interesting, but in that case yeah, there's no leader in the west I'd follow besides maybe Sanders.

LMAO. You're not paying attention to the east. And what does that even mean? "Leaders to "follow?" Are you serious? This is 2016. A world of individualists. We elect (In the west) people to steer our crap, thats all.

There really isn't any good options right now, hillary and trump both have their flaws.

15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, but in that case yeah, there's no leader in the west I'd follow besides maybe Sanders.
    He is not a leader, though.