Freeze mage revisited

A while back I started a great thread discussing freeze mage strategy and I played it for some time.

Ever since WoG, I've become increasingly salty at constant losses to all the aggro decks. I was playing tempo mage and a couple reno variants and only got as high as 17 or so. Then of course over the last couple days every deck I played would just lose to perfect answers to every play or lucky as shit C'Thun decks.

So, I decided to go back to freeze mage last night. I managed to win game after game and went from 20 with no stars to 14.

Is it possible that freeze mage is just really good in the current meta or is just that I found a deck that I play the best?

Also, even though I was winning a lot, I struggled to decide on how to mulligan. My usual plan is to try and keep cards with draw like novice engineer and loot hoarder. However, I also like to try and keep an ice barrier if available. Any input on that?

Another issue I have is deciding when it is best to just start going face if I haven't drawn Alexstraza yet. Is there a general rule of thumb like if I don't draw him by turn 9 I should start going face with my spells?

15+ Year Old Account
    "Really good" is difficult to say in the 20-10 rank brackets. At these ranks, as long as you play smart and your deck doesn't suck ass then you can win with just about anything.

I'm at 13 currently having played almost nothing except Renounce and Yogg mage and hunter for funsies. Are they strong meta decks? Fuck no. But because this region is populated by average players and wacky decks then the wins do come.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    "Really good" is difficult to say in the 20-10 rank brackets. At these ranks, as long as you play smart and your deck doesn't suck ass then you can win with just about anything.

I'm at 13 currently having played almost nothing except Renounce and Yogg mage and hunter for funsies. Are they strong meta decks? Fuck no. But because this region is populated by average players and wacky decks then the wins do come.
    Not sure I agree. I play smart and play good constructed decks mostly and I was losing a LOT to some really dumb decks and players. Not to mention the annoying aggro shamans. I was playing yogg tempo mage a lot for a while and managed to get to 15 but then just started losing over and over again. Many of the guys in my friends list used to get above rank 10 and a couple legend. These days I look and I see most in the 17-19 range. Just seemed like game is more about luck than ever right now. However, freeze mage seems to be doing very well for me. I can stop almost every deck I face with the exception of warriors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Explain what additional luck/RNG has been added to the game to make it "more about luck" - outside of Yogg?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
    Is it possible that freeze mage is just really good in the current meta or is just that I found a deck that I play the best?
    You probably got really lucky. Freeze mage is a good deck, but without the sillyness of mad scientist, its not consistent enough(and you will lose against most warriors as well). I wouldn't even rate freeze mage 6/10 atm(more like 4/10) because of how easy it is for it to get unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    You probably got really lucky. Freeze mage is a good deck, but without the sillyness of mad scientist, its not consistent enough(and you will lose against most warriors as well). I wouldn't even rate freeze mage 6/10 atm(more like 4/10) because of how easy it is for it to get unlucky.
    You're probably right. I plummeted to the 17 range again. Seems like if I don't draw into frost nova and blizzard I can't stall all the aggro decks and it's a loss. If I see a warrior, I just concede right away.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
    You're probably right. I plummeted to the 17 range again. Seems like if I don't draw into frost nova and blizzard I can't stall all the aggro decks and it's a loss. If I see a warrior, I just concede right away.
    Give it one or two turns vs Warrior. There are two tempo/aggro Warrior decks running around at the moment - pirate and dragon. Pirate is more popular with the lower ranks because it's much cheaper, even though dragon is more consistent and effective. If you see a turn 1 First Mate, and you have Water Eles in your deck, give that match a go. This deck rarely builds armour and is reliant on weapon swings, so if you get an Ele on deck and keep it alive long enough to freeze his face then you have a fighting chance.

Dragon tempo is also not quite as much an insta-loss as full Ctrl War is because they also don't build a lot of armour. Freeze can stall them better than pirate as well, because they only charge minions they usually run are Alex Champs and Korkrons.

Still not favourable for you by any means, but you've got a chance.