7+ Year Old Account

Legion Ultra Sapphire 390X?

the recocmended settings the game told me was "good"
    can my Nitro 390X handle Ultra or ultra+?

playing on a 1440p FreSync monitor
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What are your systems full specs?
    i7 4790k
    Maximus Hero 7
    16GB RAM G skill 2133
    XFX 850 PSU Gold
    deepcool captain 360 cooler
    Filthy Casual

Ultra you'll be fine with your pc. Though once you go past 7 the shadows and draw distance will cripple any system. Everything isn't optimized yet either. Once it is performance should be better.

Nvidia performs better in WoW, that said you will already be at 120+ FPS out in the world compared to 150+ FPS on a competitive nvidia card so who cares at that point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Ultra you'll be fine with your pc. Though once you go past 7 the shadows and draw distance will cripple any system. Everything isn't optimized yet either. Once it is performance should be better.
    yeah shadows have been a thing since vanilla so I always turn that down just out of a 11 year habit. draw distance i do enjoy, especially in Jade Forest.

also running Win7 forgot to mention that above

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nvidia performs better in WoW, that said you will already be at 120+ FPS out in the world compared to 150+ FPS on a competitive nvidia card so who cares at that point.
    i leave it at 90Hz to use FreeSync since I have the MG279Q. Before I went AMD, I had strix 970 SLi and it was fine.
    Filthy Casual

I was just making a point, the FPS added by going the nvidia route (in your case a 1070 would be the upgrade path) would only be seen in situations not limited by WoW's engine (raids, large scale pvp, world bosses etc etc)

7+ Year Old Account
    I was just making a point, the FPS added by going the nvidia route (in your case a 1070 would be the upgrade path) would only be seen in situations not limited by WoW's engine (raids, large scale pvp, world bosses etc etc)
    ok. i wasnt asking for your Nvidia fanboi point. hence why I came here instead of linustechtips. eveyr AMD post is followed by hundreds of Nvidia comments.

my 390X is just fine as others pointed out
    Filthy Casual

Umm what? I think you misread my post, i literally said the FPS gained by going nvidia would not help in your situation at all. I said NOT to upgrade lol.

Also no fanboying going on here its a proven fact WoW loves nvidia cards:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/21.html

If you wanted to upgrade to a 1070 this chart shows what kind of gains you could expect (again, in an outdoor GPU limited scenario)
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-07-18 at 03:55 PM.

I do the max settings without problems with my 9590 at 4.0ghz and my 280x (at 1200mhz tho)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Ultra in Legion won't necessarily cripple systems. I'm running a 2500k at 4.6GHz with a GTX 1070. Full ultra with 8xMSAA runs at an average 80-90fps outdoors and higher in dungeons. While I'm only playing at 1080p, I'm also running a render scale of 140%, which is actually a slightly higher than 1440p pixel count. Unfortunately, I haven't done any raids in beta to see how the setup handles that environment. On live (same settings), I averaged 93fps in HFC during my Thursday night raid.

As you said, though, once all of the debugging code is removed (ie, 7.0 goes live), performance should increase.

Edit: I can't speak to the comparative performance of a 390X, but wanted to point out that greater than 7 won't necessarily cripple all systems.

As an aside my system defaulted to 7 graphics preset on the PTR with an oc'd 2500k and gtx 760, pegged at 60 FPS vsync everywhere. Cilraaz why do you run 8xAA? You could pull 150 fps everywhere with no stutter just by running one of the more advanced AA methods like CMAA (or the other one which i forgot the name of lol).

I also set the view distance slider to 10 and it didnt affect my FPS at all with a lowly 4.2ghz 2500k. Legion seems pretty well tuned to me.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-07-18 at 04:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As an aside my system defaulted to 7 graphics preset on the PTR with an oc'd 2500k and gtx 760, pegged at 60 FPS vsync everywhere. Cilraaz why do you run 8xAA? You could pull 150 fps everywhere with no stutter just by running one of the more advanced AA methods like CMAA (or the other one which i forgot the name of lol).

I also set the view distance slider to 10 and it didnt affect my FPS at all with a lowly 4.2ghz 2500k. Legion seems pretty well tuned to me.
    Not sure why I would want post-process AA (FXAA or CMAA) instead of MSAA (with MFAA enabled in the GeForce software). PPAA is objectively inferior to MSAA, MFAA, or SSAA. I'm running a 60Hz 1080p monitor, so 90 vs 150 fps make no difference to me. SSAA, as implemented in WoW, is essentially 8xMSAA with 200% render scale, which actually puts some strain on my 1070 and pulls it under 60fps in places, which is why I turned it down to 140% instead, which I found to be the sweet spot for me.

Oh nvm my post then, for some reason i thought you were on a 144hz panel.

http://i.imgur.com/F2HoYjF.jpg

i haven't bothered tweaking around the settings that much, but this is what i am currently at quite happily. i5 4670k (4.4ghz) with an r9 290

i can't tell the difference between maximum AA and no AA so i just leave it off. if you have secrets to keeping above 96fps let me know!
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-07-18 at 04:32 PM.