Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Upgrade PC for Legion

Hi guys ! :)
    I would like to have ur help in order to upgrade my current computer, in order to run smoothly Legion when it launches.

My current build is
    CPU : Intel Core i7 920 - 2.67 GHz
    Motherboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T Rev 1.xx
    Memory : 6 Go DDR3 534.50 MHz
    GC : ATI Radeon HD 5870
    Screen : HP w2216
    Power supply : 850W

What should i upgrade first ? I did not build this PC, so i don't know which components is the older.

Budget : 500-600E (without the price of the screen)
    Need an os: No
    Need peripherals : I would like to change my screen since i have it since almost 10 years. But don't count it in my budget.
    Parts : See above
    Games/settings : WoW : The highest i can with my budget

Thanks in advance :) !
    Last edited by mmoc480d03a468; 2016-07-23 at 02:42 PM.

If you can reuse your old case (which you did not list) you can save some money, this one should be decent, bit over budget though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€143.50 @ Amazon France)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€34.90 @ Amazon France)
    Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€90.90 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€37.90 @ Amazon France)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€74.29 @ Amazon France)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card (€145.40 @ Amazon France)
    Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case (€90.30 @ Amazon France)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€74.28 @ Amazon France)
    Total: €691.47
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 19:52 CEST+0200

Deleted
    Thanks for your answer.

Since i don't know much in hardware, i have few questions, sorry if it looks dumb
    1) In which settings can i raid with at least 50 fps ? What would be my "recommended settings" ?
    2)Is the CPU cooler really necessary with the CPU u adviced me ? Can i use it for other CPU i have upgrade it in few years ? I don't mind buy him, it's not expensive, just asking for curiosity

I don't know the brand of the case, but pictures : imgur.com/a/P0hvw
    I think it is big enough ?

Thanks !

Well my main problem with pc partpicker is that for France a whole lot of the pricess are missing, so if you can buy the CPU in a boxed version iso OEM/tray you get a basic cooler with it which would be sufficient as you can not overclock this CPU. If Intel sticks to the same socket design you might be able to still use it, hell depending on which one you have now you might be able to reuse it, looks like you have a noctua one, not sure about the model, you would just need some new paste.

As for settings in raids, that will be a bit of a mix and match,but it should run pretty decently wow does not need too much GPU power, but if you can skip the cooler and case you could get a better GPU something like the 1060 3gb or an RX 480.

Deleted
    Hello
    I did some research about the 2 others GC, and the MSI Radeon RX 480 - 8 Go (if u are talking about this one) seems interesting, i will probably take it with the rest of the setup u did, if it can fit with ?

Thanks a lot

Yeah it should work ok with the rest of the parts. Jusyt make sure your case is big enough, normally it should be but can't hurt to double check.

Deleted
    Hello ty !
    Isn't it a problem that the motherboard doesn't support crossfire ?

Quote Originally Posted by Myelite View Post
    Hello ty !
    Isn't it a problem that the motherboard doesn't support crossfire ?
    No crossfire is completely irrelevant unless you are using AMD GPUs and you plan to use 2 or more of them.

Deleted
    Thanks Mythbredor !
    Have a nice evening.

- - - Updated - - -

A last question !
    Isn't it a problem that the CPU is an i3 ? Can it works as well as an i5/I7 for WoW ? I was wondering because i don't really know the difference between i3/5/7, but the 3.8 frequency seems good
    Last edited by mmoc480d03a468; 2016-07-26 at 02:51 PM.

Deleted
    If your PSU is 850W, which i doubt, you don't need to buy a new one.

Thanks Mythbredor !
    Have a nice evening.

- - - Updated - - -

A last question !
    Isn't it a problem that the CPU is an i3 ? Can it works as well as an i5/I7 for WoW ? I was wondering because i don't really know the difference between i3/5/7, but the 3.8 frequency seems good
    The difference is the number of real/virtual cores and processor cache. It's 2/4 for i3, 4/4 for i5 and 4/8 for i7. WoW doesnt fully utilize even 4 cores and i3 have a higher frequency than most i5 so i3 is a better choice than a lesser i5.

Deleted
    Thanks everyone
    Yes, the PSU really is 850W, i know it's strange with the rest of the setup.

So, i intend to buy

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€143.50 @ Amazon France)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€34.90 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€37.90 @ Amazon France)
    GC : http://www.materiel.net/carte-graphi...go-131627.html

Does everything works together ? (not considering the dimension of my case and my PSU, which are fine it seems)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€120.99 @ Amazon France)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€65.82 @ Amazon France)
    Other: RX 480 (€260.00)
    Total: €537.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-27 15:25 CEST+0200

There is no reason to buy this cooler for i3. Also you can get a boxed i3 for 120 EUR instead of 143. Added 16GB memory instead. If you can add a little bit more you can swap i3-6100 for i5-6500 (120 vs 200). No changes on the videocard.

Deleted
    Thanks !
    Yeah i just saw this CPU and i went here to ask if it was worth the price but it seems yes
    If i take the i5-6500, does i need a cooler ?
    I can add a little more since i can pay each month a little bit

Thanks !
    Yeah i just saw this CPU and i went here to ask if it was worth the price but it seems yes
    If i take the i5-6500, does i need a cooler ?
    I can add a little more since i can pay each month a little bit
    You dont need it for performance reasons, you might want it for noise reduction (stock cooler has a very high RPM 90mm cooler) but you can always get that later if you're unhappy with a stock cooler too much.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot !
    I think i will wait a bit for the cooler, usually the noise doesn't bother me.
    I think i will finally take a PSU because i don't know how old is the PSU in my setup and i don't want it to die in the next months.
    Can u advice me a PSU who is enough for the i5 6500, RX 480 and the rest of the setup ?

Thanks again, ur help is very much appreciated

Thanks a lot !
    I think i will wait a bit for the cooler, usually the noise doesn't bother me.
    I think i will finally take a PSU because i don't know how old is the PSU in my setup and i don't want it to die in the next months.
    Can u advice me a PSU who is enough for the i5 6500, RX 480 and the rest of the setup ?

Thanks again, ur help is very much appreciated
    http://www.rue-montgallet.com/prix/a...12ii-82,645491

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00211285.html

Deleted
    I'm not sure i can buy the PSU yet, so could u tell me if i can connect everything to this : http://www.materiel.net/alimentation...50w-44393.html
    This is my current PSU, i just found the brand. Just asking because i had bad experience with missing cables..

Thanks again, sorry for asking for so much

I'm not sure i can buy the PSU yet, so could u tell me if i can connect everything to this : http://www.materiel.net/alimentation...50w-44393.html
    This is my current PSU, i just found the brand. Just asking because i had bad experience with missing cables..

Thanks again, sorry for asking for so much
    You should be fine. Monitor voltages though, you never know when it dies.

Deleted
    How can i do it ?
    Do i risk to damage my others components if the PSU doesn't work properly ?

Thanks a lot.