10+ Year Old Account

Nameplates being pushed by edge of screen annoying you? Here's how to disable:

For some of us, since the pre-patch our nameplates have been pushed around by the edge of the screen. In effect, A mob you're in combat with can run behind your camera and their plate is still visible on the lower edge of your display. Some people love this, but others like myself find it disconcerting.

The solution is actually rather simple. Simply log in and type into your chat frame the following:

/run SetCVar("nameplateMaxDistance", 100) SetCVar("nameplateOtherTopInset", -1) SetCVar("nameplateOtherBottomInset", -1)ReloadUI()

The game may warn you about running foreign scripts. This is good advice as some scripts can potentially harm you. But the one I gave you is harmless, it simply changes some of the console variables for the nameplates.

"nameplateMaxDistance", 100 is in yards. The old default is 40. This number represents the distance the target must be before nameplates stop showing. If you so desire you can set this value to personal taste; for instance if your spells have a 45-yd range you may wish to set it to 45 for easy clarification as to what is in range simply by whether or not you can see its nameplate. I personally found 100 a bit excessive so I lowered mine to the classic value of 40.

Now this solution isn't perfect; it has to be done on a per-character basis. So log into an alt who hasn't had this treatment performed, and you have to do it again. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing; you may wish to have a different nameplate visibility range on different characters to suit your taste.

If you're lazy like me and just want the changes to apply all the time, even to new characters you later decide to make then your best bet is to write a basic AddOn that applies the 'fix' every time you log in or reload the UI, it's very simple to do:

Open a notepad program, create two blank files. Call one StaticNameplates.lua Call the other StaticNameplates.toc (Capitalization is important)

In StaticNameplates.lua, put:

Code:
    local Frame = CreateFrame("Frame")
    Frame:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")

Frame:SetScript("OnEvent", function(...)
    SetCVar("nameplateMaxDistance", 100) SetCVar("nameplateOtherTopInset", -1) SetCVar("nameplateOtherBottomInset", -1)
    end)
    In Staticnameplates.toc, put:

Code:
    ## Title: Static Nameplates
    ## Interface: 70000
    ## Notes: Prevents nameplates from moving around
    ## Version: 1.0

StaticNameplates.lua
    Save both, and put both in a folder called StaticNameplates in your Interface/AddOns folder. Job done. With the AddOn you can also change the visibility value to suit personal taste by going back into the .lua file and replacing the 100 value with whatever you want. (I think 100 is the maximum but I may be wrong)

To restore original functionality:
    Code:
    /run for k, v in pairs({"nameplateMaxDistance", "nameplateOtherTopInset", "nameplateOtherBottomInset"}) do SetCVar(v, GetCVarDefault(v)) end
    Last edited by Will; 2016-07-23 at 02:57 AM.

Anyone can confirm that its not some bogus script?
    Last edited by Driveskull; 2016-10-27 at 12:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's effectively doing something that's far less complicated than what the vast majority of real AddOns do. Quite simply put it changes 3 console variables related to nameplate handling. I posted this out of a genuine interest in helping others out.

If you are still suspicious of me for some reason, well people are discussing this very script in this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ght=nameplates (scroll down to post #4)
    Last edited by Will; 2016-07-22 at 05:09 PM.

It's nothing malicious.
    @Will: You can use [CODE]your code here[/CODE]
    Code:
     tags to wrap your Lua code (and the .toc contents) for easier copy-paste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Frame:SetScript("OnEvent", function(...)
    SetCVar("nameplateMaxDistance", 100) SetCVar("nameplateOtherTopInset", -1) SetCVar("nameplateOtherBottomInset", -1)ReloadUI()
    end)
    You shouldn't trigger an UI reload upon logging in, as that effectively doubles character loading time due to having to load everything, save everything and load everything again.

Deleted
    They're going to remove this function next patch.
    After all, people doing this have an unfair advantage over those who don't know about it.

You got any of these lines to make damage numbers a bit bigger? When zoomed out to the max I can barely see them now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    You got any of these lines to make damage numbers a bit bigger? When zoomed out to the max I can barely see them now.
    Since when do damage numbers scale with zoom? Is that new too?

I actually was more disconcerted by nameplates suddenly showing up at 60 yards (outside casting distance) when I had gotten so used to knowing I could cast on any nameplates I could see (the old 37 yards), so learning that the maximum nameplate visibility distance was made adjustable was really nice. Thank you very much!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    You shouldn't trigger an UI reload upon logging in, as that effectively doubles character loading time due to having to load everything, save everything and load everything again.
    Well spotted, I forgot to take that part out. I basically slap dashed the original script in and didn't consider to remove the /reloadui element. Hopefully any folk who already did this will swing by, see my error and take the reload part out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    You can try typing /console floatingCombatTextCombatDamageDirectionalScale 0 into the game chat, but bear in mind this will disable the sprinkler behaviour 7.0 added to the combat text.

This forum topic has all the tweaks you may find useful if you are missing old functionality:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17612581707

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    They're going to remove this function next patch.
    After all, people doing this have an unfair advantage over those who don't know about it.
    Remove what function? If anything one could argue that the new nameplate's ability to stick to the screen's edge is advantageous over the old functionality. I just prefer them staying above the character's head. If you're referring to the ability to increase the distance they're visible from, well yeah they could put an upper limit of 60 yards. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Will; 2016-07-23 at 04:32 AM.

Thank you! <3

I just made a macro of the per character thing. BTW whats the macro to set it back to 7.0 default?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Thank you! <3

I just made a macro of the per character thing. BTW whats the macro to set it back to 7.0 default?
    yes,
    Code:
    /run for k, v in pairs({"nameplateMaxDistance", "nameplateOtherTopInset", "nameplateOtherBottomInset"}) do SetCVar(v, GetCVarDefault(v)) end
    Last edited by Will; 2016-07-23 at 03:30 AM.