Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sonic Mania, a new 2D Sonic Game!

I never thought I'd see another in my life time.

As a life long Sonic fan, this just made my night. Tears immediately.

And then at the announcement event, they had Jun motha-fuckin Senoue there to play all of his classics.

Please oh please be a good game.

I am not even asking for great, just a good game. It looks fun as hell but IMO so did many other sonic games. If this bombs I feel sonic will be a dead series.

IMO its kinda ironic I just bought like every sonic game there is in that humble bundle.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It makes me wonder what the actual Sonic team is working on. Since Sega is only producing this, not developing it.

Nothing could be worse than Sonic Boom. Right?

Right?

...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Please oh please be a good game.

I am not even asking for great, just a good game. It looks fun as hell but IMO so did many other sonic games. If this bombs I feel sonic will be a dead series.

IMO its kinda ironic I just bought like every sonic game there is in that humble bundle.
    As long as it's true to the classics and doesn't pull any Sonic 4 crap, we could have a decent game here.

They've been previously bundled and discounted a few times now. It's just to spread the news of the game a bit further as well as it being Sonic's 25th anniversary.

10+ Year Old Account
    The old 2d Sonic games are the only Sonic games in my mind. Really hyped about this. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    It makes me wonder what the actual Sonic team is working on. Since Sega is only producing this, not developing it.

Right?

...right?
    Dam that's the name of the other sonic game, it came after lost right?

To be honest I haven't played a sonic game since dreamcast. None looked appealing to me besides sonic gen but never got around to it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh, they skipped all the bad sonics in that trailer. Except heroes, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awwww yeaaaa!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

Right?

...right?
    *cough*Sonic2006*cough*furries*cough*

Wow, can't say I've looked forward to a Sonic game in over a decade. This actually looked appealing to me, music kicked ass too!
    Horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Dam that's the name of the other sonic game, it came after lost right?

To be honest I haven't played a sonic game since dreamcast. None looked appealing to me besides sonic gen but never got around to it.
    Lost World is the last Sonic game made by Sonic Team.

Sonic Boom(wii u one anyways) was made by some shovelware studio.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Sonic 2006 as bad as it was is a masterpiece compared to Sonic Boom on Wii U...

Sonic '06 is a masterpiece compared to Sonic Boom.

15+ Year Old Account
    At least 06 had one good song. Boom had nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Lost World is the last Sonic game made by Sonic Team.

Sonic Boom(wii u one anyways) was made by some shovelware studio.
    Didn't know that. Stopped fallowing sonic for the most part a long time ago.

I would like a good 3D sonic game but that's a pipe dream I guess.

To be 100% fair tho I haven't played any since dreamcast, none seemed appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my shit. Really hope it gets a retail release, though I wont hold my breath seeing they were too cheap to ever do a compilation of the three Sonic 4 episodes into one. Maybe Yacht Club will publish one since they are doing the Gunvolt double pack outside of Japan.

I would have been happy with just a new game made similar to the style of the classic stages from Generations, but this is going above the bar as far as doing a proper "return-to-roots" anniversary game. It also sounds like it may be more like a compilation of stages from the Mega Drive games with some new mechanics and new stages mixed in rather then an entire new game from scratch (as in every zone being new).
    I kind of wonder if this was something a fan team was working on and they showed if off to Sega who gave them the ok to make it into a legit game like Capcom did with MegaMan X Street Fighter.

Sonic '06 is a masterpiece compared to Sonic Boom.
    Eh, idk if I would agree with that. I can play Sonic Boom for what it is, the glitches are obvious, but dont really effect the actual way the game plays, where as with 06 its as if the game is actually trying to hinder you in nearly every portion of it.

Still waiting for Sonic Xtreme to one day get released.

What is this Freedom Planet knockoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Eh, idk if I would agree with that. I can play Sonic Boom for what it is, the glitches are obvious, but dont really effect the actual way the game plays, where as with 06 its as if the game is actually trying to hinder you in nearly every portion of it.

Still waiting for Sonic Xtreme to one day get released.
    Well it's easy to "not effect the way the game plays" when the game plays like a Chinese knock off of ratchet and clank...

Sonic 06 is terrible but it's not a bootleg of a complete different game, it's at least a bad sonic game not a bad game with sonic name's attached to try and sell copies.

So the best thing here is Christian Whitehead aka Taxman is leading the team.

He made a Sonic Game engine from scratch as a fan project (http://info.sonicretro.org/Retro_Sonic), and since it became such a perfect game engine he went on to get hired to make the recent ports of Sonic CD and 1 and 2 to consoles and phones. These ports went above and beyond the normal emulated ports.
    They added extra characters to games that didn't have them and even added an extra hidden zone to Sonic 2.

This logo pretty much guarantees the level of quality on this project.

Just try the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remakes recently.

The fact that Sega are now giving him the green light for a full blown fresh Sonic game is amazing news, and something that he's been working towards for years and years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well it's easy to "not effect the way the game plays" when the game plays like a Chinese knock off of ratchet and clank...

Sonic 06 is terrible but it's not a bootleg of a complete different game, it's at least a bad sonic game not a bad game with sonic name's attached to try and sell copies.

True enough, but I can still at least play the game in the same way I can play bad knock offs like Scaler, Ruff Trigger and Malice on the PS2, 06 was just pain the entire time. I cant recall a single portion of that game that did not have some glaring defect that made it feel like the game itself was trying to stop me from doing any type of progression in it in some way, and I was playing the "better" version of it on 360. At least the main menu worked.

From watching the trailer again it looks like they are using Sonic CD as the main inspiration since they use a lot of the same animations from it and many of the new stages seem to have a similar feel to those that CD had (minus the Green Hill one they showed).
    get hired to make the recent ports of Sonic CD and 1 and 2 to consoles
    That makes sense then and also why it feels like this was a fan project green lit by Sega.

Come on Sega, show Capcom how a 25th anniversary is done and port this with the recent updated ports into a single compilation pack!
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2016-07-23 at 03:18 AM.

There's also this one now too-

Which also interestingly enough lists the NX as a system at the end.