Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Should update with newest hotfixes, Dragon Scales increases IP absorb by only 45% now.
    Also with the reduced damage on revenge and nerfed Dragon Scales probably the best path in the artefact could change a little? Not much, probably i'd swap the revenge trait with the thunder clap one.

    NS got nerfed too, 75% increase max. I suppose it will also affect the cap on IP stacks to something like (3*1.75) IP at 60 rage.

    other than that, perfect guide! Good work!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Jim View Post
    Should update with newest hotfixes, Dragon Scales increases IP absorb by only 45% now.
    Also with the reduced damage on revenge and nerfed Dragon Scales probably the best path in the artefact could change a little? Not much, probably i'd swap the revenge trait with the thunder clap one.

    NS got nerfed too, 75% increase max. I suppose it will also affect the cap on IP stacks to something like (3*1.75) IP at 60 rage.

    other than that, perfect guide! Good work!
    Wasn't really able to get to them until I got out of work, RIP.

    Dragon Scales is still really, really powerful. It's likely it remains the best golden trait, so no need to change the artifact path. On the same token, the nerf to Revenge damage didn't really do anything - it's still a Rage loss to not prioritize it, and it's not really a DPS loss. I'd still take it over the Thunder Clap trait.

    Never Surrender wasn't really that good anyways. This nerf just cements the fact that Indomitable is better (see updated explanation for more info).

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post
    Never Surrender wasn't really that good anyways. This nerf just cements the fact that Indomitable is better (see updated explanation for more info).
    Your dungeon and world content talent starter build images still take NS. I am assuming after the nerf its now better to have Indomitable everywhere.

  4. #44
    You might want to note that if you're taking Vengeance, which you really should be, you also want to take Ultimatum. Ultimatum synergizes very nicely with the first artifact trait we'll get and with Battle Cry, and is the only option in the lvl 45 tier that has a defensive benefit, as it can save you rage and help you build a bigger IP shield faster.

    Obviously if you don't need the extra defensive boost (which is a small one, granted, though one that can be really useful at the right time if gamed correctly with Battle Cry) or if you hate Vengeance, you should choose one of the other lvl 45 talents.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardyface View Post
    You might want to note that if you're taking Vengeance, which you really should be, you also want to take Ultimatum. Ultimatum synergizes very nicely with the first artifact trait we'll get and with Battle Cry, and is the only option in the lvl 45 tier that has a defensive benefit, as it can save you rage and help you build a bigger IP shield faster.

    Obviously if you don't need the extra defensive boost (which is a small one, granted, though one that can be really useful at the right time if gamed correctly with Battle Cry) or if you hate Vengeance, you should choose one of the other lvl 45 talents.
    That's already in the guide, both in the section for Ultimatum and the Vengeance mini-guide under the Advanced Play section.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tarix View Post
    Your dungeon and world content talent starter build images still take NS. I am assuming after the nerf its now better to have Indomitable everywhere.
    Even before then, it was. I'd made that section a while ago and simply forgotten to update it (my apologies!). It's been fixed.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post
    That's already in the guide, both in the section for Ultimatum and the Vengeance mini-guide under the Advanced Play section.
    You say:

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post
    Ultimatum - Great if you like seeing very high Shield Slam hits, as it is free damage for critting and synergizes extremely well with Vengeance as a bonus. It’s not guaranteed, however, so you will see it pop much less than the damage from Renewed Fury.

    Vengeance also has fantastic synergy with Ultimatum, since the free Focused Rage will start the process. Since we use Battle Cry on pull, your first Shield Slam is guaranteed to critically strike, meaning you can start on the Vengeance buff rotation right from the beginning of combat.
    Which is all correct, but it might be worth pointing out that Ultimatum is the only choice if you take Vengeance, unless you aren't concerned about min/maxing. It doesn't just synergize well, it's essential.

    Great guide, by the way. Thanks for taking the time to write it!

  7. #47
    Well, ultimatum is no really the only choice. It synergize stupidly well with vengeance of course. But if you don' really need those free ip i believe avatar could prove more useful than a free FR once in a while ( crit % is not gonna be that high with the current stat priority.)

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Jim View Post
    Well, ultimatum is no really the only choice. It synergize stupidly well with vengeance of course. But if you don' really need those free ip i believe avatar could prove more useful than a free FR once in a while ( crit % is not gonna be that high with the current stat priority.)
    Ultimatum is always better from a defensive standpoint because it's the only talent in that tier that saves you rage. When you're running it with Vengeance and it procs you can stack stronger IPs faster because you don't have to spend 15 or 30 rage to hit FR and activate FR: IP.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardyface View Post
    Ultimatum is always better from a defensive standpoint because it's the only talent in that tier that saves you rage. When you're running it with Vengeance and it procs you can stack stronger IPs faster because you don't have to spend 15 or 30 rage to hit FR and activate FR: IP.
    I know, that's why i said "if you don't really need those free ips" meaning that if you have already enough survivability talents like avatar would be much better in terms of damage.
    So my whole point was Ultimatum is not the only talent in general. From a defensive standpoint yes it is, from an offensive one no it's not.

  10. #50
    Is there any reason why i shouldnt macro SB with SS together?
    I mean right now the cost is very small and i want do SB even when i am offtanking due to HR.

    Can you guys give me a situation where i DONT want to SB before SS with HR as a talent?
    Last edited by Malic; 2016-08-20 at 09:49 PM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Malic View Post
    Is there any reason why i shouldnt macro SB with SS together?
    I mean right now the cost is very small and i want do SB even when i am offtanking due to HR.

    Can you guys give me a situation where i DONT want to SB before SS with HR as a talent?
    When you're off tanking, or killing the last mob or two of a dungeon trash pack.

    Managing your SB charges is part of playing effectively as a warrior. Tanking well involves recognizing when you're in danger and when you're not, and saving resources during times you're not in danger that you then spend during times you are in danger. Your friends and fellow raiders will appreciate you taking the effort to learn to manage both abilities optimally separately, and it'll be more intellectually engaging for you as well.

  12. #52
    thank you for the guide , was really nice to finally know what to take, NS or indomitable.
    but i still struggle between (ultimtum + Veng) or ( RF + ITF)
    for me i see ITF give 3% more haste and more if you get more adds so added hate, means more rage, but then i feel like im using IP more when i take veng.
    cant really say which one helps me survive more since we dont do mythics more and i overgear hc hfc. would really like some help which talents to go for for pure survival, dps is nice but not what im looking for esp in new raids

  13. #53
    I recommend ult/ven combo. You'll seemore survival and with artifact trait you'll see somenice damage increase as well. There's also a macro u can use that'll give u the shield slam buff n full ip all costing only 45 rage.

  14. #54
    Great guide thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I JUST decided to go Prot Warrior so I don't have much experience tanking with this class. My questions are: (sorry if already answered)

    • Currently I'm using SS, Rev, Dev. Hitting SS/Rev on procs of course. However the moment I have a free Focused Rage (or enough rage to hard cast), I pop it immediately, and as SOON as I have enough rage to cast IP I am. Is that wrong? Am I supposed to be building more rage for IP, or should I be using it as often as possible (regardless of rage) for high up time of IP? Of course then the problem is I have little to no rage for IV or SB. I feel like staying rage starved is not the correct way of playing.

    • As far as packs of mobs go. I charge in. TC, Shockwave, and then start the rotation and casting TC on cd. Is this correct? Do I need to be tab targeting my SS and Devs?

    Once again, thanks.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Malic View Post
    Is there any reason why i shouldnt macro SB with SS together?
    I mean right now the cost is very small and i want do SB even when i am offtanking due to HR.

    Can you guys give me a situation where i DONT want to SB before SS with HR as a talent?
    Shield block has a 13 second CD and a 6 second duration, if you macro your abilities together your shield block will always be on cooldown and may not be available for use as a defensive. If you are purely dpsing and never get attacked, it could also be a dps loss to not have a charge available to coincide with cooldowns or trinket procs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabwarrior View Post
    • Currently I'm using SS, Rev, Dev. Hitting SS/Rev on procs of course. However the moment I have a free Focused Rage (or enough rage to hard cast), I pop it immediately, and as SOON as I have enough rage to cast IP I am. Is that wrong? Am I supposed to be building more rage for IP, or should I be using it as often as possible (regardless of rage) for high up time of IP? Of course then the problem is I have little to no rage for IV or SB. I feel like staying rage starved is not the correct way of playing.
    Shield block for 10 rage can prevent much more damage than a 10 rage ignore pain, you should be prioritizing that. Generally you should be pooling your rage for big boss abilities, however if you overgear the content so much that your ignore pain never falls off, then this rotation will work. You could also delay your focused rage / ignore pain and stretch out the 15 second ignore pain buff timer and you would be able to save up rage, while still being mindful not to cap out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabwarrior View Post
    • As far as packs of mobs go. I charge in. TC, Shockwave, and then start the rotation and casting TC on cd. Is this correct? Do I need to be tab targeting my SS and Devs?
    Revenge is your primary AOE ability, thunderclap is useful for first picking up the group of enemies, however after that it is the aoe equivalent to devestate and should be used once everything else is on cooldown. Tab targetting would not hurt for threat, but I dont think it would ever be necessary. Probably more useful to single target down priority targets.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodronin4life View Post
    There's also a macro u can use that'll give u the shield slam buff n full ip all costing only 45 rage.
    Which one ?

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by paipito View Post
    Which one ?
    /cast focused rage
    /cast ignore pain

    As long as you cast it with the vengeance buff up. Which isnpretty easy to do if u start with a shield slam crit hit or just use it at 60 rage.
    Last edited by Bloodronin4life; 2016-08-28 at 12:00 PM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodronin4life View Post
    /cast focused rage
    /cast ignore pain

    As long as you cast it with the vengeance buff up. Which isnpretty easy to do if u start with a shield slam crit hit or just use it at 60 rage.
    Macros like this are totally suboptimal. You really shouldn't use them, they don't work in the majority of situations.

  19. #59
    Blademaster Gbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    29
    Is there a pre-raid BiS list?!?!

  20. #60
    Dreadlord Kanariya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    961
    I haven't played Prot in quite a while, but while we have ways of increasing our Block (Mastery) and Parry (Crit), it seems we don't have any way to increase Dodge anymore. I'm sitting on base 3%, and I'm assuming that I'll always be at 3%?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •