Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't know, but I can't imagine they don't have a way to destroy them quickly if need be. Obviously I don't mean by setting them off, but there has to be something they can do. Douse them in some sort of acid that reacts with the Uranium/Plutonium maybe, or something like that.
    You don't need to destroy a nuclear weapon to render it useless. Modern nuclear bombs are intricate, detailed, delicate things that literally cannot go off by accident. I have no clue what the procedure actually is, but it could be as simple as removing/frying the internal processor. Without the correct microsecond timing on the conventional explosives all you've got is a scary pile of radiation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    You don't need to destroy a nuclear weapon to render it useless. Modern nuclear bombs are intricate, detailed, delicate things that literally cannot go off by accident. I have no clue what the procedure actually is, but it could be as simple as removing/frying the internal processor. Without the correct microsecond timing on the conventional explosives all you've got is a scary pile of radiation.
    You wouldn't want to leave them with a big chunk of weapons grade plutonium or uranium.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'd hope for Putin and Hillary/Obama (whomever it is at that moment) to view past their differences, take a ruler, draw a line through Turkey and say 'lets meet there for barbeque, beer, vodka and Borscht, and bomb turkey back to the medieval, where their curren political mind set is originating from. I'll also rent front row seats from my beach property in greece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't the US have nukes and lots of weapons in turkey? Yah that will not go over well. NATO would strip Turkey as a member and the EU/Russia/US will basically end Erdogan.

Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    According to wikipedia you just set off explosive materials to compress 2 nuclear materials to get your fission reaction going. I guess some timing is needed (especially in the implosion design), I'm not sure they are that intricate that if you already have all the mats you can't do it..

Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    Let's be honest: there is a lot of evidence, that Erdogan actually sympathises with the islamic state. At least we know that he tries to establish a strict and proud Muslim Culture in his own country, which Atatürk initially tried to seperate from politics.

Now comes the plot twist: What if Erdogan secretly wants to cooperate/merge with his personal SS (ISIS), a mob full of radical fanatics that will so the dirty work for him?

It would lead to a NATO ragequit, but his chances to get in the EU are below zero anyway. He was never more megalomaniac then now! This has a potential for a 3rd world war O_o
    Yeah, except the fact that ISIS consider Erdogan an infidel and would never partner up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Yeah, except the fact that ISIS consider Erdogan an infidel and would never partner up with him.
    I think most of turkey, as they have suffered terror at the hands of isis as well, are more the issue here. Isis is probably more flexible when it comes to their allegiance, at least in the upper echelons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    According to wikipedia you just set off explosive materials to compress 2 nuclear materials to get your fission reaction going. I guess some timing is needed (especially in the implosion design), I'm not sure they are that intricate that if you already have all the mats you can't do it..
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure getting the fissionable material is the hard part.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    The US bases in Turkey would instantly be ordered to take him out.

I guess they'd make at least viable dirty bombs anyway, which isn't exactly nice either. They can probably disable the missile part of them though (as that takes actual precise computing), but frankly I doubt Erdogan is that stupid in the first place. Pissing off NATO won't do him any good and I doubt the US is just sitting idle in their base and twiddle their thumbs. At least I hope so..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Sorry, not going to happen. After WW2 the US War Agenda is preventing WW3 and the use of nukes. Honestly, we knew we landed the first one it was a game changer. Soon after every country would have them, or try to get them, and it will end of the world. Outside of extremists, no one in their right mind wants that.

So we set up mock war in the ME to drum up the constant state of War tech. This is to ensure they we are ahead in the game of counter nuke technology. A good way to test your systems, and ensure your CoC works.

But beyond that, it will never happen. There is too much at stake, and secondly, the US has too much counter tech and so far ahead in Navy that a nuke war would leave the US largely intact outside of Fallout.

Why do you think we spend so much on Military?
    Wait. What does it have to do with the US and what does it have to do with nukes?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they'd make at least viable dirty bombs anyway, which isn't exactly nice either. They can probably disable the missile part of them though (as that takes actual precise computing), but frankly I doubt Erdogan is that stupid in the first place. Pissing off NATO won't do him any good and I doubt the US is just sitting idle in their base and twiddle their thumbs. At least I hope so..
    I'm pretty confident the US is already planning for an attack and a destabilization of the Turkish government as an as needed "just in case" scenario if Egerdogan so much as sneezes in Incirlik's direction again. He only got away with what he did because he arrested his own military located on the base.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

What if Trump joins the mexican drug cartells to form a new crusader nation? I mean they are both christians and both evil!
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Yes, but the casing usually doesn't react to well to being tampered with. Gun design nukes are, as far as I remember, no longer in use, and the implosion ones are ralativly difficult to access. Without 'launch codes' you have a very heavy and expensive paperweight to throw at the enemy (potentially radioactive, if it breaks, but triggering the explosion is not that easy.) The bombs stationed in Turkey are deployed by plane, not mounted on ICBMs. I'd also assume the US has taken some precaution as to stationing nukes with foreign powers, allied or not. There's also the theory that there are no nukes whatsoever in Turkey and that they are only a decoy.

I think uranium has to be enriched to 85% to be more then 'just' radioactive, as opposed to uranium used in reactors, which is around 5%, and under 1% in natural uranium deposits. Plutonium is, I think, a byproduct of running a nuclear power plant, it forms in the uranium fuel assembly.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actualy am ok with the turks forming a new ottoman caliphate with isis and other islamic countrys from the region. Let's not forget it was the promisse of a unified islamic caliphate by Lawrence of Arabia and the subsquent division of the entire region for Britain and France that started all this wars in the middle-east.

The entire middle-east (except Israel) is mostly islamic so why not a unified country? That's what they want, thats what isis initialy want (the more fanatic daeshians want the caliphate to extend to Europe but the core desire of them is just a unified islamic country in the middle east.

Deleted
    Then the west will do what it always did in the region, support another group to power. In this case Russia might help too since I doubt they'd like a giant Islamic Calyphate at their doorstep and we'd probably support Kurdistan.

Having the entire West+Russia+some others on our side versus Turkey where not all the civilians would be on Erogan's side + ISIS, I think we'd win detached.

That's just bullshit fiction. But Turkey might actually side with either Iran or Russia in the upcoming years. Its directon shows a route opposite to Europe's.

It does feel like Turkey's going to be a threat soon...

The major problem is that too much of the population is behind Erdogan or at least his fundamentalist Islam way of thinking? If that doesn't change it wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by muwatallis View Post
    That's just bullshit fiction. But Turkey might actually side with either Iran or Russia in the upcoming years. Its directon shows a route opposite to Europe's.
    Turkey teaming up with Russia or Iran isn't terribly likely due to history. It's surely not impossible but I've seen no indications this is likely given that Turkey was literally shooting down Russian jets earlier this year.