Looking for Complete Package

Hi,

I don't have the know-how (nor the comfort level) to build my own PC properly, nor do I have any friends, acquaintances, work-buddies or otherwise that I could ask for help.

With a $2,000 hard limit (but cheaper is always good), I'm looking for a solid set-up for a guy that mainly plays WoW and surfs the internet. I don't do any high-end gaming or streaming or video editing, but I do like to...not play WoW on the lowest settings, and I'd like a set-up that's going to last a few years that I can make reasonable upgrades to (I'm not knowledgeable in building a complete PC, but I have changed RAM/graphics cards with success). Additionally, I currently play with 2 monitors and would like to keep it that way, if that makes any difference in set-up choices.

I've had varying degrees of success buying complete PCs from NewEgg or the like, but I feel like I'm so far behind on parts names and how good they are nowadays, I came here for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

While i could put together a 2k build for you, just realize a ~700 dollar build would run WoW the same.

My question would be... where is your comfort level at on budget?

I know 2000 is the hard l imit, but where is your comfort level. Yeah, we could make you a plain-jane WoWBox for ~700, but if you're comfortable at 1200, 1300, we could spruce it up and future-proof it a little better.

Or if 2000 is also your comfort level, i can do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    My question would be... where is your comfort level at on budget?

I know 2000 is the hard l imit, but where is your comfort level. Yeah, we could make you a plain-jane WoWBox for ~700, but if you're comfortable at 1200, 1300, we could spruce it up and future-proof it a little better.

Or if 2000 is also your comfort level, i can do that too.
    As stated above, I definitely would prefer something that's a little future-proof. While $2,000 is the hard limit, I'd say anything $800-$1,200 is within my "comfort" level. I guess I'm merely preparing myself just in case, because I really don't know anything about the market

Do you need OS, mouse/keyboard/speakers/headset and optical drive? Are you only considering prebuilds or there is anyone who can build this PC?
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-18 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Do you need OS, mouse/keyboard/speakers/headset and optical drive? Are you only considering prebuilds or there is anyone who can build this PC?
    OS installed preferable, have all the peripherals, and an optical drive would be preferred just in case (yes, maybe I'm a bit of a fuddy-duddy...kindly get off my lawn ).

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    OS installed preferable, have all the peripherals, and an optical drive would be preferred just in case (yes, maybe I'm a bit of a fuddy-duddy...kindly get off my lawn ).
    Ok, let's see. Buying a prebuild is possible and we can advice on that but the setup will always be suboptimal and at least 30% overpriced. If you can find or hire someone to build it for you the build could be so much better and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I highly recommend just grabbing a 25$ DVD-RW external from LG. That way you can use it with whatever, in the extremely rare case you actually need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I highly recommend just grabbing a 25$ DVD-RW external from LG. That way you can use it with whatever, in the extremely rare case you actually need it.
    If that is the better option...I mean...I am here asking advice.

I literally am a computer hardware illiterate fool. I don't keep up with prices, specs, etc. I used to have a trusted friend from my hometown give me advice, but he is no longer among the living...so here I am.

"Better?" Eh? It opens up your case options a lot. I dont really even see the need for a media drive anymore. I haven't used one in almost a decade. My wife recently decided to rip her entire CD collection, which is the first time either one of us had needed one in about that long, as well. The only computer in my house with a media drive is the Mac Mini (2009/C2D) that we use as an HTPC - and that's just because it came with one standard. I wouldnt have cared if it didn't.

So, if you really think you might need one - better to just get an external (LG makes some great little slim-line drives in the ~30$ range that are entirely bus-powered) to have on hand just in case and keep your case options open.

Also, what makes you think you can't build it yourself? Trust me when i say, it isn't hard anymore. If you can work with Legos, you can build a PC. My wife is a total hardware illiterate (she does IT for medical software, but show her the inside of a computer and her eyes glaze over) and i made her build her current gaming PC (a little modest Core i3 system since she's not exactly a hardcore gamer) by herself with only YouTube as a resource and instructions to bother me only if she couldn't find the answer online.

She never had to bother me and had it up and running (in the EFI/BIOS) in like an hour. Its really easy. If she can do it, you can do it.