Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Exclamation Alterac Valley is actually fun again

Didn't see a thread about this. All the mobs are levels 109 - 110 which means they hit like trucks. We've summoned Lok in 2 games so far, Wolf Riders in another. Teams are working together and it is hilarious watching someone assume they can run into a GY and 1 shot the guards only to be the ones being one shot themselves. Games lasting 30m-1hour+

Blizzard PLEASE keep it this way!! Make the NPCs matter by buffing the hell out of them!

Seriously? Didn't know they made any changes to AV... I'll have to check it out later.

I personally hate av with a passion especially on the horde side. That long for a game rewarding one mark of honor is discouraging. Also that bug where its no longer on my BG block list when I relog is quite aggravating too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfury View Post
    I personally hate av with a passion especially on the horde side. That long for a game rewarding one mark of honor is discouraging. Also that bug where its no longer on my BG block list when I relog is quite aggravating too.
    We have enough battlegrounds that are over in 10 minutes. This AV is fun, engaging and offers tons of potential for strategy. Much better than the garbage that was 'ride past each other and kill a weak boss at the end'...

Seeing the Horde fight again in AV is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    With Honor Points removed, I see no reason to sit in AV for 30m-1hr just for 1 Mark... and only if you win. Not worth my time, so both 40 mans have been blocked.
    yeah, how stupid, doing something fun in a game

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really a fan of long AV matches because they tend to involve russians mowing the raid down at a gy. Nothing fun about that, unless I get to kill them in Stormpike's room for the achievement.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flavour Cat View Post
    I'm not really a fan of long AV matches because they tend to involve russians mowing the raid down at a gy. Nothing fun about that, unless I get to kill them in Stormpike's room for the achievement.
    I've not experienced any graveyard farming (guessing partly because GYs are actually difficult to take over - the guards one shot you if you're unprepared)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxo View Post
    yeah, how stupid, doing something fun in a game
    ^_^. I know, right? The game has enough short battlegrounds that we can afford to have a larger scale, lengthier PvP battle. The game allows you to permanently remove it from your rotation if you don't want to play long games.

I always block AV and Isle. As said before me here, one mark isn't a lot. Unless farming them for exp, it doesn't mean much to me.

Though if you're doing it for fun and not marks, yeah I completely agree, it's a lot more oldschool right now which is pretty badass.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

I'm having a blast with it right now but it kinda bugs me how easy it is for Blizzard to change it from an idiot zerg to actually being fun. Hell, they never even lasted beyond an hour so it's not like AV is a giant timesink or anything now, and the honor gain is well worth it.

It's incredibly fun right now and I'd suggest nostalgic people to go try it out, OP is right. Huge resource wars, long turtles on nodes and taking down any of the bosses feels like a pretty huge ordeal. Even better, because they fiddled with accuracy in Legion, you're not even missing all the time like you should be.

7+ Year Old Account
    o.o
    i didnt even know they made changes to them.
    gonna enable it again.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    o.o
    i didnt even know they made changes to them.
    gonna enable it again.
    I don't know if the changes are intentional is sort of my worry. The mobs right now are what they would be for level-cap, and seeing as it's pre-patch and most of the game is designed around the level-cap (like arties), I'm thinking once we all hit 110, the mobs will still be 109-110, therefore ruining this entire thing.

Realllllly hoping the fun AV sticks around though.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficents View Post
    Didn't see a thread about this. All the mobs are levels 109 - 110 which means they hit like trucks. We've summoned Lok in 2 games so far, Wolf Riders in another. Teams are working together and it is hilarious watching someone assume they can run into a GY and 1 shot the guards only to be the ones being one shot themselves. Games lasting 30m-1hour+

Blizzard PLEASE keep it this way!! Make the NPCs matter by buffing the hell out of them!
    Awesome. I used to love old AV, summoning the druids and pushing with them used to be awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    I don't know if the changes are intentional is sort of my worry. The mobs right now are what they would be for level-cap, and seeing as it's pre-patch and most of the game is designed around the level-cap (like arties), I'm thinking once we all hit 110, the mobs will still be 109-110, therefore ruining this entire thing.

This always happens, the NPCs being buffed. It really does improve AV and *shudder* IoC.

Deleted
    Thing is, this is only temporary. As soon we get to 110 in 110 gear it becomes a rush-fest where the NPCs are irrelevant once more. Blizz doesn't have the balls to make a longer control style BG. They could easily compensate for the time it takes by increasing the reward, but they wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Thing is, this is only temporary. As soon we get to 110 in 110 gear it becomes a rush-fest where the NPCs are irrelevant once more. Blizz doesn't have the balls to make a longer control style BG.
    To be honest though, as much as a fun and long AV is pretty cool, I imagine it would be unpopular enough that it would be a really specific demographic doing it, (probably Vanilla veterans).

Then again, I think 95% of those at max-level uncheck AV and IoC (and 4% don't know they can uncheck), so I guess it wouldn't matter how unpopular it would be. Here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post

Well, remember that mobs scale to your level when Legion launches. I know thats only in legion zones, but they could easily apply that to AV so it stays hard. Im assuming, eventually, that they will apply this scaling tech to Azeroth and other places in general so we can visit zones that we havent been to in years for something like a world quest. They could definitely apply it to BGs like AV.

I just can't wait until Demon Hunter's are playable to see an AV with 39 DH's on each side zipping, double-jumping and gliding all over the place while the one lone healer is running around exasperated trying to get within range of someone.

I normally don't like AV, but this kind of sounds fun. Maybe I'll give it another try later.

Deleted
    This happens every expansion, it's just tuned for 110 and it's going to be the same faceroll rush when you hit 110.

have they brought back the goblin shredders?