When to use Energizing Elixir?

I get the feeling that this ability is kind of awkward. Because of Combo Strikes/Hit Combo, you can't really just dump chi. The main spenders are Fists of Fury and Rising Sun Kick, and if you try to use Fists you will just sit at max energy for forever. I just don't know when to use it to be most effective, and it just feels unnecessary every time. WW Ability Cooldowns seem to be long enough that you will always have enough chi/energy for whatever you need to get off.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's useful for the start of fights and burst later in the fight. You use it whenever you're out of chi and you're not at full energy. In general there are definitely moments where it fits and can be used well.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10-15 seconds before pull will get the most out of the chi and start a good chunk of the cooldown, beyond that, it's optimizing using as much chi right before needing more would be ideal (FoF coming off cooldown, etc.) or in moments where casting SCK more frequently to burst adds might be useful. It's likely going to be used more for the chi than the energy, but ideally you should try to maximize both. As a passive, power strikes is pretty nice at the moment, however, and still gets you plenty of chi.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WindigoEJ View Post
    10-15 seconds before pull will get the most out of the chi and start a good chunk of the cooldown, beyond that, it's optimizing using as much chi right before needing more would be ideal (FoF coming off cooldown, etc.) or in moments where casting SCK more frequently to burst adds might be useful. It's likely going to be used more for the chi than the energy, but ideally you should try to maximize both. As a passive, power strikes is pretty nice at the moment, however, and still gets you plenty of chi.
    You should never use it more than 10s before the pull. Chi starts to decay after 10s. Best bet is to use it at 9 on a pull timer.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

7+ Year Old Account
    As Baby said, use it whenever you're out of chi and need chi quickly. In general, I'd try to delay it slightly if both Rising Sun Kick and Fists of Fury (and Strike of the Windlord in Legion) are on CD. I.e., use it when you're out of chi but can also start spending chi right after using the elixir. With RSK's short CD you shouldn't have to delay EE for very long. Also, try not to worry too much about using EE inefficiently (wasting some of the energy it provides). Its impossible to not waste anything at all with this talent and wasting just a little bit more or less won't affect your DPS significantly.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman