Thread: Ouch, disc pvp?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I'm not sure if I am playing Vs. downies every single arena or BG but on live and on beta I am just below or tied with most healers in the BG and doing a lot of dmg. I do good in arena assuming my team wants to peel for me. I am curious if its cause I have wanted a Character like this in the game for some time now... ever since the Shaman class in Warhammer Online, maybe that is why it sort of clicks for me? I love it and I am definitely seeing good results.

Want high numbers in BG's? Wonder how other discs do it (99% of the time)?

Use Shadow Covenant

Just wanted to get that out of the way for lurkers out here who just wanted to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosori View Post
    Want high numbers in BG's? Wonder how other discs do it (99% of the time)?

Use Shadow Covenant

Just wanted to get that out of the way for lurkers out here who just wanted to know that.
    I feel like this is some really solid misinformation. I will try it tonight but if you lose PtW you lose damage, annnnnd then you lose healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Hey all,

So I know everything is upside down right now with prepatch balance. But after several bgs as Disc. I'm rather frustrated. Finding several dps classes out healing me Warlocks, Warriors even..
    Still learning the new Disc play style but dang, seems rough. Anyone else having issues with Disc and pvp?
    I'm sorry I can't agree with this. I'm easily top healer in bgs and sometimes by miles. Masochism, Twist of Fate, Grace are huge benefits to your healing. Spread pleas, use shield when needed, spam Shadow mend like crazy. Try to either kjuke kicks or lure them with penance or smite if possible. when you have free globals spam SWain on targets for extra atonement heals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sikplays View Post
    I feel like this is some really solid misinformation. I will try it tonight but if you lose PtW you lose damage, annnnnd then you lose healing.
    I agree. I can see how yo ucould abuse it for numbers purposes but I don't see it being nearly as effective as grace. Currently I can crit over 200k with shadow mend in bgs. I wouldn't trade grace for anything else on that tier ever. And I top BG charts pretty easily without his Shadow Covenant.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    pretty much just atonement with plea on the people you know are going to take consistent damage SWP everything in sight keeping atonement up with PWS and extra pleas. then just dps your pants off and dont forget to use your pet for some extra ticks of healing i prefer to take the talent to make it stronger and i take schism as a dps ability as well, follow that up with a penance and it will keep people alive

Quote Originally Posted by Sikplays View Post
    I agree. I can see how yo ucould abuse it for numbers purposes but I don't see it being nearly as effective as grace. Currently I can crit over 200k with shadow mend in bgs. I wouldn't trade grace for anything else on that tier ever. And I top BG charts pretty easily without his Shadow Covenant.

I've figured out how to break the meters with disc. Keep atonement up on 3-5 people, and just spam the shit out of SW:P or the talented holy fire version on anything that moves. I have never seen such a gap in healing done between me and other healers. I'm talking like double the healing done. It's insane padding. Works great as long as there is another healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I've figured out how to break the meters with disc. Keep atonement up on 3-5 people, and just spam the shit out of SW:P or the talented holy fire version on anything that moves. I have never seen such a gap in healing done between me and other healers. I'm talking like double the healing done. It's insane padding. Works great as long as there is another healer.
    There are a couple ways you can play disc in pvp. If you are the only healer this requires constant movement with very few hard casts. This most healing throughput you are going to get is by pleaing/shielding people and spamming Shadow Word: Pains/Penance with some shadowfiend/mind bender thrown in there. That's all you going to get and you have to be constantly on the move.

Other times when you are allowed to hard cast you will still spam SWP on everyone but instead you are spreading your pleas through Power Word: Radiance. 2 or 3 casts will get you just about everyone taking damage then you can penance and smite away then shadow word mend when needed. This option hardly happens but if it does massive heals are going out.

I personally find myself in case 1 most often and therefore things that improve my mobility or survivability or instants are more preferrable to cast time abilities.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hate the new disc! Way to hard to keep track of atonement on everyone in bgs especially when you are getting attacked or stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    I'm sorry I can't agree with this. I'm easily top healer in bgs and sometimes by miles. Masochism, Twist of Fate, Grace are huge benefits to your healing. Spread pleas, use shield when needed, spam Shadow mend like crazy. Try to either kjuke kicks or lure them with penance or smite if possible. when you have free globals spam SWain on targets for extra atonement heals.

- - - Updated - - -

While this is partly true, the thing is that against any semi-competent team you absolutely can't keep people up with SW:P/PTW spam which is where Shadow Covenant comes in, it allows you to top your whole team insanely quick and the healing absorb it leaves is so little it's pmuch automatically handled by the other healer or yourself. (They even had to nerf Shadow Covenant because it was too strong by increasing the healing absorb it leaves)

Also about Masochism, it's a horrible talent that should be avoided if you want to play Disc competitively in PvP because you can break sheeps, blinds etc from yourself with it, but if you go for Masochism it's now useless for that which is one of the key abilities that separates good discs from decent ones and so on.

Grace is definitely a good talent, but only really shines in arenas where Shadow Covenant is useless. While all of those are solid options, Shadow Covenant will always pull ahead in situations that everyone is taking massive damage in teamfights because all the while spamming it you should still be weaving SW:P's and atonements to important targets with plea to only further increase the massive AoE heals you are putting out.

If you have 2 or 3 healers in a BG then going PTW or Grace is absolutely a solid choice. Things will change a lot in a few days so of course this all will be history soon.

Also about Masochism, it's a horrible talent that should be avoided if you want to play Disc competitively in PvP because you can break sheeps, blinds etc from yourself with it, but if you go for Masochism it's now useless for that which is one of the key abilities that separates good discs from decent ones and so on.
    There is so much more damage than healing in pvp atm, especially for priests who have no mobility, that it is more common you will get trained and need masochism than you will need a dot to break a sheep. If things change then so do the talents, but atm I'd rather live than worry about a problem that won't need to happen because I'll just be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    There is so much more damage than healing in pvp atm, especially for priests who have no mobility, that it is more common you will get trained and need masochism than you will need a dot to break a sheep. If things change then so do the talents, but atm I'd rather live than worry about a problem that won't need to happen because I'll just be dead.
    Priests can survive right now very well with 2 schools of healing if you know what you're doing. Masochism's HoT is so insignificant that you won't even notice it. Sacrificing feather for it is an absolute "hell-no" situation and there just is not a single reason to spec in to it if you're a competent player.

Especially in arenas it can't even be considered taking over Feathers, never. In BG's I'd love to think it could be of some use, but no, even there Feather is miles ahead. If you're dying as a disc in prepatch constantly and can't surive train, there's something wrong with your playstyle or you're still a bit inexperienced. While it's true that a disc will flop just like any other healer if you get no peels at all from anyone which is highly unlikely in both BG's and in arenas, you can still survive quite decently most of the time.

If there are say, 3 melees that know what they're doing anyway, the crappy HoT of Masochism will do absolutely nothing to save you.

The problem with 2/3s the comments in this thread is looking at casual bg play. Saying bg's are pvp is like saying that normal dungeons are raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by patrins View Post
    The problem with 2/3s the comments in this thread is looking at casual bg play. Saying bg's are pvp is like saying that normal dungeons are raiding.
    Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Bg's are exactly that, PvP. What does it matter if they are looking this as "casual activity"? They can take the advice as well, you don't need to be a high-end PvP'er for any of these tips and it certainly doesn't mean that you'll have to do what we say regardless if you are just playing for fun.

Your post is just making no sense whatsoever. People who are here for advice can take them, while others can ignore them - simple as that.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. Bg's are exactly that, PvP. What does it matter if they are looking this as "casual activity"? They can take the advice as well, you don't need to be a high-end PvP'er for any of these tips and it certainly doesn't mean that you'll have to do what we say regardless if you are just playing for fun.

Your post is just making no sense whatsoever. People who are here for advice can take them, while others can ignore them - simple as that.
    My point is that in casual play against unorganized/unskilled opponent everything is good. Something can be very good in a BG when played well and be completely destroyed by moderately competent players in arena. Someone claiming that such a class is good because they had success in a BG is a meaningless point. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by patrins View Post
    My point is that in casual play against unorganized/unskilled opponent everything is good. Something can be very good in a BG when played well and be completely destroyed by moderately competent players in arena. Someone claiming that such a class is good because they had success in a BG is a meaningless point. That's all.
    And by that do you mean Disc is bad in arenas? Because that's complete and utter false. Disc is by far the best healer for RMx which is arguably one of the top 3 comps right now. Disc definitely doesn't get "destroyed" by moderately competent players in arena. If you do, then it's either yours or your partners fault. The "Disc is bad" -meme needs to die.
    Last edited by Nosori; 2016-09-01 at 08:57 PM.